Party lights for beardie at night (heating)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
people still insist on heating at night, they don't need it, it's rediculous..

I heat at night purely because the enclosure is a linen cupboard and in winter in Melb it gets to 6 degrees inside the house (that includes in their tank). Even at 14-17 degrees can be bad for a beardie particularly a stressed beardie or a sick beardie.
I let my tank go down to 14 degrees, at the start of winter, of a night for a few nights and my beardie ended up with a respiratory infection. Giving a beardie injections every 3 days is not fun!!! Even if you do have experience with dogs or other animals.

Also from my understanding and readings and experience, plus speaking to reptile keepers from wildlife centres etc... beardies do actually see the red and it can cause them distress if they can't hide from it of a night. I had a red light in my enclosure as my bulbs kept popping and thinking the couldn't see it like snakes left it on of a night. By the morning they were stressed and curled up in the most awkward of places to get away from the light. They normally have their own spots to sleep and neither were there as that's where the red light was glowing.

I know they don't get heat of a night in the wild but the soil/sand retains the heat. In some enclosure's it's almost impossible to keep the heat in the sand/substrate which means you need to heat it.

If you're beardie is healthy and happy leave him otherwise heat him up! If he ever hides from heat or looks like he's trying to regurgitate take him to a vet ASAP! imo I almost lost gus cos i thought he was just in brumation, but every time he heated up he'd make a cough/choke/gag reflex. Not nice to see and certainly not healthy!
:)

people still insist on heating at night, they don't need it, it's rediculous..

Over here we've had temps below 0 this month :lol: And we dont have heating in the house, so I'm glad I heat the enclosures at night.

I use a blue reptile light in my enclosure at night - and before you all comment on not needing them its only for winter because my house gets to below freezing at night. My beardie sleeps up on a ledge near the blue lamp and has never had a problem with it. i have hides but he likes his rock ledges.

Sorry, i ment it more like people trying to keep them heated to daytime temps during the night.

people trying to keep thier enclosures at 25* etc.
not you guys stopping them from freezing.
thats the exception really

people trying to keep thier enclosures at 25* etc.
not you guys stopping them from freezing.
thats the exception really

Ta.... yeah with the night globe my tanks sit around 10*C
I also leave it on during the day when my day globe and UV lights switch on. i found that if i turned the night globe off one day globe couldn't heat up enough. its a large enclosure. 4 long x 3 high x 2 wide.
In summer one globe is enough and almost to much on some days...and no night globe.

I dont give my bearded dragons or my bredli pair heat at night and they are all doing fine. Stools dont show any signs of undigested roughage or anything so I consider it OK. I live in Adelaide too and temps get very low over night, minimum temps inside both tanks gets to about 15degrees overnight.

Party Lights Smarty Lights

If you really loved your dragons you would put a mirror globe in their enclosure;

So they can Rock and Roll all Night and Party every Day

i have a ceramic heat emitter in the beardies enclosure on a timer . it keeps the temp around 20c

so you dont have a basking spot? from my understanding your using a UVB light to provide heat please tell me im wrong? fluorescents lights barely provide any heat, also dont use heat mats or especially heat rocks they get there heat from top, also use ceramic heaters they cost a little bit more but last longer, if you want to use a incandescent type bulb use only infra red as the light waves from them are invisible to them as those party lights have a strip up top thet emits normal light out, which will disturb your dragons sleep, the ones ive seen do anyways,
there should be no reason to heat your dragons at night, unless your temps are droping 5 degree and lower i wouldnt be concerned at all

so IMO your wasting money and time,

It is a reptisun tight beam basking spot light. Sorry, just found the box. It provides more than enough light/heat in the daytime. I am sleeping in the garage with my Dragon. It is pretty insulated but It does get a tad cold at night.

I was actually wondering what the dragons do at night in the wild. I actually have eastern beardies in the caravan park here.

I don't think there is any need to jump on people about wanting to heat their animals at night. Yes, they do need to understand that reptiles have different needs than do mammals, but as humans, we love our warmth, and its only because we love our reptile that we want to know that they are warm enough.
But for the beardies, they can get very cold at night and no health problems should arise in a healthy beardie so long as day time temperatures reach the optimal range (ie. up to 40 degrees). So no heating at night is ok, so long as daytime temperatures are reaching what they need to be.
That said, consideration needs to be made for young, stressed or ill beardies that should ideally be kept in optimal range 24/7.
But for adults, a little bit of heating at night is not going to hurt them, so long as the heat is a dim light. The 'infrared' bulbs are nonsense, they are just a red bulb. Party lights are fine, so long as it is dim enough to let them sleep. Definately are a lot cheaper than the shop bought ones anyway.

I am sleeping in the garage with my Dragon.
I love my beardies, but this takes it to a whole new level thegatti!

I'm not going to tell you whether to heat your beardies at night or not; I'll let you make up your own mind on that one.
Personally, I don't because I know for a fact just how many beardies are brumating through sub-zero, frosty nights where I work. They are cold blooded, the cold doesn't hurt them; they're built for it, they just slow down.
It's your call though; obviously heaps of people DO keep their beardies warm ALL the time, but in the wild, they cop some seriously cold nights!
Just my 2c.
Nic

thegatti, see if a infrared heat globe fits, if so then use that, the red glow ables you to see the beardie, gives it heat but in their eyes they can't see the red glow its just dark so they sleep fine, i'm not too sure on the party light, i guess if it gives heat than its fine but be careful and it may or may not be visible to the beardie, if so than provide shade e.g rocks with shadows behind them, a way to check if the beardie can see the light the party globe gives of or not is to take a pic of the globe while its on with your mobile phone, and if you can see the glow of the light on the pic on your phone than the beardie can aswel.

about the crickets

i now sit their containers on top of my enclosure and they are all happy and more importantly still alive as there is enough heat coming off the ceramic heat for them, i also have a red light in ivorys enclosure but reading some of these posts it seems i dont need to use that, i thought i was suppose to keep her warm 24/7 during winter as this will be her first one as she only hatched in November

i have also invested in a 2 watt heat mat to put under a container so i can breed the crickets and keep them warm all winter

I personally don't heat any of my herps at night, and def not beardies. IMO, overheating ie for constant periods of time isn't ideal for the health of the animal. Southern / Central Desert herps do better being left to freeze at night then being baked during the day, if you ensure there is a good brumation area and leave your beardy to brumate then you will have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back