People with FB Can I ask a favor?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlippinBirdies

Reaction score
Okay every year when the weather warms up I post 2 status updates in FB.

The first is asking what my friends would do if they or one of their kids were bitten by a snake.

The second is a link to the correct first aid to deal with snake bites.

If you guys could post the first question as your status and let me know the responses you get it would really help me out with some research Im doing on gerneral public knowledge of first aid and general knowledge on snakes.

I was shocked to see some of the responses I got. One GF in Melbs said you need to suck the venom out and she truly believed that!! Another said to tie the limb off like a junkie ties off a vein...

I would love to hear what you guys get back from non herpers!

Thanks team APS!!

Oh no, oh no no no no. Silly people! What a great idea though, i'll be stealing this idea :D

Its amazing to see the misinformation on snake or spider first aid hey!! I was seriously taking for granted that people just knew correct first aid hey!

This is what I have gotton thus far:

Reply#1: Go to the hospital...

Reply#2: Are u tlkin bout that guy who tested poisonous snakes on his daughter?

Reply#3: i'd steal his shoes just to get back at him.

Reply#4: Stop the blood circulation in the limb, recognize the snake and google the rest

This is what I have gotton thus far:

Reply#1: depends what kind of snake it is
Reply#2: or what kid it is
Reply#3: kill the snake

Did you point out in your status that the snake was venomous?

Don't panic

Have someone Dial 000 and explain situation then ask for an ambulance

Apply first aid, This should all be learned and practised well before an actual snakebite

Go to AVRU site and print out first aid for snake bite and learn it off by heart, buy yourself a bandage (I like VetWrap) and practise bandaging before any snakebite happens.
It may not save your life but could buy you time.

Thanks guys. This is really helpful. It never ceases to amaze me how much misinformation is out there especially on a topic that misinformation could be the difference between life and death.

Make sure you guys post the correct info for them in a link so they can save it as a fave. MY friends were really greatful for the info and I got really positive feedback.

Especially in QLD after all the rains etc this Autam the folling few summers will be bumper crops for wild snakes and I'd hate to think any of us on APS could potentially lose a friend to snake/spider bite when they have such wealths of info on the topic as friends like us!! lol

Is the first aid treatment the same for a spider bite as a snake bite?

Actually never mind, I feel that is a dumb question, I will look it up...

What is the website with good instructions? Just so I can post that too after :)

That AVRU one is awesome Bredlislave, thanks for sharing. :)

[h=1]First Aid Information: Snakebite (all land and sea snakes)[/h]Phone or send for medical assistance.
Reassure the patient and encourage them to remain calm.
Have the patient remain as still as possible. Do not attempt to catch or kill the snake.
Apply a pressure bandage to the envenomed limb (see below). If the bite is to the trunk, apply firm pressure to the bitten area. Do no restrict chest movement.
Splint or sling the limb to restrict movement. Where possible, help should be brought to the patient rather than moving the patient.

I must say that I particularly like how is says "Do not attempt to catch or kill the snake"

Reply#5: I'm confused. Why arent there such things a venomous snake? What about the brown snake etc

EDIT: I'll post that link etc.

I was watching Man vs Wild last night and he said if you get bitten do NOT apply a tourniquet but instead immobilise the limb and keep it low to the ground, has anyone heard of this before?

just posted the question, I'm not overly active so not expecting many replied but ill post them up for you when/if any come in

and yes applying a tourniquet is not a good idea

just posted the question, I'm not overly active so not expecting many replied but ill post them up for you when/if any come in

and yes applying a tourniquet is not a good idea
Im surprised he didnt advise viewers on how to apply a pressure bandage.
Anyway so if Im bitten by a snake and use my belt to splint the limb I should be careful not to constrict it too much?

This is what I got lol:
1. Will: Tie a bandage around the snake...?
2. Chelsea:
1. Apply a pressure bandage around the area. 2. Remain calm and try not tomove. 3. Call ambulance/ for help.
3. James:
Shouldn't you first try to ID the snake, and then make sure you and the person bitten is a safe distance away from the snake.
4. Stefan:
"This is for educational purposes only!" - i hope so!
5. James:
3, bandage around area and call the ambulance... think that is 4 though haha
6. Andrew:
Doesn't matter about ID I'm pretty sure they can work it out from venom residue?.it's just easier if you know the snake type 1)place bandage on bite and wrap from top of limb to bottom of limb and back up, 2) immobilize the limb to reduce movement. 3) call 000 (or do this first before bandaging)
7. Andrew:
So James your going to find the snake then run away? lol

This is really amazing hey. I know I shouldnt be surprised but the amount of people who dont know looks to be at almost 100% based on this. Ive not had one person know on my FB and other places of research... This is crazy :(

Kudos to chelsea who in basic terms nailed it :)

Im asking one of the many mother sites ive been added to for u :)

I did a mothers site too! 100% incorrect answers!!! Most said wash the wound after calling 000. I started last summer compiling a list of all the answers I got. I love the answer chase and catch the snake to ID it though. That one always makes me slap my forehead! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back