piggy backing ...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbellybite

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
OK well set the scene...Yesterday got a call around 1pm for an eastern brown in a ladys yard ...turn up she says its gone in side a hollow log in her garden ...have a look sure enough its in there...so have a good head scratch as this is a hard wood log ,so not possible to break it apart ,even though it was quite weathered ......I know will flood it out ..so stuck hose in one end and hoping it would come out the other end ...WRONG!!
He stayed in there having a nice cool swim ..so turned off hose ..let water subside ..and lucky it had left a nice loop hanging out of the log ..everything goes to plan ,pull the loop out ,tail will come out,and grab tail pull out of log and bag .....easy ...WRONG!!!
Its the bitey end that is about 2 foot away from me ,looking at me ,tongue going crazy ..
so I retreat ..so does he ..think again ..block other end off so no chance of getting out there ...clear away all the mulch..and stick my bag at the entry and try and convince him that it all good to get in there ..anyway set it up ...but he had other plans and tried to go past ..hooked the head back and guided him in the bag, and annoyed him with my jigger in the split of the log to keep him going ..and then watched ...I thought he has to be at least 5-51/2 feet and heavy set ..as he kept going and going ...
WELL today, as I went to hand him over to John ,because this Brown is going to Gosford NSW to be in the milking programme,I got to see really how big this fella was ...and he was pissed off ,as he had been in my car it is a really warm day and on top of that he was also sharing a piggy back with a RBBS in my bag ...this EB was at least 6feet long and as thick as ..it is the biggest EB I have ever caught so far in just over 4 years of catching ,I didnt take to many detailed pics as he was a cranky beast who wanted to kill both John and me if given the chance ...The RBBS was around 4 feet nice and thick and healthy ,it will be part of a training routine ,used by John and then later on released back to where he came from ...I got him out of a lounge room he followed a woman inside ..scared the hell out of her and took refuge under a plug in organ ...

My bag is the green one ,Johns is the white and I am taking the pics ,while John is holding them up ..just before getting put in his bag ...

DSCF2439.jpg

DSCF2438.jpg

DSCF2437.jpg

DSCF2436.jpg

The most thing that was amusing was ,as the EB was getting taken out ,the bloke looking on from his car ..let out a HOLY CRAP ...I even impressed John with this big fella ...;)

And I forgot to add I need to make me some more bags!!! ...mine was full with these two vens ...and piggy backing means that they were in the same bag but the eb was on the bottom the bag tied off then the rbbs was on the top ...dont think i had them in together ...:)

There's no tape measure beside it so I call it 5'11" :)

And that's OK...are bags are designed to be smart, your choice not to use them :)

Interesting that the ends were confused. It is my understanding that ARP don't have the required permit yet to take wild QLD Browns yet as QPWS are being difficult, so you would have to hold onto that animal until the permit to harvest has been passed and to hold that snake in your care until then would be breaking the conditions of your DMP.
But, you'd know that and wouldn't risk your DMP if you have one over a single Eastern Brown would you?
Kris.

Last edited:
LOL @ jonno and rbb, you too should just get it on already hehehe ;)

nice eb and rbb... that brown makes me warm in my parts.....

That defiantly is a good size Brown,very nice Red Belly also..Its good to see that some people are calling wildlife groups to rescue reptiles instead of the shovel treatment...Awesome job...Why did this one go for milking,how many do you catch that go...Cheers..MARK

Nice story RBB. Sounds like you have had quite the week. It would have been excellent to see some other pics of it. Maybe similar that there one in your avatar.

Regards.
Ewan.

