OPMV....know much about it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its is certainly a very tricky and touchy subject. I had a slight scare about a year ago with a darwin carpet and it is not a nice feeling. I had owned the darwin for nine years and was my favourite snake. After cooling (which can lower the immune system) when heat returned to normal , i noticed he wasnt as active as normal. His tail was starting to kink and in a matter of a 2 weeks it was progressing up the body. I was scared outa my wits thinking IBD so promptly took him to a well known herp vet in victoria. Kudos to the vet he was very honest but only suggested that there was a chance it could be IBD. Because not enough is known and symptons can differ the only way to test is post mortem. I agreed to have him euthanised (nearly cried) and then had the longest week waiting for results. I was thinking if it is i have to euthanise 24 pythons , which apart from the monetary value is something I wouldnt want anyone to have to do. The vet had concluded it was neurological but told me that there is 5 ways for it to have happened
1. toxic (as stated by wrasse i think which is poisoning or similar)
2. from a blow to the head or fall
3 bacterial (danger)
4 viral (danger)
5 degenerative
The autopsy was done to try and rule out options 3 and 4, which means it was contracted from something.
The results of the autopsy ruled out a bacterail or viral reason, so i was very happy but still didnt answer what it was. I have kept the autopsy result and had no problem with any reptile since but because of the worry have upgraded quarantine and only bought 2 snakes since. It really makes you worry about purchasing animals of anyone.
Stevo

Heat stress is another common cause of neurological problems, often misdiagnosed as OPMV.

The "two forms of OPMV" almost certainly represent two different things, both lumped together due to a lack of knowledge/understanding. A lot less is known about reptile viruses than most people realise. We don't even understand some fairly common human viruses for lack of funding; reptile viruses are obviously receiving even less attention from those with the resources to properly research it.

..and as long as we keep diagnosing every odd symptom our reptiles show, as OPMV, no further research will get done.

This is such a scary topic..... Its one we dont want to see written as it makes us realise how close to home it is..
I am very interested in reading posts from people who have been through it and survived it... I want to know what they went through and how they got through it..
is there life AFTER OPMV?

the sadest thing really (apart from you lot bickering instead of having a healthy debate) is...should the unthinkable actually happen.......by the time you realise your collection has the virus....half if not all of your stock will be infected...and it will be too late !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back