Phobias.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate standing on the wings of airplanes while they are flying.

I hate/probably borderline phobia of crowds. But a mosh pit at a metal gig? Love them. Only when there's an older crowd though. Young people today (I'm 25!) have no mosh pit etiquette. Slightly off topic, sorry.
I hate emus, camels and pelicans. Scared but not quite phobic, if one got too close to me I'd probably punch it, not run away.
I've also found out by climbing on the roof that I'm not too fond of heights.
My only actual phobia? Having my shoes fall off when i'm on a roller coaster type ride. I haven't been near one in years, but I used to love them, but i'd spend the entire ride (after doing my shoelaces up so tight i was cutting the circulation off in my feet) with my feet tensed up and my toes scrunched into the ends of my shoes to hold them on. Wierd.
My sister is terrified of spiders. She'll walk into a room and spot a 2mm spider in the furthest corner straight away. It's like she's got a sixth sense for it.

I can join a lot of the rest of you in saying I dislike crowds. Can anyone join me in my phone anxiety? It's completely irrational, but I hate making phone calls. I don't much like receiving them either, but I still mostly answer the phone. When it comes to making a phone call, I will do everything I possibly can to avoid it!

Email and the internet has been a blessing for me. :D

My dad always hated talking on phones, when he really had to talk on one, he'd be very blunt, you couldn't have a conversation with him, he'd always say......here, speak to your mother. LOL. Sadly they're both gone now.

My only actual phobia? Having my shoes fall off when i'm on a roller coaster type ride. I haven't been near one in years, but I used to love them, but i'd spend the entire ride (after doing my shoelaces up so tight i was cutting the circulation off in my feet) with my feet tensed up and my toes scrunched into the ends of my shoes to hold them on.it.

I know that feeling. I hope I don't offend you but that me cracked me up!

I can join a lot of the rest of you in saying I dislike crowds. Can anyone join me in my phone anxiety? It's completely irrational, but I hate making phone calls. I don't much like receiving them either, but I still mostly answer the phone. When it comes to making a phone call, I will do everything I possibly can to avoid it!

Im exactly the same!!! it makes me anxious when i hear the phone ring! im ok with texting, much prefer to do that...

I know that feeling. I hope I don't offend you but that me cracked me up!

No offense taken, it's my completely irrational fear and i'm okay with it:) My sister said that one day she's going to drug me, and put me on a roller coaster wearing thongs. I told her I'd start breeding spiders in her wardrobe.

I never understood a fear of spiders, I love them. I'm wary of them when they're angry, but I think they're cute. I remember being really young, maybe 4 or 5 when that movie Arachnophobia came out. I loved it!

I never thought so many people would have a fear of/be uncomfortable using phones. I don't mean any offense at all, but how do you function?
Like a lot off people from my generation, I am absolutely reliant on my phone. Admittedly, way way too reliant. It's nice going way out in the boonies and turning it off for a week coz it's got no reception, but I couldn't imagine not having one, or using it all the time.

Last edited:
No offense taken, it's my completely irrational fear and i'm okay with it:) My sister said that one day she's going to drug me, and put me on a roller coaster wearing thongs. I told her I'd start breeding spiders in her wardrobe.

I never understood a fear of spiders, I love them. I'm wary of them when they're angry, but I think they're cute. I remember being really young, maybe 4 or 5 when that movie Arachnophobia came out. I loved it!

I never thought so many people would have a fear of/be uncomfortable using phones. I don't mean any offense at all, but how do you function?
Like a lot off people from my generation, I am absolutely reliant on my phone. Admittedly, way way too reliant. It's nice going way out in the boonies and turning it off for a week coz it's got no reception, but I couldn't imagine not having one, or using it all the time.
Sms. And a boyfriend who i make call people for me :)

You'll get no offence from me. Like you and your shoes on rollercoasters, I know it's irrational. It's not a phobia in the strict definiton of the word, but it's definitely an anxiety.

How do I cope? Texting, email and internet. Like I said, modern technology is a blessing for me. However, there's no doubt a phone anxiety can be a handicap at times. One of my aims this year is to work on reducing the fear.

Last edited:

I still use the phone, i just hate incoming calls! i guess have had a lot of bad news delivered by phone, so now every time it rings i think "WTH now???"

It's really weird with me and phones....I don't know why....but I always had some strange idea that my parents would die at night.....they both lived very long lives, and mum had cancer for 28 yrs, so we kind of expected to hear about her for a long time. Maybe that's why I started getting Brian to answer the phone at night....coz I didn't want to take the call. Well, she eventually died in 2008 aged 90 and she died at night. My dad on the other hand....died in 2010 at the age of 99...and he died mid morning. I remember getting the call from my sister...as it was day time I answered the call, and she told me he'd died. I had the most...stupid thought....but he should have died at night... LOL. Amazing how the brain works...or doesn't work at times like that. LOL

My parents very sensibly didnt even get a phone until I the hit the road. I still dont like them (phones ha ha) . Inet is fine. It doesn't shout at you or demand your attention like phones do IMO.

Last edited:
My parents very sensibly didnt even get a phone until I the hit the road. I still dont like them (phones ha ha) . Inet is fine. It doesn't shout at you or demand your attention like phones do IMO.

That's part of the problem. Phones are very intrusive and don't care a jot what you happen to be doing or thinking at the time. The person on the other end will also want something, usually immediately. I like time to digest things and consider my response. I don't like being pushed and prodded into giving one before I'm ready.

Grannieannie.... don't go to Melbourne!

Cockroaches, I scream like the girl I am and run for the hills. Did have one for rats... til I had to work with them and breed them. Still don't like them but I have had a pet one. PS if anyone breeds them for pets and have a nice salmon roe eyed golden female PM me please. I miss Honey. She smelt like mandarins
I fear unfamiliar heights but my biggest all time fear that will send me to the funny farm is leeches. The last time I saw them... and was surrounded by them I had a complete nervous breakdown even though none of them bit me. It took days to get over it and I avoid the bush like the plague when it's wet. I never want to experience that again. Not bad for someone who loves spiders and scorpions. Phobias are not fun. I don't like bees or wasps cause I have a bad reaction to their sting

Last edited:
Spiders are great, and there's not one on the whole planet that can or wants to eat you. I love the multiple eyes and jumping spiders are micro monkeys. A bit of homework and proximity and you'll see the joy too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back