Phobias.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2 biggest life long fears were lizards & vomiting......i overcame my lizard fear almost 4mnths ago, after close to a year of trying & bucket loads of tears :oops: now i have 2 beardies who i love to pieces.......& i have NO idea what i was so afraid of!!

Vomitting still sends me into panic mode, i literally get myself so worked up i shake & cry like a baby........i think im afraid of choking.......i dont really know, but it is something i really fear!! & while i love the beach.......i cant swim in the ocean......& i will NEVER no matter how much id like to, go on a cruise.......the thought of sinking in the middle of the ocean gives me nightmares!! (I have told my partner that IF we ever went on a cruise & sank, he would have to drown me......he know agrees that we will never go on a cruise!!

Oh & a fear i developed about 4yrs ago.......going to court. I am there quite regulary due to a physco ex, & i shake, cry, vomit, break out in hot/cold sweats.......ive passed out 3 times on my way in, it is terrible!! Im not sure if it is court itself or just having to be so near me ex that does it, but yeah, now when i know a court date is approaching, sleep leaves me & i am a mess a week before actually having to go!

Last edited:
i will NEVER no matter how much id like to, go on a cruise.......the thought of sinking in the middle of the ocean gives me nightmares!! (I have told my partner that IF we ever went on a cruise & sank, he would have to drown me......he know agrees that we will never go on a cruise!!

Did you watch 'The sinking of the Concordia' last night :)

Cockroaches, I scream like the girl I am and run for the hills.
my biggest all time fear that will send me to the funny farm is leeches. The last time I saw them... and was surrounded by them I had a complete nervous breakdown even though none of them bit me. It took days to get over it and I avoid the bush like the plague when it's wet.

Me too, even a cockroach on TV makes me uncomfortable. A few years ago we stayed in a place in the Daintree with big gaps under the front door. Every night they would come out and I struggled to sleep, but the worst was when you were going to the toilet in the middle of the night and look up to see one above you!!!! Was always freaking out they might drop on me but was not in a position to do anything about it (when you gotta go you gotta go!)
I would love to have lizards, but the thought of having to keep roaches to feed them stops me cold!:oops:

Used to be freaked out by leeches too until a couple of years ago I got one on me and didnt realise until it had already started to feed. We had no salt or lighters or anything to get it off with, so after the initial panic of seeing it and realising it didnt hurt I just let it do its thing and it dropped off after about 40 mins.
I still don't like them, but I don't panic that I might get one on me anymore. I think the worst thing about them is seeing them crawling towards you. Would rather find one already attached than see one stalking me!!!!

Maggots? With thanks to my dogs, I now refer to them as "wriggly rice", coz they loooove them. It's pretty gross.

I also have a fear of getting home later than i'd planned to, mostly because I did that just under a year ago to come home and find that my two ferrets had gotten out. i got one back, but the dogs had killed my boy (not on purpose, they would have been playing with him and stomped him. he had crushed ribs but no other damage.) and again, about a month after that i got stuck at bunnings for ages while buying supplies to completely secure the chicken coop they lived in, and one of the dogs had pushed through the mesh. I lost both my girls, and found them six weeks later when we had blocked drains :'( Another time I stayed back at work because it was busy and i was broke, I got home and found my sister's mini-pig had gone into septic shock and had to rush him to the vet. He died too. So not really irrational, but sometimes when i'm on my way home if i've been held up along the way, i have a little panic attack, and without fail, the first thing i do when i get home is go around and check on all the animals.

Oh what sad stories...... :cry:

Did you watch 'The sinking of the Concordia' last night :)

I will NEVER go on a cruise either...when we went to Tassie, I flew, no way would I go on the ferry !!

Me too, even a cockroach on TV makes me uncomfortable. A few years ago we stayed in a place in the Daintree with big gaps under the front door. Every night they would come out and I struggled to sleep, but the worst was when you were going to the toilet in the middle of the night and look up to see one above you!!!! Was always freaking out they might drop on me but was not in a position to do anything about it (when you gotta go you gotta go!)
I would love to have lizards, but the thought of having to keep roaches to feed them stops me cold!:oops:

Used to be freaked out by leeches too until a couple of years ago I got one on me and didnt realise until it had already started to feed. We had no salt or lighters or anything to get it off with, so after the initial panic of seeing it and realising it didnt hurt I just let it do its thing and it dropped off after about 40 mins.
I still don't like them, but I don't panic that I might get one on me anymore. I think the worst thing about them is seeing them crawling towards you. Would rather find one already attached than see one stalking me!!!!

Ahhhh cockroaches...many years ago....30 odd, my little girl was rushed to Sydneys childrens hospital with appendicitis. I stayed on a camp bed with her at night. During the night ... cockroaches ...were all over the room walls. When I complained, I was told.....there is no scientific evidence that cockroaches carry disease !!! I was D I S G U S T E D !!

Last edited:
Maggots? With thanks to my dogs, I now refer to them as "wriggly rice", coz they loooove them. It's pretty gross.

