pest controlling with reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about my spelling, I think it is actually Chitin . My understanding is that it interupts the shedding of the exosketeton and so stops the like cycle of those insects. it is a hormone rather than a poison.

Sorry about my spelling, I think it is actually Chitin . My understanding is that it interupts the shedding of the exosketeton and so stops the like cycle of those insects. it is a hormone rather than a poison.

You are spot on. One of the termite baits we use contains a Chitin inhibitor, it prevents the termites from shedding their exoskeleton, thus causing them to implode when they next try & moult. Long story short, this is how we achieve termite colony elimination.

I'm going to opt out of this thread now as some of the info being passed around is incorrect. If anyone needs accurate pest control assistance pm me & I'll pass on my office &/or mobile number.... happy to help fellow herpers :)

Fiprinol is the active constituent in Frontline, you will find it in many commercial products under different names, but they all have the same active constituent. It is used for flea & tick control on cats & dogs & is used in other products to control pests in crops, it is also used as a very good control for ants & termites & has been proven to take out the colony.
If you knew all the cons we where sold you would scream.
Anyway make sure you cover your reptiles & insects!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Ian

PS. Just check out some of the products you buy from the supermarket as an example: Bleach- home brand bleach has the same active constituent as other more expensive well advertised brands, the same for your dishwashing stuff etc.
To me it is all about knowing the product & how to use it & take all safety precautions into account.
The spray that a pest control operator would normally spray the inside of your house with in QLD is Cislin. The active constituent to that product is the same as home brand surface spray.

Last edited:
I'm GM for a pest control company, we come across this issue all the time. Get your pestie to apply a residual spray, that way the insecticide isn't airborne, it is applied at a low rate & sticks to whatever it's applied to. Also get him/her to use sticky traps & gels wherever possible, if you have black ants they can put the ant gel in little plastic ant 'cafe's'. Obviously also cover up your enclosures while he's there but it'll be okay afterwards... I should know... my house glows yellow :)

Can you move and come do my place?

If you wish to spray pests in your reptile area buy a can of Top of Descent. it can be safely sprayed into reptile enclosures with the reptiles inside. I personally would be reluctant to go that far but I know of others that have done so in controlleing mites with no adverse affects on their animals.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back