Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OPMV can incubate for up to 12 months. So those who have written here, that they follow strict quarantine protocol for 6 months may not be quarantining them long enough for this virus to show its face, if it is going to. Another has already pointed out on this thread that even a carrier can seem healthy and suddenly show all the symptoms in say 8 months. By this time you have introduced your new snakes to your collection.

I've also heard from various sources that OPMV in Australia isn't the same strain that is effecting reptiles in other countries. The strain here in Australia, although symptoms are very much the same it does not show up when tested. Thats why (so I discovered) Veterinary reports will state "showing symptoms consistent with OPMV" and don't give a confirmed postive diagnosis. So maybe what we have here is a strain that has developed here, perhaps from wild snakes? Still more mystery that goes unsolved.

There is a line somewhere when opmv stops and a new disease starts. It doesn't really matter if the disease is opmv , a new strain of opmv, or a new vius. The important thing is that there are diseases out there, discovered and undiscoverrred that are contageous and can kill reptiles. Accordingly all animals should be treated as though contageous and contact with other animals and keepers minimised. This is the way all animals are kept eg Johnes in sheep and cattle doesn't close the industry down but does require that stock owners take it into account in their day to day management practices.Panic and paranoir helps nothing.

Come on mark, for once in your life tell the truth and show some honesty. The spotted in question was sent down for someone else and you wanted it so bad, and the other person didnt mind, that you swaped it for one of yours.
Take me to court, everything i have said is true.

TrueBlue & Herpkeeper,
Guys... you're embarrassing yourselves... Time to swallow some pride and let it go!
I'm really not trying to have a go at you here... just trying to point out how out of control it's gotten, and hope you can both drop it...

The thing is, a number of breeders have jumped onto this thread, and claimed that (and I'm parphrasing here) 'The reason people don't come forward when they have a suspicious death is because of all the allegations and damage to their repuation that follows.' I find it amazing that the hostility is not coming from potential buyers, but from your fellow breeders!
You're eating each other alive, and stitching up your own fate in the process!

Stop now... No irreversible damage has been done yet!
I don't really know either of you from a bar of soap. I have a healthy collection that I want to protect... Whether or not you have had some scares in your collection, I would still consider buying from you in the future. It's how you conduct yourself as a breeder that determines how potential buyers think of you!
;)

The thing is, a number of breeders have jumped onto this thread, and claimed that (and I'm parphrasing here) 'The reason people don't come forward when they have a suspicious death is because of all the allegations and damage to their repuation that follows.' I find it amazing that the hostility is not coming from potential buyers, but from your fellow breeders!
You're eating each other alive, and stitching up your own fate in the process!

Stop now... No irreversible damage has been done yet!
I don't really know either of you from a bar of soap. I have a healthy collection that I want to protect... Whether or not you have had some scares in your collection, I would still consider buying from you in the future. It's how you conduct yourself as a breeder that determines how potential buyers think of you!

So well said. Scarey stuff this OPMV. I am so thankful I am in WA, but that is not to say that we won't end up with it over here at some stage down the track, as is probable. It is just sad to see everyone fly into damage control and immediately get onto the defence. It would be great to see everyone working together for a common cause.
So much of what has been said would have been so much better said in a private message.
I am not interested in seeing anybodies dirty laundry being hung out in the open, skid marks and all. I would much rather see people working together to try and rectify the situation.
I sincerely hope that all the animosity can be abolished and a guideline of protocols be formatted in dealing with situations like these.

As far as everyone getting together to stop this I'm sorry it just wont happen, that's not me being a pessimist but I am being a realist. Too many egos and too much money involved I'm afraid.

i think end off the day you should all be talking to one another off the forums to document and track what went where and how many animals are in questions swollow the pride and communicate

this is something that without some form of cooperation will continue to get passed around so be honest top yourselves and others

that is what is goign to save your credibility in your future endevours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back