Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was opmv, we will see if its brothers and sisters start dying. The breeders collection should start to die too.

If it was opmv, we will see if its brothers and sisters start dying. The breeders collection should start to die too.

Only if the breeder hasn't sold his stock off to unsuspecting buyers. That's the reason why - IMO - people should be informed if they ask specifically. It's too late when many people's collections start dying.

here we go again. how can your vet say its OPMV without conducting proper testing. would love to see the vet report. or is this just another beat up to run a breeder down because your not happy with the snake you bought. hope this isnt the case, but its been done before

I specifically took the coastal to a herp vet, I even drove past 4 other vets to get there
It was never my intention to "run a breeder down". If I wasn't happy with it, I never would have bought it.
As I said before I'm concerned about the rest of my collection, and don't want this to happen to anyone else.
It would be great if it isn't OPMV. For starters I would actually get some sleep.

It sounds like the breeder was informed but tried to shift the blame. As to the diagnosis not being worth the paper it's written on, I beg to differ. Are you saying that the finding made by a university educated expert is not worth anything? Sure it's not a definitive diagnosis but an educated guess made by a vet is worth more than uninformed objections made by lay persons - myself included.

I see where you are coming from, but I think in this case a diagnosis based soley on described symptoms is flimsy at best especially with no blood or tissue samples. A diagnosis of OPMV seems to be flavour of the month and I think it is far to presumptuous to go ruining someones reputation on the information provided. As you said 'consistent with OPMV' isn't a definitive diagnosis and I just think you should be mighty sure before putting names out there as once it is you can't take it back.

How long did you have the animal before it started showing symptoms?

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the breeder was informed but tried to shift the blame. As to the diagnosis not being worth the paper it's written on, I beg to differ. Are you saying that the finding made by a university educated expert is not worth anything? Sure it's not a definitive diagnosis but an educated guess made by a vet is worth more than uninformed objections made by lay persons - myself included.

spilota - don't you know that the opinions of a forum far outweigh the diagnostic abilities of a university qualified vet with ongoing post-graduate training and experience? I think I was wrong in my first post, I should have suggested the OP put up a poll and decided what the problem was be whichever option gathered the most votes.

There is no way to confirm OPMV with test before or after death in Australia. You may get results of 'consistant with opmv' which is basically giving you something for your money, from what I hear a specific lab is very happy to throw around the words like its nothing.

This is absolutely true. I speak occasionally with Tim Hyndman in Perth, who was doing PhD work on OPMV (or whatever was suspected of being OPMV) in Australia, at Murdoch Uni, and I believe he came up with more questions than answers. It may even be that the inclusion body diseases we are seeing here in Australia are endemic (natural to Oz) diseases rather than the imported so-called OPMV. Diagnosis of any viral based inclusion body diseases (and there are several or even many of them) can only be done post-mortem, and are inconclusive in Australia. As the writer of the above post says, the best you will get is 'symptoms consistent with OPMV' if the vet knows what he is talking about.

For a vet to 'diagnose' OPMV without significant pathology work is professionally irresponsible, as much as it is impossible to confirm.

But... lock down your collection for a minimum of 6 months, nothing in and especially nothing out, and see what eventuates.

Jamie

If i had a vet diagnose OPMV because he couldn't think of another disease that could cause those symptoms i would put very little weight on the diagnosis. Perhaps he said words to the effect that those symptoms COULD BE OPMV and someone jumped the gun?

If i had a vet diagnose OPMV because he couldn't think of another disease that could cause those symptoms i would put very little weight on the diagnosis. Perhaps he said words to the effect that those symptoms COULD BE OPMV and someone jumped the gun?

i second this ppl are selective listeners by nature

Not necessarily. Some can carry it for up to 10 months seemingly healthy before showing any signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back