Please Post Monitor Enclosure Pictures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey GeckPhotographer, I used to keep and breed Gillens in a similar enclosure and found the monitors seemed happier with a flood light just above their hide on the floor. This created their hot spot ( 60 deg ). I then placed a 12 v dicroic up high with a uv tube. The gillens would 'charge up ' at the hot spot then take to their branches to enjoy themselves and hang out under the fluoro. Ill look for a photo but no promises. cheers

Hey thanks what was the floodlight like? I have not got a UV as I had heard monitors did not need one. I am a little unhappy with my hotspot at the moment the 250W bulb shown in my pic is only reaching about 46 C.

Also how did you put/attach the floodlight in the enclosure and ensure they could not tough it?

I must admit that out of everything on this forum the things that confuse me the most is lighting terminology.

You cannot see it in the picture but there is a GU10 light up high in their enclosure just for lighting that supplies minimal heat (even though it was what I had advised as a heat light to me). I think this is similar to a dichroic light?

Mine have been moving between on top of the roof of that box down in the left of the picture and on top of the log just underneath the basking light I have (which I said has only been reaching 46 C).

Thanks in advance, the monitors seem to be doing fine at the moment, are active and eating (they woke up from inside their sleeping area so it must have got somewhat warm under it), but of course if anything I can do will improve their happiness I am willing to keep improving their enclosure.

monitor will need uv so you will have to get some of that too them... and 46 will do but a bit hotter will be optional :) once it has some uv it will be a very nice enclosure imo

few tanks from the past and present..

Attachments

• DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_0202.jpg
    DSC_0202.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0204.jpg
    DSC_0204.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 129
  • sand4.jpg
    sand4.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 146
  • sand2.jpg
    sand2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 126
  • sand.jpg
    sand.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
V.gilleni don't require UV, 46c is fine however if you can get it a bit hotter it wouldn't hurt...

That is ok I have a spare UV globe in my cupboard I can plug in tomorrow.

From Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards (aka my bible) "Exposure to UV is beneficial but not absolutely necessary, providing calcium/D3 supplement is added to the diet on a regular basis."

Since I dust my crickets and woodies wit a 3:1 Calcium:multivitamin powder 4 of 5 feeds with most of my lizards (geckos, and beardies) and plan to do with these monitors as well I assume this will be fine?

Last edited:
They don't need UV....
150 Watt Flood light for sub adult and adult small monitors
100 Watt Flood light for babies and smaller Monitors

I don't really worry about having a light enclosure, they will touch the light once and know never to touch it again.
60-70 degrees is perfect (surface temperature) and have an ackie stack so they can self regulate themselves.

Calcium: Yep that's fine.
When my monitors got too eating rodents I used a syringe to inject liquid calcium into the rodent itself every fortnight or so. Not really needed but it makes me happy and feel warm inside.

Last edited:
Please tell me if Monitors don't have access to any UVB, how can they diggest calcium & vitamine D3 properly, do you all know where alot of small Monitors a found natually out in the wild, and how hot the temperature and how strong UVA & UVB is.

ln 2003 l myself was given permission by the Parks & wildlife Commission of NT in Darwin, to collect 6 Pygmy-Mulga Monitors from the wild in Alice Springs NT, the UV from that region is very strong out in the open during the summer peak period.

So for anyone to say small Monitors that come from areas such as Outback Central Australia, and l'm talking about, Ridge-Tailed, Pygmy-Mulga, Storrs, Short-Tailed Pygmy for example, don't need access to UVA & UVB, should do some research before they log into any Reptile forum and say they don't need access to UV In My Opinion.

Last edited:
Ok your the expert.
I'll tell my friends who have been keeping Monitors for 30 years + to change everything straight away.

So why/how have they been successfully raised/bred/kept without UV in captivity then, reptilian1993?

Please tell me if Monitors don't have access to any UVB, how can they diggest calcium & vitamine D3 properly, do you all know where alot of small Monitors a found natually out in the wild, and how hot the temperature and how strong UVA & UVB is.

ln 2003 l myself was given permission by the Parks & wildlife Commission of NT in Darwin, to collect 6 Pygmy-Mulga Monitors from the wild in Alice Springs NT, the UV from that region is very strong out in the open during the summer peak period.

So for anyone to say small Monitors that come from areas such as Outback Central Australia, and l'm talking about, Ridge-Tailed, Pygmy-Mulga, Storrs, Short-Tailed for example, don't need access to UVA & UVB, should do some research before they log into any Reptile forum and say they don't need access to UV In My Opinion.
The highest recorded temperature in Australian history was 50.7 so why should these monitors be needing a temperature of between 60 and 70 degrees Celsius?

As I understand it Vitamin D3 is required for the "digestion" or absorption of calcium but I may be wrong on that point.

Last edited:
Highest air temperature, not surface temperature. If you go outside and take the temperature of the a bitumen road in summer I can guarantee you you that the temperature can get above 50 degrees easy.

I don't really worry about having a light enclosure, they will touch the light once and know never to touch it again.
60-70 degrees is perfect (surface temperature) and have an ackie stack so they can self regulate themselves.

i think uv light for me is the feeling that they are receiving UV from a light source like in the wild and the extra supplements for me it makes me feel better about my personal setup.. now back to the pictures:p

Anxiously awaiting reptilian's reply...

D3 is what they get from the sun. If you can give them that via there diet then you are replacing what they need from the sun. The d3 is what aids calcium absorption and so you can see where that comes in.

The argument that it is present in there natural environment and so they must need it in captivity is a weak one and is not 'research'. Should we also make sure they have their natural dose of parasites?

Last edited:
D3 is what they get from the sun. If you can give them that via there diet then you are replacing what they need from the sun. The d3 is what aids calcium absorption and so you can see where that comes in.

The argument that it is present in there natural environment and so they must need it in captivity is a weak one and is not 'research'. Should we also make sure they have there natural dose of parasites?
Snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back