Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have kept many different Morelia spp in pairs and groups of three. Indoors as well as outdoors. Some of these animals pictured have lived together for nearly a decade without problems. The majority breed every year the females are fed well.

Knowing your animals and being able to recognise early signs of stress is critical if attempting to keep animals together. Small changes can disrupt the peace and you must be able to spot these behaviours before they become detrimental to the animals health.

In saying that, I find great satisfaction in seeing adult specimens 'getting along' all year round. I even have pairs that do not challenge each other for food. They will let their cage-mate eat peacefully, even when they have finished their own meal and would readily accept another. I'll picture it next time I feed them.

View attachment 295109View attachment 295110View attachment 295111
View attachment 295112View attachment 295113View attachment 295114

Mine eat fine together too

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376662727071.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376662727071.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 71
I'm glad I started this post, it has made for some interesting reading.
Thanks onimocnhoj, I appreciated your input.

I've seen a dead Stimi after it ate another Stimi. Both juvies..... Not my animals though.
Yer juvies are different to adults or sub adults, I've had juvies bite there own tails and try to eat it

Yer juvies are different to adults or sub adults, I've had juvies bite there own tails and try to eat it
didnt see it myself in person but there is a post on here in the antaresia freaks thread i think that shows pics of 2 ants both adults put together for breeding , however one is halfway down the throat of the other , i dont think its all hearsay , it can happen
( yes even in adults) and people do need to be cautious and aware of that fact

Can anyone on here actually say they have seen in person two snakes of same species eat each other or does everyone work on heresay. My mates uncle has a friend who knew a guy that heard about two snakes eating each other so it must be true.

Well it's never happened to me, however how many people would be willing to admit to general husbandry errors on their behalf which resulted in the death of their snakes?

I have a friend who had it happen to two young perthensis, through complacency they were housed together while attempting to get them onto mice. One morning one had been eaten, by the next morning it had been regurgitated and the second had also died. Anteresia are probably one of the more likely species to have that happen especially when young.

Another friend who is well known had a pair of adult lowlands copper heads (could've been highlands) of identical size that he stuck together for breeding, the male ate the female and surprisingly didn't die due to the size of the meal.

But is the above taken into account because it wasn't my experience only 'heresay'???

Mine eat fine together too

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4
Cathy that's asking for trouble spesh if one finishes first and grabs the other end of the others......then one of the snakes will keep going and engulf the other

I fed some snakes on the weekend and thought I should post some of the scenarios I mentioned earlier in this thread. This is by no means a green light to feed snakes together or a post promoting free love and mungbeans between snakes. It is simply some interesting pictures that are a common occurrence with these pairs.

I have many pairs that I would never try this with, but these pairs along with a few others don't argue over meals. Regardless, supervision is always a must when feeding animals communally.

Male Jungle feeding while the female 'gives way'

DSCN1282.JPG

Female GTP feeding while the male 'gives way'

DSCN1286.JPG

The other snakes fed later that day, but weren't interested in feeding while the other was.

Dominance or courtesy lol?

Please don't try this at home kids!! Santa won't come if you do..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back