Interesting that the ends were confused. It is my understanding that ARP don't have the required permit yet to take wild QLD Browns yet as QPWS are being difficult, so you would have to hold onto that animal until the permit to harvest has been passed and to hold that snake in your care until then would be breaking the conditions of your DMP.
But, you'd know that and wouldn't risk your DMP if you have one over a single Eastern Brown would you?
Kris.
Kris for starters I only held on to that EB for not even a 24 hour hold ,I am allowed up to 72 ..so I am not breaking any law ...The person I handed over the EB and RBBS too KNOWS the rules so what ever your inuendo is its WRONG;).....and might just add John has all permits to cover the hole caboodle now ...he is well known and well respected in the herp world and regarded very high up in the QPWS(EPA) ...

HA HA HA ..Jonno ...say it go on say it ...6 feet of eastern brownnnnnnnn :lol::lol::lol:

The thing is the permit for Easterns or anything else for that matter has not been granted for ARP as yet, so there is absolutely no reason to hold onto the animal. It is pretty simple really(you do understand "simple" things don't you? I was just letting you know......I understand you don't like people pointing things out to you, but you're a big girl now.
I'm pretty sure John "The Respected One" wouldn't like you drawing the attention of QPWS of illegal goings on either Oh Wise One.

Just out of interest, did you have to check the anal scale to make sure it was an Eastern Brown you were tampering with? :)

Peace out Chicky.

Last edited:
Kris say what you want ...I am not ashamed to say i have made ID mistakes ,,but see thats the difference between you and me ..I dont claim to know it all ....and if wrong can handle a bit of crap about it, even go along with the joke ...as far as you commenting about the regulations Kris ..you dont have a clue what your saying ...so think what you want ,say what you want ..but the fact is I GOT A 6 FOOT EASTERN BROWN AND CAUGHT IT ALL BY MY HILL BILLY LONESOME AND IT IS GOING TO NSW AND IT ALL ABOVE BOARD ....so stick that in your pipe and smoke it ;)

LOL those are awesome EB and RBBS ive seen a few while in Young and Berry but none as big as those two . Were they aggressive ? cause there has been a few of the browns in young that have been none to happy to be moved alot of rearing up

Yeah Mighty ..the EB was easy to catch on the day ..but this was due to me flooding the log out so it had plenty of time to cool right down ...but today was a bit of a different matter and he wanted to bite both of us ..he was carrying on in my car ..all I could see as i was driving was my bag thrashing around and him trying all his might to find a way out ...the rbbs was no drama at all ..sometimes I might get a flighty one but over all they are a beautiful placid snake to catch ...unlike the brownies..;)

There was a RBBS in berry that just came out for some afternoon sun and kind of looked at us then slowly slithered away not even jumpy at all more like ".... *Sigh*"

But on the otherhand there has been some brown snakes that i wouldnt like to come face to face with.. they seem VERY aggressive haha

Kris say what you want ...I am not ashamed to say i have made ID mistakes ,,but see thats the difference between you and me ..I dont claim to know it all ....and if wrong can handle a bit of crap about it, even go along with the joke ...as far as you commenting about the regulations Kris ..you dont have a clue what your saying ...so think what you want ,say what you want ..but the fact is I GOT A 6 FOOT EASTERN BROWN AND CAUGHT IT ALL BY MY HILL BILLY LONESOME AND IT IS GOING TO NSW AND IT ALL ABOVE BOARD ....so stick that in your pipe and smoke it ;)

Ain't you a big barrel of fun. Read, or get someone to read your conditions of holding a DMP to you. You may learn something. Call ARP and they themselves will tell you that they cannot accept any wildcaught stuff at the moment because they do not have the neccessary permit. But like usual you would probably want to argue with them too.

I couldn't care less how big, or not big the brown was. The problem is the legalities of what you are trying to do. The only way you could have made it leagal is is it was being sent down as a captive snake that someone had paperwork for....and you wouldn't get yourself caught up in that kind of thing would you?

Well done with the identification too. You are on a roll tonight.

I don't go saying a snake is something unless I know, I'd hate to be one of the snake tamperers that continually jumps into an id thread and then have to correct myself constantly....you tend to look a weee bit silly.

Kris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back