Picking up first snake today, any tips?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh really. I have a georgetown stimson yearling. they are so cool :D

Hey Naomi.

Nice Stimmy. I have an MacDonald Ranges (Alice Springs) Stimmy which I picked up about 5 months ago as my first snake. Great choice. Everyone has different ideas on feeding, and all are relevant because each animal is different and are kept in slightly different conditions, so go with what feels best. Do some reading - and use the advice on this Forum. As a newby, I've found it invaluable. As a guide, I feed mine on large ( I mean LARGE) mice every 5-10 days depending on how active he is. Mine is basically fully grown (2 years) and sheds once every few months. Enjoy your new pet!

The breeder sounds a bit strange. At least your little one looks gorgeous. I feed my pythons 15-20% of their body weight when ever they are hungry. So for my hatchy that is roughly every 5-8 days and for my adult it is more like every 10 days. Eventually you'll sort out want is best for you and your snake, as everyone has a slightly different way of doing things.

How old is it?
How big is it?
Looking pretty relaxed.

How old is it?
How big is it?
Looking pretty relaxed.

He is two months old and approx 25-30cm. The size on the movement advice sheet says 15cm but that is like half his size lol. He is still in the exact same position 4 hours later, is that normal for them to "sulk" after a move?

He is two months old and approx 25-30cm. The size on the movement advice sheet says 15cm but that is like half his size lol. He is still in the exact same position 4 hours later, is that normal for them to "sulk" after a move?

He was born in december apparently, no actual birthdate so I have just assumed two months

Seller got back to me just then and texted me the health records like feeds ect. He was born on 5th of december and his parents were sold as tennant creek locales but he didn't trust that so he just sold them as stimsons. To me he looks like a tennant creek local. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's actually 3 months old. Just a bub. What are you feeding it? Does he have a hide. You will need to let him settle for a couple of weeks before you start handling him. Snakes stress at change and he's just had a big change. Good luck and enjoy.

So it's actually 3 months old. Just a bub. What are you feeding it? Does he have a hide. You will need to let him settle for a couple of weeks before you start handling him. Snakes stress at change and he's just had a big change. Good luck and enjoy.

He hasn't feed fed yet because I got his yesterday (but I have pinkies in the freezer), But the owner hasn't fed him since the 12th, I was planning on feeding him on wednesday, but can he go that long with out food? Also with thawing would just leaving him out for half an hour than dunking it in hot water for a few seconds heat him up? Is that what you guys do? Yea I'm going to wait until he has had a few feeds before I go messing about with him.

He should be feeding every 5-7 days. If he fed on the 12th I would have fed him on the 19th. Then the 26th. and so on.
I thaw mine out in water. Just get hot water from the tap and thaw it out for a couple of miutes or until the pinky is thawed.

Good luck with him! He is gorgeous :D

He should be feeding every 5-7 days. If he fed on the 12th I would have fed him on the 19th. Then the 26th. and so on.
I thaw mine out in water. Just get hot water from the tap and thaw it out for a couple of miutes or until the pinky is thawed.

Good luck with him! He is gorgeous :D

I fed him yesterday and he didn't even hesitate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back