I also have a fear of getting home later than i'd planned to, mostly because I did that just under a year ago to come home and find that my two ferrets had gotten out. i got one back, but the dogs had killed my boy (not on purpose, they would have been playing with him and stomped him. he had crushed ribs but no other damage.) and again, about a month after that i got stuck at bunnings for ages while buying supplies to completely secure the chicken coop they lived in, and one of the dogs had pushed through the mesh. I lost both my girls, and found them six weeks later when we had blocked drains :'( Another time I stayed back at work because it was busy and i was broke, I got home and found my sister's mini-pig had gone into septic shock and had to rush him to the vet. He died too. So not really irrational, but sometimes when i'm on my way home if i've been held up along the way, i have a little panic attack, and without fail, the first thing i do when i get home is go around and check on all the animals.

:( How sad!! A similar thing happened to me at my last rental property, i was running late & wasnt home before the real estate lady turned up, she let my daughters kitten out, 3 days later & plenty of searching & door knocking, i found the poor kitty only after turning the washing machine on & my house flooding.......it had fallen in a drain out at the back door from the laundry & drowned. :( That was the most disgusting thing to have to pull from the drain......it was so swollen it was close to explosion.......my neighbour disposed of it for me, while i tried comforting my little girl!

Bugs.. Any sorts from butterflies to cicadas..so bad that I vomit most times if it actually touches me. Yuck. Makes me feel gross just typing this in.. Lol.. And cruelty to animals I can't watch anything being hurt :(

Bugs.. Any sorts from butterflies to cicadas..so bad that I vomit most times if it actually touches me. Yuck. Makes me feel gross just typing this in.. Lol.. And cruelty to animals I can't watch anything being hurt :(

I love butterflies and bugs and things.....but I totally agree with you about watching animals being hurt....I don't even like those docos where animals kill other animals for food.....I know it's nature and I know we feed our reps dead animals, but when I get my mice, they're already dead. When I bought my snake I hated the thought of having to feed it ... animal looking food...a mouse that still looked like a mouse if you know what I mean....but my breeder said...don't think of it as a cute little dead thing....think....food, food, food !! And that got me over my thing about it. At first I couldn't watch my snake eat, now it doesn't bother me.

I have a fear of llamas and alpacas, was bitten and spat on by my dads llama as a kid, ever since then i freak out when one even just looks at me. Its like they cant choose what animal they want to be, sheep or a camel.
I also have a fear of other peoples blood, If ive cut myself open i don’t care but seeing someone else, i can sometimes faint or be sick.

I have a fear of llamas and alpacas, was bitten and spat on by my dads llama as a kid, ever since then i freak out when one even just looks at me. Its like they cant choose what animal they want to be, sheep or a camel.
I also have a fear of other peoples blood, If ive cut myself open i don’t care but seeing someone else, i can sometimes faint or be sick.

Would you accept a blood transfusion then if your life could be saved by having it ??? How does the thought of having someone elses blood in your veins feel to you ???

-anything that flys and has a stinger (bees, wasps etc) i'm petrified of
-going to sleep although history proves that i have gone to sleep and woken up alive for the past 24.5yrs
-spinal taps....i will be requesting sedation next time i have to have one because i really don't feel like feeling a 6 inch spinal needle go through skin, muscle and touch nerves while im awake and in such a vulnerable position
- breaking a string on my bass :eek:/
- massive crowds at parties

Would you accept a blood transfusion then if your life could be saved by having it ??? How does the thought of having someone elses blood in your veins feel to you ???

i would accept a blood transfusion! I think its just the thought of the wound that freaks me out. Especially if its blood in someones mouth!!!

thats why they have these things called facial overlays or 'face shields' for cpr and gloves so you dont cross contaminate or you just stand there and call for help....as a st.john volunteer i dont endorse just standing there but calling for someone else to go contact work while you have your back turned so not to see and call for an ambulance is just as effective.....poor bugger if you've both got a fear of blood...

My phobia is accidentally finding a time machine, activating it, going back in time, contracting a 'now curable' disease and not being able to cure it while being stuck in the past.

It's a real fear - far more so than that of a spider - especially when you think about some of the now curable diseases that I could catch if I went back in time!

Actually there's one I didn't think of: I wouldn't. No way, the mere thought makes me feel sick... I can't even watch someone else in hospital even on TV having a transfusion or a transplant. My mum doesn't agree with me, but the thought gives me the absolute heebies. Even if it was to save my life, I just don't think it would be worth it to feel like I wanted to rip my own body apart to get it out. Urgh... and those people who get hand transplants and the like? Forget about it; that just reminded me of another one: Fear of corpses. Animals I can just handle, though they make me jumpy, people no way. I can't watch zombie movies to save my life, I just handled the original Dawn of the Dead because it's cheesy as, it still gave me nightmares though, but the rehash? AAARGH! I can't believe they made them run! So hand and face transplant patients are a good ol' ball of fun for me: Dead man's hands... don't touch me!
Don't get me wrong, I understand other people doing it, but don't come anywhere near me with other people's blood and organs. They can go to someone who'll appreciate them, thankyou very much!

i have a fear of catching sports balls, footballs, basketballs, tennisballs, baseballs... they just freak me out, Spiders scare me ALOT, and im not a small kid.. so my friends love it when my deep voice goes to a high pitch squeek when a spider is around :) I have a massive fear of dying early, i want to get the most out of life, and i am scared of stuff near my eyes, thats all i can think of at the moment, and just a side note, Thanks For These Awesome Thread Topics Annie, i love reading them :) And hopefully no one thinks im weird lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back