Pink tounge hiding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpetrik

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My pink tounge has done nothing but hide since I've had her she comes out to feed and lay under the UVB for maybe 10 minutes if I'm lucky every second or third day I was wondering if any one else has had an experience like this and what can I do to make it more comfortable for her so she comes out more or is it just in there nature to hide

my bobtail does this when he is coming up for a shed. He has breakfast (sometimes wont eat at all for a few days) then he basks for about 30 mins and then goes back to bed.
I had a bit of trouble in the begining with him as i didn't give him enough heat. Now he has a basking spot of 40 degree's and he's doing just fine.
Maybe yours is getting ready for a shed??

what are your enclosure temps. I know with bluey's and beardies, that if the temps aren't warm enough they just hide.
Also as mentioned above, my bluey's hide when they are ready to shed.
I would say it's more likely either on hot enough for scared. What are your temps, can you post a pic of the enclosure and what are you feeding

Cheers, Jane

It's a malamine tank with UVB and a basking light the basking spot reaches around 36-38 and the cool side around 32 she has just finished a shed bid she's been doing this since I've had her and that's about 2 months my bluey has never been one to hide his the biggest show off out, I'll post a pic when home from work

No sorry she takes about 4 days to shed I've had her for 2 months and her tank is misted daily I do give a bath once a week and the only reason I warmed the tank to that was cause I was told it may be to cold for her and that's why she could be hiding, that's obviously wrong cause she's still doing it

What substrate are you using? I found when l used pallets, mine would hide all the time. When l changed it to newspaper and papertowel, he would come out and be very sociable

I don't think enclosure temps overly matter here in QLD for pinkies. I don't give mine any heat except in winter and they're active, so I don't think its anything to do with the temps. Maybe yours is just very secretive. My two will come out every so often but its not odd for them to spend a whole day in hiding.

Yeah it's a bit disappointing she hides so much I've just put her in with a male so hope fully in the next few weeks I can get them to breed does anyone know how long pinkies are pregnant for rufley

Well, if you want to see her be more social then would remove the substrate and replace with papertowel. Force her to stay in the open and get acustom to the comings and goings.
Obviously you still need to make sure she has a hide, but maybe face it to the front. Sit infront of the enclosure (if possible) and see how that flies

Thanks for the advice I'll give the paper towel ago and just leave one hide facing the enclosure opening and see how it goes and hope for the best

I have had 3 p-t,s for 7 years now and to hide is what they prefer.They do move around their enclosure late at night and at feed time . I brought 2 from a guy (for half price) who thought they were boring because they hid mostly.I love them just the same you will see them over the years. Bruce Your temps are way to high they prefer temps around day 24c & night 16c well ventilated and moist with bushy plants as they like to climb.I have repti bark for substrate . Bruce. Please lower those temps.

Last edited:
Hi I have 2 adult PTs and yes they do like to hide apparently they are nocturnal reps I have mine in a glass tank with cocoa peat just enuff to cover the bottom of the tank with one hide there is just enuff substrate so they can burry themselves I live in Qld so during summer I don't have heat on them at all and only have a heat mat on them in winter at about. 24 degrees. I found mine started off really shy and were really picky and would only eat snails but now I have successfully bred them and got them eating dog food to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back