Please Post Monitor Enclosure Pictures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some pics of my V.t.orientalis.
IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I just rechecked my temps (I decided to run them into the night a while as it was my first real temperature check because the GU10 did not reach the right temps), the log I intend as their basking site is now reading 55 C. So it might get up towards that optimal range if it is left on long enough. Thinking of replacing the log that goes up toward the left of the pic with a more stump like log which they can move up and down the side of to thermoregulate better.

They came out today and started basking even though they were hiding under that thick piece of log on the ground last night, so is it really necessary to have the basking light right on a hide they can use or is it ok for it to be elevated that much and just have them come up to bask on it as long as they wake up?

I was thinking of an ackie stack like suggested but do not like the unnatural look of these, does anyone have a more natural looking alternative?

(Going to bed now, will check thread when I get home tomorrow) so thanks in advance and thanks for being so helpful guys.

You are entitle to disagree with me mate, let me tell you one thing no matter how long or how many Reptiles you keep now or in the future, you including myself or any other Reptile keepers will never ever become a expert or know everything about them, whether its the same specie of what you have now or something different, you will learn something that you never knew or have known about previously, cause they all have different personalities just like us humans do.

l myself have been keeping and breeding Reptiles since 1975, l didn't get my very first Python until August 1989. and l'm still learning alot about their behaviour as l always will be now and into the future.

I completely agree with you that neither myself or anyone else will ever know EVERYTHING there is to know about any one species, and although I respect the fact that you have been keeping/breeding for such a long time, I still can't see why monitors require UV.

I also don't see why you would type something along the lines of 'don't sign into a reptile forum and provide advice without doing research', when in reality, they are kept and bred this way and have been for a very long time...

As mentioned by another member above, as long as sufficient D3 supplementation is provided to help with the absorption of calcium, it is not a necessity...

Wow I missed the party!

GeckP. you might have to play around with lights, basking spots etc until you get it right. There is no strict formula, there are guidelines. You dont want the whole cage at 60 + degrees!

Retes stacks are a great idea but dont just dump it on the top of your substrate, bury a couple of layers under your substrate. This creates different micro climates for your monitors. Ive used pva glue to adhere red sand to the ply. Ive also used ceramic tiles.

As for monitors and Uv, all my young monitors as well as breeding monitors get uv. They might not need it but why short change them? My two cents

i also find the the UV tube make my display tanks look ALOT better which is another plus. might have a play with some stacks pva and sand these holidays hmm

Ok, so I have heard Compact UV coils can cause eye damage in beardeds. I have also heard this used to occur but has been fixed. Just to be on the safe side I thought I would ask whether there are any known problems with these and monitors.

Ok here is an update of my cage.
Monitor Cage.jpg
The blue line represents where three sort of flat-ish logs are running between the two bigger logs. The Gillen's can bask, run around, hide, get annoyed at each other and generally do what they do on these. The red lines represent where the big log is hollow, which is right through it with large space inside so not really a place they can sleep or anything but just somewhere they can utilize if the want. The black dot/circle represents an upright log with a small amount of sandstone rocks around it, I thought these rocks might come in handy for shedding as they are quite coarse, and the log has both crevices or the ability for them to hide under it. There is another log to the right of this that they can also hide under.

The green circle repesents a Exo Terra Sun Glow 150 Watt Basking Spot Lamp. The top basking spot is a bit closer to this now than in the old setup and although I have not checked yet as the wood has not heated up yet the surface temp should be getting to about 65 C based on what it was a little bit lower, of course they can also bask lower down at lower temperature if they like.

The yellow circle represents a GU10 light which is primarily just for light light but I have noticed them utilizing basking under this too.

The cage has now only been set up this way for about half an hour, they really appear to be enjoying the basking spot and are also exploring around like crazy. Feel free to comment.

This is another tank i've made up no deco in it in this photo though..

Attachments

• 27:4 tank.jpg
    27:4 tank.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 132
Hey G.P

Id put a stack down low and have their main heat above that, remember heat rises. The globe will end up about half way along that hollow log. It worked for me. I also use naturally rolled lengths of bark to fill large hollows. I guess cardboard tubes would work as well. This creates nice tight cover for the monitors makes it easier to access them if you really have too.

Tall cages are harder to set up correctly,imo, but I think you'll definately agree they are worth it when you see your monitors utilising their whole enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back