Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they are the longest monitor in australia!!!!
i don't think many people keep them in NSW because they just came on the speices list a couple of years ago?

I also think not many NSW keepers would have them because they would need a hot enclosure with a huge amount of space. It would be very expensive to heat I'd imagine.

Simon Archibald

ad said:
Neil, it must be a typo $700 sounds good for an adult spencers.

that means im gettin hell ripped of wif mine then, $750 for a 9 month old one......hmmmm

we cant keep perenties in vic. they look great but as bob said fingers are better on your hand than in perenties mouth. would love to see one in the wild they are awesome.

Okay! This question has been bothering me for some time. Where does one start in breeding the first Perentie?? The first Python? Where has this all originated from? As I am relatively new to herp keeping, I'm at a loss to come up with an answer. I can only think that these animals are originally wild caught! Then they are bred, and sold. So does that mean the original breeding of these animals was preformed illegally?? The perentie would have been protected, and it would have been illegal to take it from the wild surely. Please help my mind is about to explode :lol: :lol: I dearly hope I haven't opened up a can of worms on this one!! :wink:

people get permits to collect wild animals and breed them to make them available. as womas_4_me does with bhp's and stimmy's, i think he has like 50 stimmy's and then i think pilbaraapythons has a collectors license as well. this is what i think originally happened but also before 97 there was no licensing so people could have whatever and nobody knew, but then there was an amnesty so everything could go on license and thats why some people have exotics because they declared them. this is what i think happened and may not be right but from what i can gather this is how it has happened

Moosenoose,

Reptile keepers today have the luxery of being able to buy captive bred stock(which is far superior then wild caught) but they forget that it was once all wild caught stock availabe.

Going back just 20 years ago, there was only about 10 or so keepers in Australia who pioneered captive breeding in this country.
Wether the stock was kept before licencing, legally collected, illegally collected and laundered onto the books, or declared on amnesties, it all came from the wild.

Wild stocked was stressed in captivity, keeping methods were crude compared to present times and food for particular animals was near impossible to find. Needless to say the wild stock would constantly die and trips were continually made to replace the dead stock.

Luckerly, it was found that Captive breed animals were far hardier, stress free and would breed readily in captivity if offered the right conditions. One by one, we slowly learned how to breed most species. And ever so slowly we refined our keeping techniques to what you now have today.

Reptile keepers of today do not know how lucky they are. Most animals sought can now be legally purchased, keeping techniques are far superior, businesses are even set up to supply food, and advise on most questions are readily available. In the old days one would ask, how on earth did you breed it, but today with the knowledge readily available to anyone, the question is why have you not bred it.

I have even heard some idiots today saying we should never have taken from the wild in the old days . But honestly, where do you think it all started from.

Thanks for the explanation Bob. I can understand the ground work made by the pioneers of this industry has turned out invaluable information to many areas involving reptiles. From zoos to the creation of antivenom. The trial & error involved in keeping these animals I'm sure would have been frustrating to say the least, and it had to have started somewhere. I suppose the stage I was keeping Green Tree Frogs, it was a very, very uncommon thing to do, and no licensing was available to cover them. I'm a pioneer, yipeee LOL I suppose the keeping of these animals by competant keepers is valuable to the preservation of certain species to a degree. Thanks again Bob - I'm really at ease once again LOL

Bob, you explain things so nicely. Had a lovely chat the other day with a 'do-gooder' about taking animals from the wild in a responsible manner. She was very upset that we are allowed to collect from the wild but wasn't too happy when I explained that her dog and cat have been bred from wild animals. I have to agree that I think captive bred animals are far superior to wild caught and I think it will only be a year or two until we have enough reptiles in this state that taking from the wild is not neccessary.
On the topic of perenties- would love to see footage of someone trying to catch one from the wild! They are beautiful animals and we see a few of them in the bush up here but from a very very safe distance. There is a reptile centre in Perth that has 'Perry' the perentie who is fairly tame but I still wouldn't trust him with my fingers!

Womas4me.

Yes, I have been to the Armadale Reptile Centre and have witnessed Klaus just pick it up and cuddle it like a puppy. I was horified when he first started to pick it up. I was expecting his face to be bitten off. But it is the tamest Perenty I have ever seen. My theroy is it must be brain damaged :lol:

Nearly all keepers that I know who keep Perenties, have some sort of scaring from these big lizards :shock: I know the one I owned years ago was just nuts, and would try and bite as soon as you entered its enclosure. They are definatley not known for their pleasent personalities :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back