PC, XBox or PS3? Which one and Why?????????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You people are all living in the past man. Consoles, laptops, pc's pfft! ... The future of gaming is with smart phones... i got a Nintendo 64 emulator on my android. Super Mariokart FTW! Yeah baby! :)

6 grand on a pc would be my dream,
I just built a computer for a mate that would put mine to shame and he spent 2.5k
I'm running an AMD FX 8150, 8mb Corsair Vengeance ram, Radeon HD 6990, 3tb of Black Caviar and green if i remember rightly, 128mb SSD and that cost next to nothing.
Only issue i have is the cooling, the Corsair H50 just doesnt cool this cpu the same as it did the phenom...

back on topic.. Im a mixed sort of guy I love console rpg and racing games, but i still love pc for the more in depth style games and having an arsenal of keys at the tips of my fingers.
....and you just cant beat mobiles these days have all my old favourites from super nintendo back in the palm of my hand, go final fantasy 5

Well its OLD now but

Remember that it's OLD Now
Build it all myself

Op
Windows 7 Ultimate

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @2.83GHz

Ram
Crucial 4X2Gig Sticks with the LEDS
(Imported from the US)

MB
AsusTek Computer INC Rampage Formula LGA775

Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 4870X2

HDDs
500G western digital black
500G Seagate
300G velociraptor 10,000RPM

Optical Drives
Pioneer DVD RW
Another one

Sounds
Creative xi-fi elite pro ?? (can't remember the model its the top of the line one with the box that also sits outside and the card inside as well)

Screen
Samsung 26.5 inch screen

Network
D-link ( fastest network card )
Got it not to long ago probably newest thing lol.

PSU
850watt decent PSU no cheap china ****. Not pulling it out to get the brand

Case
Antec 1200 ( it's heavy)

This was about 5 odd years ago.
-Our dollar wasn't near the US dollar
-The GPU was one of the first Dual Core Cards
-velociraptor HDDs were not cheap
-my sound cost me nearly 1000 you can't beat it come over I'll show you it's the movies in my house.

It all adds up in the end I couldn't afford a keyboard or mouse....

Last edited:
who pays 6 grand on a PC? my last upgrade was $750 for an I7, motherboard, ram and kick **** video card.

and I can tell you, it craps all over any console for power, performance and usability.

but then, it's all in what and who you know, I build my own, so it's a LOT cheaper than by dodgy name brand systems (dell, hp, compaq, and all the other crap like them)

Agree, anyone that buys from retail stores like joyce, or normans I feel very sorry for them, Umart and gamedude and anything else out there like these stores sell computer parts cheaper or same price as Ebay...trust me I have looked. And they usually will build you your computer for 80-100 which means that you then have guarentee on your product (even tho building it yourself can be fun).
Like I said my mates machine for 2500 included everything from scratch, even a gamming mouse and keyboard and he only spent 2500. we timed it....10 seconds from the time you press the on button until you can have music playing through Itunes! Pretty deadly if you ask me :p

It all adds up in the end I couldn't afford a keyboard or mouse....

Hahaha that would suck, I always buy from Umart. They are solid!

Here in wa we have 2 choices Austin Computers or PLE, i still remember my first pc i built for myself back at the start of the athlon days, cost me about 500 for all the basics cpu, ram, motherboard and gpu and that was a beast at playing those games back then.
Also forgot im running everything in a Corsair Graphite case wasnt too expensive but is the best case ive ever used or seen friends use.

Any suggestions on a psu's? Im at the point where a 750 doesnt cut it, at this point im going corsair because from my experience they are of great quality

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

for a suggestion of a PSU, you first have to outline your system build, what parts you have.
unless you have dual or quad video cards and a heap of drives, 750w should be more than enough.
what brand is your current PSU?
I have an antec 850w and I have an I7 960, sabertoothx58 gt 560, xfi gamer soundcard 1x2tb 2x1tb 1x500g 3x300gig drives and still have plenty of power left.

though I wouldn't suggest an antec (they've gone downhill in recent years) but it's still served me well in the last two years.

Best PSU/Power Supply - PC Gaming 2011 - 2012 for a starting point.

