Pimples

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke_jensen

Reaction score
My vic Carpet has little lumps all over her body like pimples. If you sqeez them white pussy stuff comes out like a pimple. she's had them for ages now, she's been to the vet several times, but with no solution.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas what they could be

I've got 4 others, they have all interacted and they don't have it. I don't sqeeze them often, i just did iy to see what they were.

I would be looking for a different vet. I wonder how long this can go on for before it becomes systemic ?

I hate to sound silly, especially if you are all joking, but can snakes get chicken pox? Is it just the name for another virus that looks like chicken pox?

Duke your snake has blister disease. This usually occurs as a secondary problem to scale rot, but it can occur by itself. Blister disease is most often caused by warm, humid air within an enclosure. Make sure your cage is dry and clean with good ventilation and clean up any spilled water bowls. Blister disease spreads when your snake is preparing to shed. The blisters can cause minor scars but they'll disappear with each shed.

does anything else cause it as the cage is well ventilated and the floor is never wet. I do have dog food size water bowls could that be the problem

Size of the water bowls is only a problem if the water is creating enough humidity to fog up the glass doors. This will happen if the bowl is directly under basking lamps or if its a big bowl in a small enclosure. If it was me, i would move the snake to another enclosure or wash the one its in now and give it a different substrate. If your using newspaper try BC cat litter or vice versa and leave the water bowl in the enclosure on day a week.

Thanks for the advice, the glass doesn't fog up but I will try changing to kitty litter. what about those paper pellets you can get for rats, I've seen people use those with thier snakes?

I think I've seen them on here in someone's photo of there enclosure, anyone know what I'm talking about?

The pellets you saw probably was breeder's choice kitty litter, alot of snake keepers use it. You can pick it up at Coles starting from $8 or so a bag.

-Naomi

Yes i would say its definately blister disease. The only other thing it could be is skin worms but they're more likely to occur in frog eating species not a captive bred python. And as you're only getting fluid out when you squeeze them, it must be blister disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back