Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boo.i.see.you

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am aware there has been multiple threads on the OPMV topic, I hope I can get some help...
I have been keeping reptiles for a couple of years now, but i have recently purchased a coastal carpet from a "breeder" that I have not dealt with before.
I am almost certain that it has the OPMV virus. (mouth open, lack of muscle tone and writhing)
It has been in quarantine since bringing it home, but am now worried about the rest of my collection.
Is there anything I can do to save the rest of my collection.

Take the new one to an experienced reptile vet and get a proper diagnosis then take it further from there. How safe the rest of your collection is depends on what you actually mean by quarantine and whether your quarantine process has broken down at any stage.

Take the new one to an experienced reptile vet and get a proper diagnosis then take it further from there. How safe the rest of your collection is depends on what you actually mean by quarantine and whether your quarantine process has broken down at any stage.

Exactly, if your quarantine has been rigorous then you shouldn't have transferred the virus to your other animals.

Definitely need to get the diagnosis confirmed though - with any luck you might not have an viral issue to worry about

From what i understand, although there are common symptoms, there is no way to be certain about OPMV besides post-mortem testing.

The only way to save your collection would be strict quarantine from the beginning. Personally i'd get it to the vet asap, dead or alive, so you know whether or not the rest of your collection will be at risk too.

The coastal went to the vet post Mortem, OPMV was confirmed. (autopsy)
At no stage did i break the quarantine. (separate room, in my "quarantine" viv.)
My only concern is upon doing research on the virus I found that the majority of people lost their whole collection. Quarantine or no quarantine.
I may be a bit paranoid but I am very attached to my other pythons.

There is no way to confirm OPMV with test before or after death in Australia. You may get results of 'consistant with opmv' which is basically giving you something for your money, from what I hear a specific lab is very happy to throw around the words like its nothing.

My vet concluded OPMV because he found nothing else that explained the symptoms I described. Open mouth, lost muscle tone, regurge and not been able to "right" itself.
I read on this forum somewhere that it may be an airborne virus.
Believe me when I say i hope it's not the virus, I have only ever had happy and healthy pythons, so this is a bit different to me.
I am very strict with quarantine, so things like this don't happen.
Whats worse is the "breeder" I bought the infected snake from has now advertising the sale of more snakes. I even told him about the one that i bought,
so he offered me a breeding pair of jungles for cheap. What kind of idiot does he take me for.

If the breeder in question is still selling snakes, it is - in my opinion - your obligation to alert other potential buyers. Sure it's not a legal obligation, more a moral one. What happens if it is OPMV and someone loses an expensive collection because of the breeders immoral actions. You have informed the breeder of the diagnosis haven't you?

I told the breeder straight away.
He said it must have come from my collection. NOT LIKELY
How would you alert other potential buyers.
I obviously don't want this to happen to anyone else.

You cant diagnose OPMV because you didnt find anything. Alot of post mortems show nothing, its not until you send tissue samples away that you may find something like inclusion bodies within cells due to viral damage. Even then you may not see anything. there are a good number of differential diagnoses for the same symptoms you mentioned. Any neuro affects can show the same. So unless you spent the hundreds of dollars sending the samples off and getting a blood profile tested. It could have been OPMV IBD or a neuro issue, could be bacterial, parasitic, traumatic a million things. I am happy you quarantined it but dont jump to the worst thing possible. If the breeder has any other issues he should deffinitley not be selling, or if your other snakes develop similar symptoms. But its a touchy subject. also Just be cause it cant be confirmed should not be used as a loop hole for dodgy breeders.

I told the breeder straight away.
He said it must have come from my collection. NOT LIKELY
How would you alert other potential buyers.
I obviously don't want this to happen to anyone else.

It's very difficult to warn people, with the fear of litigation always present. You can't name and shame as this will almost definitely get you an infraction. If someone PM's, just give the facts, include a caveat such as "in my opinion" and cite the vet's diagnosis. Facts of course would include the breeders name.

That is what I would do if this happened to me. I would also encourage people to PM me - but this is only what "I" would most likely do.

I didn't get any tissue or blood samples sent away, I just went on the say so from my vet.
I guess all I can do now is cross my fingers and hope for the best.

I am so sorry about what has happened to you...buying new snakes is always a stress out.

Let us know how you get on....and be very very careful what you say to people about what has happened.........there are all sorts of slander laws...you dont want to make matters worse by getting sued or something.....

We are all thinking of you and keeping our fingers crossed that it is just bad luck and something that isnt contageous.

here we go again. how can your vet say its OPMV without conducting proper testing. would love to see the vet report. or is this just another beat up to run a breeder down because your not happy with the snake you bought. hope this isnt the case, but its been done before

I didn't get any tissue or blood samples sent away, I just went on the say so from my vet.
I guess all I can do now is cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Be very very careful if you are going to put the breeders name out there. There are many things that cause symptoms similar to OPMV including some environmental factors. In my opinion without having the snake sent to a lab for testing you do not have the right to name or blame this person.

Be very very careful if you are going to put the breeders name out there. There are many things that cause symptoms similar to OPMV including some environmental factors. In my opinion without having the snake sent to a lab for testing you do not have the right to name or blame this person.

Agreed. The diagnosis of OPMV isnt worth the paper it is written on. By all means inform the breeder but it is far from enough evidence to run his/her name into the ground.

Agreed. The diagnosis of OPMV isnt worth the paper it is written on. By all means inform the breeder but it is far from enough evidence to run his/her name into the ground.

It sounds like the breeder was informed but tried to shift the blame. As to the diagnosis not being worth the paper it's written on, I beg to differ. Are you saying that the finding made by a university educated expert is not worth anything? Sure it's not a definitive diagnosis but an educated guess made by a vet is worth more than uninformed objections made by lay persons - myself included.

It sounds like the breeder was informed but tried to shift the blame. As to the diagnosis not being worth the paper it's written on, I beg to differ. Are you saying that the finding made by a university educated expert is not worth anything? Sure it's not a definitive diagnosis but an educated guess made by a vet is worth more than uninformed objections made by lay persons - myself included.

that entirely depends on the vet, asking 90% of current vets to even have an educated guess on this matter would be no different to a lay person. a reptile familiar vet on the other hand would be different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back