Also Remember however some Graphic cards or other computer components have a minimum power supply recommendation. Mine recommends a power supply no smaller then 700watt so I got a 750 to be safe. What is recommends I suggest the next one up, that way there is always plenty of leeway :)
I use Thermaltake. I have a thermal take tower running 3 4inch fans and a thermaltake 750 lite powersupply :)

Everyone has choices on brands etc so stick with what you know :D

My wife said no to me haha I want a Goliath! But oh well! Maybe I can get a scorpian :p

Last edited:
Agree, anyone that buys from retail stores like joyce, or normans I feel very sorry for them, Umart and gamedude and anything else out there like these stores sell computer parts cheaper or same price as Ebay...trust me I have looked. And they usually will build you your computer for 80-100 which means that you then have guarentee on your product (even tho building it yourself can be fun).
Like I said my mates machine for 2500 included everything from scratch, even a gamming mouse and keyboard and he only spent 2500. we timed it....10 seconds from the time you press the on button until you can have music playing through Itunes! Pretty deadly if you ask me :p

Hahaha that would suck, I always buy from Umart. They are solid!

I used megaware mainly there in Sydney.
I would buy everything from Newegg if they posted to Australia.

Computers slow down as soon as you start putting **** on em.

Last edited:
Built a rig in 2010 which consisted of;
Cpu: Amd Phenom II x4 925 2.8ghz overclocked to 3.8ghz
Motherboard: Asus M487td evo
Ram: Gskill - 8gb ddr3 1666mhz
Video Card: ATI 5850HD xxx
HDD: 80gb OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for win7 and 2TB WD Caviar Green for storage
PSU: Corsair HX650w
Case: Antec 902
Monitor: Samsung 2443
Keyboard:Logitech G19
Mouse: Logitech Mx950
Speakers: Logitech z5500
Soundcard: XFI Titanium

Still a very stable and quick computer but will be upgrading again soon, after i get my Jungle Python, hehe.

Built a rig in 2010 which consisted of;
Cpu: Amd Phenom II x4 925 2.8ghz overclocked to 3.8ghz
Motherboard: Asus M487td evo
Ram: Gskill - 8gb ddr3 1666mhz
Video Card: ATI 5850HD xxx
HDD: 80gb OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for win7 and 2TB WD Caviar Green for storage
PSU: Corsair HX650w
Case: Antec 902
Monitor: Samsung 2443
Keyboard:Logitech G19
Mouse: Logitech Mx950
Speakers: Logitech z5500
Soundcard: XFI Titanium

Still a very stable and quick computer but will be upgrading again soon, after i get my Jungle Python, hehe.

Not a bad system. What did that set you back ?

Last edited:
Cpu, mobo, ram, video card, psu and case was about 1400 i think, then the rest of the stuff i got over time

Also Remember however some Graphic cards or other computer components have a minimum power supply recommendation. Mine recommends a power supply no smaller then 700watt so I got a 750 to be safe. What is recommends I suggest the next one up, that way there is always plenty of leeway :)
I use Thermaltake. I have a thermal take tower running 3 4inch fans and a thermaltake 750 lite powersupply :)

Everyone has choices on brands etc so stick with what you know :D

My wife said no to me haha I want a Goliath! But oh well! Maybe I can get a scorpian :p

And this is just another reason consoles rock, it comes with the only power supply you will ever need. Oh did I mention Halo 3/Reach and Gears of War 1,2 and 3?

Skelhorn, what card did you get that recommends a 750w PSU?
reading one of the latest OCAU reviews of a quad gtx 680 (the latest cards) setup, and the entire system used only just on 1000w at full load, so yea, I highly doubt any single card could require THAT much power.

GTX 680's Quad Sli :) - Overclockers Australia Forums for full details.

Radeon HD 6990 4GB Power and Thermals | bit-tech.net
looks like real world power usage is much lower (not surprising really)
434w at full load, how in hell they suggest 750w is beyond me, unless they're accounting for serious overclockers and power users? (you know, 8tb hard drive set ups, 32" monitors and other fun stuff :D )
I suppose it's best to cover the largest of bases for them though.

but considering you're looking at crossfire, then you'll probably end up using what you are aiming for.
just make sure you really look into it all, both AMD and Nvidia have been having issues with SLI setups with some games (it differs which each brand)

I'd suggest looking through some of the OCAU threads on the matter, there's a lot of hidden information and issues you should really know before jumping in.

I think it's 434w just for the GPU itself and doesn't count the wattage for cpu, motherboard, ram, hdd and all the other stuff you have in your pc

Status
Not open for further replies.