Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone see that David Attenborough ep where the (African Rock?) python ate the antelope? The scales at the sides of the snake actually split and tore because the meal was so big! But Attenborough reckoned it was OK and would heal no probs!

I'm not suggesting this is ideal, but just goes to show what they are capable of swallowing!

you snake looks pretty funny with all that food.

Did anyone see that David Attenborough ep where the (African Rock?) python ate the antelope? The scales at the sides of the snake actually split and tore because the meal was so big! But Attenborough reckoned it was OK and would heal no probs!

I'm not suggesting this is ideal, but just goes to show what they are capable of swallowing!

I heard about that. Do you know where I could find a video or a link to it?

was that on teh life in cold blood series?

if so its out on DVD.

More correctly, if the snake is too cold it can't digest the food item and it is in danger of going rotten inside the snake.

When i started keeping snakes i made this mistake. It was a 6ft olive and i fed it too many large adult rats one time. I did this as i was told to keep offering food in each feed session until he refused, so i did. Obviously the temp wasn't high enough, and being such a greedy snake he didn't, or maybe couldn't throw them up. After two-three days i could smell them rotting in him so took him to the vet. Two hours and 400 bucks later he was ratless, had stiches that needed treament for 2 months and i had to administer antibiotic injections for two weeks. I learnt never to over feed again, and to this day i'd rather give small meals and not too many at a time.

So yeah, maybe it's good to feed them something large once in a while for enrichment and for some twisted people, for a laugh, but i highly suggest you rethink it coz it could cost you a lot of money and even your snakes life.

BTW, after he healed from this operation, every time i would enter the enclosure, smelling like food or not, he would grab me in a feed bite and wouldn't let go. Even if he had a huge tummy full of food, he would never fail to try and eat me as well. I'm not too sure if this had anything to do with the op but it was very conincidental. So that's another thing to consider.

Adazz- sorry about my 'twisted' comment, i wasn't directing it at you or anyone else. I think we've all offered our snakes a large meal once or twice, and i'll admit it is fun to watch. IMO, to me that isn't that large of a meal for that sized snake anyway. I've seen snakes eat bigger with no ill affect. Just thought i'd let you and others know that it can be detrimental to their health, and your hip pocket!!
Please no flaming... sorry again.

yikes, thats pretty full on!!

good thing to mention, i wouldnt have thought with the right temps and stuff that could happen,...

When i started keeping snakes i made this mistake. It was a 6ft olive and i fed it too many large adult rats one time. I did this as i was told to keep offering food in each feed session until he refused, so i did. Obviously the temp wasn't high enough, and being such a greedy snake he didn't, or maybe couldn't throw them up. After two-three days i could smell them rotting in him so took him to the vet. Two hours and 400 bucks later he was ratless, had stiches that needed treament for 2 months and i had to administer antibiotic injections for two weeks. I learnt never to over feed again, and to this day i'd rather give small meals and not too many at a time.

So yeah, maybe it's good to feed them something large once in a while for enrichment and for some twisted people, for a laugh, but i highly suggest you rethink it coz it could cost you a lot of money and even your snakes life.

BTW, after he healed from this operation, every time i would enter the enclosure, smelling like food or not, he would grab me in a feed bite and wouldn't let go. Even if he had a huge tummy full of food, he would never fail to try and eat me as well. I'm not too sure if this had anything to do with the op but it was very conincidental. So that's another thing to consider.

yikes, thats pretty full on!!

good thing to mention, i wouldnt have thought with the right temps and stuff that could happen,...

Well the temp he was at at the time wasn't that much under what's required to successfully digest, so that's why i didn't worry. I'd say it happened because there was just so much food in his gut that the temp didn't matter. I'm not sure, i've never had it happen again to see what caused it (too much food or not high enough temp) and i don't plan on it happening again. So i'm fine not knowing what the cause was. I just put it down to a combination of both.

I'm sure David Attenborough (and I have the greatest respect for him), would not really know what effect eating such a large meal would have had on the snake. It would be interesting to come back in a couple of weeks and see how the snaked had fared.

Here's a pic of a snake who decided to eat something a bit large. It had fatal consequences :|

Attachments

• snake33.jpg
    snake33.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 164
Hi all, chiming in for my two cents worth. In my opinion the rat your python was eating a rat that was the right sie for him. So long a he has a good hot spot in order to digest a meal of that nature you will have no problems. I wouldn't recommend feeding him again until after he has passed a sizeable faeces though.

In regards to the size of the rat, there is no dramas with that. He got it down OK by the looks. A snake won't eat something it cant eat. If he couldn't get it down, he wouldn't have.

Fear not all is good.

that snake was attacked by another crock after digesting... would of been fine otherwise.

I am fairly sure Sir Attenborough knows what he is on about. I have seen first hand a snake that actually tore the membrane (skin) between the scales. It healed with no problems. The snake was a 3 meter scrubby who at a wallaby on the Northern side of Cairns and got stuck behind a stock fence. He was taken to a care shelter for two weeks until he had digested it enough and he hd no ill effects (oh, and no medical intervention either).

Cheers

FNQ_Snake

FNQ_Snake - sorry was talking about the alagator pic not the antelope thing mentioned earlier.

Its a fake and the meal is a gator.

is the fact that it ate a gator fake... or the being attacked by another gator.....?

im pretty sure i seen the orginal report on the world news..... ill see if i can find a vid?

anyway back on topic... ive noticed quite a few you tube vids where they feed the snake what i would concicer a large meal... none of them seem to have any issues with digestion.... but then again... there only feeding them one thing......

^^^^does any of my post make sence^^^^

If there is a basking spot for the snake to digest it's food, it is fine. Nothing to do with the item too big.

If there is a basking spot for the snake to digest it's food, it is fine. Nothing to do with the item too big.

Exactly, a snake will only eat a meal it can swallow. It then naturally seeks out a warm area to digest its food.

sorry but i disagree, snakes will try and get down large prey that is not a suitable size for them, and it can and quite often does do them harm. ie high risk of canker, if temps are too hot or to cold digestion problems can occur.
The amount of snakes ive seen die over the years from people feeding them large prey items is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back