Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
I visited Nambung NP in February 2007 with a friend and also passed through the area with my son Nicholas in November 2005. This post includes photos from both trips.

Nambung NP ("The Pinnacles") is a spectacular place. It looks so strange with pillars of calcium carbonate scattered across the dunes. It really is quite an eerie feeling to walk across these dunes and pass rocks that look like they are from another planet. Nambung is situated only a few hours north of Perth and near the little town of Cervantes.

Here are a few pics of the park:
habitat1.jpg

habitat6.jpg

habitat5.jpg

habitat3.jpg

habitat8.jpg

... hmmm. My friend and I had a good laugh when we rounded a bend and found this rather atypical pinnacle.
habitat4.jpg

habitat7.jpg

We waited for dark near the park entrance and enjoyed this beautiful sunset:
habitat9.jpg

Unfortunately, although the habitat and conditions were good, we found very few reptiles. This Soft Spiny-tailed Gecko (Strophurus spinigerus) was nice:
strophurus2.jpg

strophurus.jpg

We also found a juvenile Dwarf Bearded Dragon (Pogona minor):
westernBearded1.jpg

During the day, we came across this dead Carpet Python (Morelia spilota imbricata). It was a hot day so the body of the reptile had already become swollen with the gases of decomposition.
carpet1.jpg

This Galah posed nicely for me from the top of a pinnacle:
galah.jpg

Back on the highway, we found what I assume to be a DOR Gwardar (Pseudonaja nuchalis) near Geralton. It was a nicely coloured animal.
gwardar1.jpg

gwardar2.jpg

We also found a few Shinglebacks (Tiliqua rugosa):
shingleback.jpg

In November, my son and I found many flowers along the road near Nambung. Feather flowers (Verticordia sp) were one of the most conspicuous:
verticordia1.jpg

verticordia3.jpg

verticordia2.jpg

A spectacular banksia:
banksia1.jpg

These "Christmas Trees" (Nuytsia floribunda) are the biggest of all mistletoes. They appear to be free standing but they have tapped into the roots of other shrubs and are parasitic like other mistletoes.
christmas2.jpg

christmas1.jpg

Another flower:
flower1.jpg

If any of you visit Perth, Nambung is well worth a few hours in the car.

Regards,
David

Great pics mate. Oz is such a beautiful country..

Thanks for the comments.

Jason,
I love to travel but most of my pics were from three 2-week herping trips to the west or the far north. I spend a great deal of time in the car (8000 and 9000 km in the west, much less in the north) but see lots of interesting country and herps.

Regards,
David

Great pics, those pinnacle pics do look like another plant, amazing !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back