Pinky Pump

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

playwell

Reaction score
I'm going to use one for the first time on a stubborn little coastal.

As with everything, there is always different versions of how people use them.

So please give some advise and let me know how some of you guys & girls use them.

Q1. Do you put a whole pinky straight in the tube & push the plunger, or do you soften the pinky up first?

Q2. How many dod you put in the tube at one time, as the tube is quite large.

Thanks for your answers. :wink:

Playwell, firstly i'd like to talk you out of using one. If the python has hatched out as a healthy snake without any problems then it WILL become an established feeder overtime. I think Pinky Pumps are an excuse for the lazy or impatient! These pumps have a rim around the tip which is one of the things i dont like about them. The end should be smooth and tapered. When the pump is first inserted into the mouth the babies often have a habit of lunging forward which causes the pump to go down the throat too quickly. When this happens the rim of the pump can easily knock teeth out and also cause bruising to the gums, especially in the palatine area.

If you decide to use it then warm the pinkies up and then place about 4 into the tube. You need to plunged down hard, causing the pinkies to burst and a lot of goo to come out. Most times though the pinkies will all clog up within the pump and you'll find yourself wondering why you bought the pump in the first place.

Hopefully someone else whose mastered the art of using the pump can reply and give you POSITIVE info.

I am with serp on this one. There are other way if you are desperate. Try to use mice tails first.

Bring it over and i will show you how to force feed him. My coastal I had trouble with now eats thawed fuzzies. Sometimes carpets prefer larger prey with fur. Have you tried it on a live fuzzie?

Thanks for the comment ST.

This is an unfortunate situation where this particular snake that I have had for over 12 months refuses to eat untill I think he is about to die. Then he may eat one mouse. I have tried everything.
All the techniques mentioned here & a few of my own. The only thing I havnt done is push the food down his neck.

I am very close to giving up on him as he is taking space and giving me the poo's.

He is painfully thin, and still not much bigger than a hatchy. His colours are getting very dull even after his shed. Not to mention how thin he is.

This pinky pump is a pretty nasty looking thing but if it get him used to having food in his belly then maybe he will come around.

He has been to vets, all say they dont know he seems fine but is under weight.

No problems with any other snakes, all will eat me out of house and home.

Bottom line he is getting worse and I think this is the last straw.

I can see how this Pump will block as it has 4 small holes like a strainer. I think I'm goping to have to swish'em then put them in. YUK! :roll:

I have tried live & thawed mice, baby chickens, small rats, finches.
I have tried the braining all the little tricks.

If he does eat it will be a live mouse only.

I have to agree with ST & Slatey, why not just try forcefeeding a whole baby rat or mouse to him? - Why spend the extra money on a pinkie pump, when you can do it by hand. I've always been advised against the pump, - because if the snake does regurge the gooey mess of the pinkie/s than they can actually drown. Once you have the hang of force feeding a snake, it only takes a couple of minutes to do it.

Playwell I am willing to come and help you first time to forsefeed him if you are close to me. Please pm me.

Use a rat's tail, rather than a pinky/fuzzy, it is 50 times easier, and 100 times less stressful on the snake.

If you have to use a pump the pinky has to be pulped FIRST. There used to be an article on here about how to use them authored by Spilota Chick.

playwell said:
I can see how this Pump will block as it has 4 small holes like a strainer. I think I'm goping to have to swish'em then put them in. YUK! :roll:

Yep, its those 4 holes that gets clogged, usually by the pinkies skin. You would be much better off using mince, it oozes out of the pump so much better.

I noticed that skinks werent on your list off other items tried. Try one. I know so many people are against it, but years ago i would get whole clutches feeding by using skinks. The tails of Three toed skinks works wonders. Its so long and fleshy, it's a meal in itself!!

How about when she's feeding you carefully put another mouse in her mouth as the first is disappearing down her throat.

It's an unfortunate fact but some hatchlings emerge from there eggs somehow....not quite right. And i have noticed this more-so in hatchlings that dont absorb their yolk, but rather are coaxed out of the egg prematurely and then the umbilical cord tied. I have never found any snakes to do well after being subjected to this treatment. Also, bad clutches can produce bad hatchlings, and i'd say your snake came from a bum clutch.

i also had a coastal hatchling which wouldnt eat for months on end, i was steered away from pumps and shown how to force feed, works a treat, i also think if you look in the southern cross reptiles comp threads there are answers on how to force feed. my coastal now will take your hand off (metaphorically speaking, mmmkay) and will leave live food to run around and not know what to do with it (only did that once).

I have used the pump successfully. I am sorry to admit it but I used live newborn pinkies and had no blockage. there is a place for them. I place a piece of silicon tube over the end and I also give it a squirt before I insert so there is no air being forced down the throat. I mostly use it with A/D prescription diet on rescue animals.

To force feed it you need a pair of tweezers to hold the food, some water to soak the food a little, a toothpick to open the snake's mouth, an assistant to hold the snake out straight and some patience.
Hold the snake's head by the throat with your left forefinger and thumb. Roll the toothpick from under the chin to open the mouth at the top lip, you hardly need to press and it won't hurt the snake a bit. Once the mouth is open i slide the toothpick all the way to the inside of the jaws and place the pinky in past the teeth and then pull out the toothpick. Hold the snakes's head down so the pinky is fastened onto the teeth. You can tickle the snake under the chin as you push more of the prey into the mouth and down the throat. Don't relax as the snake will try and regurgitate if you don't keep up the tickling and holding the snake's mouth closed. If the first one goes in easy push another pinky in after the first.

This was shown to me by Congo Python's Dad and i have got my tongueless carpet python eating by himself now and shown a couple of people how to do it as well.

PLaywell,

If you can come to the Mac Herps meeting on Friday night, I'm know there will be people there who can show you how to forcefeed, and how to use a pinky pump.

:p

Hix

Well what can I say, what an amazing response.
I am very greatful for such a positve response with all of your helpful replies & PM's.

The pinky pump will be shelved & the force feeding method will be tried on the week end.

Thank you all for making this such a helpful great site.
I will let you know how it all goes.

:arrow: Once again, Thank You. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back