Opinions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh1321995

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i have just got an eastern water dragon and i am fixing up the enclosure for it and i was just wondering what substrate you all would prefer to use for both the saftey of the animal and for looks?
the two i would like to choose from would be a bark mixture or sand. the tank has a seperated glass water area and the rest is land so i simply wanted to know what you think is best:) Thankyou

I use a coco-peat and sand mixture, just washed play sand and the compressed coc-peat bricks from bunnings. They love to dig about in it, I have noticed that it does stick to their food (I try to avoid it, but it still happens occasionally), but so far no issues from that.
It looks pretty good too I think.
Be aware though that watever you use WILL end up in the water, they're messy little buggers! Because of that, if you're filtering the water, you will have to clean out the filter often. I've got an eheim 2217 running on essentially a 2-foot tank for them, and I have to clean it probably every 3 weeks or so, just because it gets clogged.

i use half astro turf the other half sand from bunnings washed out in hot water, was using kitter krumble , nothing wrong with it at all just wanted a change

dont use sand !!! breeders choice recycled paper pellets are good

these arnt heaps good with water dragons because the put water everywhere. once they get a little bigger they will trash the place.. i use compressed coco peat too(brunnings brand, no additives like fertalizer) with a bit of sand.. they can burrow in it and it takes water quite well.

I do however think these are the best substrate for my beardies and snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back