Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haymista

Reaction score
A lot of you are aware of the OPMV defamation thread posted by Dave Macintosh representing Pilbara Pythons a couple of weeks ago. My friend and I are in fact the buyers mentioned and want to clear up some rumors regarding the matter. We received three Stimson’s pythons from Luke and within 24 hours of owning them one of them died. We decided to take it to the vet for a post mortem ($140). We sent the dead python away for a histopathology exam ($200). This revealed several symptoms consistent with OPMV. Upon performing the post mortem and reading the histopathology exam our vet, David Vella, advised us that this was the probable cause of death.
When we heard this we called Luke and advised him of the situation, notifying him that the histopathology exam turned up consistent with OPMV.
I have several hatchies and have gained a lot of experience from helpful people I have met through the forums and herp societies. However I have never had a snake die on me before so my friend and I spoke to a few experienced breeders for advice. Unfourtunately news spreads fast and Dave wrote up his post.

Kind Regards

Pete (haymista) and Paul (Arbok)

This could be devistating (as it was for you) to many other people and collections.

But it does make you wonder how many others will do the right thing and not on sell something that 'may be' infected or destroy collections not showing signs.

Good Luck with what ever the outcome is...

Last edited:
Whats all this mean? Are we supposed to all panic right now?

Understand that the thread was made to stop rumors, not to force luke into quarantine

wow

and the truth is out i feel sorry for ya mate

Anything "consistant with OPMV should be treated as OPMV. Lets just hope that this matter is handled a bit more maturely, truthfuly & responsably than the initial deformation thread.
cheers HK.

So just to clarify, there's no new news? No confirmation that it definitely is OPMV?

this is what everyone was asking for in the OPMV defamation thread, it says consistent with opmv, is this not good enough?

hope this isnt as big as it could be. there could be a number of people with both small and large collections that this could affect. wishing everyone a happy outcome

I am sorry to hear about you snakes, and sorry you had to go through all this, i just hope this doesnt turn you off reptiles all together!!!
As for 'OPMV' i would have to agree with herpkeeper, treat it seriously!

this is what everyone was asking for in the OPMV defamation thread, it says consistent with opmv, is this not good enough?

I could have sworn I saw a post from one of the two of you saying that you didn't think it was OPMV....I think my wits must beaddled because I can't see it now. Time to buy new glasses.

As for good enough, I'm not sure what it is you wan't me to say here. OPMV consistent could be anything. Or it could be OPMV, since someone in the previous thread mentioned there would be further testing I made the logical conclusion you'd created the thread to share the confirmation. My mistake.

OPMV or not it shouldnt be ignored. As far as i know the next step in further testing can be very costly

i could have sworn I saw a post from one of the two of you saying that you didn't think it was OPMV....I think my wits must beaddled because I can't see it now. Time to buy new glasses.

As for good enough, I'm not sure what it is you wan't me to say here. OPMV consistent could be anything. Or it could be OPMV, I share the same view as herpkeeper, anything consistent should be treated as OPMV.

since someone in the previous thread mentioned there would be further testing I made the logical conclusion you'd created the thread to share the confirmation. My mistake. I dont recall myself or haymista making such a post, i will back log just to make sure.

Well that's very sad and I would imagine hard to deal with not only losing that animal, but having to put down the rest, especially on the basis of an OPMV consistent diagnosis and not having that 100% confirmation. My condolences.

Hmm, I didn't say it was yourself or haymista who mentioned the further testing, in fact until this thread I didn't even know you were the two (one?) person/people involved. No, I believe it may have been Luke or Dave who mentioned it. It seemed logical that this would all be brought up again if there had indeed been more tests and the results confirmed.

could have sworn I saw a post from one of the two of you saying that you didn't think it was OPMV....I think my wits must beaddled because I can't see it now. Time to buy new glasses.

I saw it too - My brain is no spinning after looking for it so I'm guessing it was edited out in the specified time frame so the post does not say "Edited by blah blah blah" at the bottom of the post.

If you edit the post within a short time that edit notification doesn't come up. I know this because I always make like 5 spelling mistakes in my posts and have to edit them fairly quickly so I don't look as dumb as I can be :oops:

Well that's very sad and I would imagine hard to deal with not only losing that animal, but having to put down the rest, especially on the basis of an OPMV consistent diagnosis. My condolences. Who ever said euthanising a collection was the only way to act on OPMV? im going into lock down until im satisfied that my collection is clean, how ever long that may take.

Hmm, I didn't say it was yourself or haymista who mentioned the further testing, in fact until this thread I didn't even know you were the two (one?) person/people involved. No, I believe it may have been Luke or Dave who mentioned it. It seemed logical that this would all be brought up again if there had indeed been more tests and the results confirmed.
so your saying we should just forget about it unless we can get an 100% confirmation?

Well that's very sad and I would imagine hard to deal with not only losing that animal, but having to put down the rest, especially on the basis of an OPMV consistent diagnosis and not having that 100% confirmation. My condolences.

i think you will find this thread has been started to show vet evidence could be seen as proof against Pilbara pythons defamation thread afew weeks back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back