Photos from ERD Venomous Snake Relocation Course

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno from ERD

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

Here's some photo's from the course we ran in late November. The course was a great success (despite everything conspiring against us on Saturday morning!), with everyone having a ball, but most importantly learning how to safely identify, capture and relocate real venomous snakes.

They started of doing the boring theory stuff, like learning how to differentiate between different families, genera and species, basic elapid biology, rules and regulations, first aid and how to use their equipment. Everyone passed both of their exams with flying colours.

After the theory component, they began to learn how to handle. All the snakes we used were unmodified real venomous snakes, with varying temprements. We started with the calm species, like Colletts, Red Bellies and some of our quiet Eastern Browns. They used these animals to hone their hook control skills, which they picked up very quickly.

Once they were confident with the quiet animals, we moved onto some more flighty and difficult species like Western Brown Snakes, Mulga Snakes, Inland Taipans and less quiet Eastern Browns. This particular group were remarkably fast learners, with Sharna and I having to step in only a couple of times.

The next step was learning how to control a snake when all the odds are in the snakes favour - outside, in the heat! Again, everyone coped really well and we moved on to the hardest part - conducting a simulated snake call-out. We "trashed" two rooms, offering the snakes ample hidey holes, and generally tried to make the catch as hard as possible for all involved. Unfortunately, at one stage a very famous Mulga Snake found a hidden hole in a urinal and ***r old Jonno had to go and play fetch! The hole is now blocked up...

At the end of the day, everyone commented on just how easy and safe the methods are that we teach, and the only disappointment was that it wasn't as exciting and dangerous as they thought it would be.

Here's some photo's from the day...

1_VSHC2.jpg

Wrasse eyeing off a Red Belly Black Snake.

1_VSHC3.jpg

nvenm8 practicing his hook and bag skills with a Collett Snake.

1_VSHC_.jpg

Earthling practicing his hook skills on an Inland Taipan, while Dodie handles what looks to be the infamous "Invisible Snake".

1_VSHC4.jpg

The group. In this photo is Dodie, Earthling, philmcd, nutta, Ozzie Python and nvenm8.

1_VSHC5.jpg

This is Colin, a non APS member. During one of the many First Aid drills, it became apparent that he had been bitten on the face. Luckily Wrasse was there to bandage him up! (Note - This is just a joke, nobody has ever been bitten at an ERD run venomous snake handling course!)

If anyone is interested in participating in one of our courses, we have a few spots available next weekend (Dec 22/23) and we'll also be running one in March. PM me or give me a call for more info.

Cheers

Jonno

Looking great mate. Question, do you need a venomous license to attend?

G'day Bung-Eye,

The course is designed for people with no experience with reptiles at all.

Cheers

Looks great Jonno! I might have to make a booking with you and fly up to Brissy one day :D I'm keen to get the Victorian relocators paperwork (whatever it's called) as I'm sure my surrounding areas go nuts with snakes coming into domestic situations.

Thanks Jonno,

could well be interested in attending the course in March.

Will contact you

-Brent

moosenoose - we have people flying in from western NSW for our December course, it seems to be very popular! We will be launching our interstate courses in 2008...

Cheers

Mate I'm looking forward to this course next weekend, looks like it will be a great couple days.
Can you PM me all the details I will need such as starting times, what I need to bring (if anything)

Cheers
Andrew

Can't recommend this course enough people, really opens your eye's up to venemous snakes and teaches some excellent skills and theory. I'm sure anyone who has done this course will agree.

Heaps of practical work with the sankes too :)

Yes lots of practical :lol:
I had caught and delt with venomous snakes prior to this course and I will say unashamedly that every time I dealt with one I was borderline to being admitted to the cardiac ward!
I was packing my dacks prior to the course!
But with Jonno and Sharna's guidance and experience I walked away with skills and the confidence to deal with a venomous snake should the time or need arise.
Those that are enrolled on the next course you will not regret it.

Cheers

Can't recommend this course enough people, really opens your eye's up to venemous snakes and teaches some excellent skills and theory. I'm sure anyone who has done this course will agree.

Here here. I learnt a great wealth of info, not only from Jonno and Sharna, but from those who attended aswell.

The course even outlined how misinformed I am about venomous snakes and I already loved them before I took part!

If anyone is thinking about doing the course jump right in, you will not regret it.

We were there to learn ???

I had a ball, loved the two days. The instruction was spot on, the food was great, the company better and I wanted to take all the snakes home with me. :D

I particularly fell in love with one little Western Brown snake. Such a cute innocent face.... ;)

*pockets the Western Brown*

What did he give the rest of you ?

;)

Good on you Jonno, it sounds like everyone had a great day. This course would be a great way for people to learn how to safely handle vens. cheers Rex

i turn 18 in april, is there any courses soon after that?? lol ive been wanting to do this for a very very very loooooooooong time!! and it seems this is the course to go to.. (unless of course you are all getting paid to say what u r saying lol hehe jokes)

PM me if you want :) im very interested in knowing all i can! and of course the cost...

will this help with obtaining a next level up licence? cant remember its name but where you can keep and breed more than one restricted animal like womas.
and looks like a heap of fun!

hey jonno does your course teach tailing or hooking. i was trained in tailing but i know the hook is a great handy mate of mine. .looks like everyone had a great time

G'day tooben,

Unfortunately, I suffer from something called a "conscience"! It means that even though I could, I don't teach newcomers advanced handling techniques like tailing. I have turned down lots of business because of this, but I flat out refuse to believe that it is possible to teach someone with absolutely no knowledge of venomous snakes how to do something as intricate as tailing in two days.

We do offer an "advanced" venomous snake handling course, which is designed for those with verifiable experience with venomous snakes. It teaches all the advanced techniques, like tailing, head grabbing and everything needed to keep these guys in captivity. By "verifiable experience", we mean a single reference from someone that WE deem as credible (not someone that YOU deem as credible), or attending our relocation course.

I don't particularly like this conscience thing, as I could make an absolute bucketload of cash teaching 14 year olds how to tail Taipans, but I know for a fact that I would never sleep at night, so I settle for eating peanut butter sandwiches for dinner instead. Unfortunately there are several operators out there who see dollar signs instead of peoples lives and they continue to give people crash courses in how to end up in ICU.

That's my rant for today!

Good on you Jonno, it sounds like everyone had a great day. This course would be a great way for people to learn how to safely handle vens. cheers Rex

G'day Rex,

Thanks mate! When you get old school herps like yourself giving positive comments, it means I must be doing something right!

Take care,

Jonno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back