Poor Fella :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately nature can be harsh but that's what this is nature, every now and then nature has an imbalance so it kills off weaker animals, if this little guy had died then so be it, it was its destiny to become food for ants and worms. Sad but natural

That is true, and if every snake from every clutch survived on that island they would eventually run out of food and all die. There has to be a balance but personally I'm glad the poor thing got some help :)

Where do we draw the line though? Ticks and parasites need to feed, why do we think a wild python is more important than 100 ticks? We don't think it looks nice but that's nature and ecosystems require that sort of thing to happen. Survival of the fittest: why do humans try to play god and interfere?
Maybe you should read some of the other comments....

I personally would have and have in the past interfered with nature, we humans have destroyed enough of this world so if you can help even just a little then I think we can help balance out our unnecessary killings with a few saves

Where do we draw the line though? Ticks and parasites need to feed, why do we think a wild python is more important than 100 ticks? We don't think it looks nice but that's nature and ecosystems require that sort of thing to happen. Survival of the fittest: why do humans try to play god and interfere?

Interesting thought. Next time I go on an African safari and the ranger boards the Jeep with his .458 Winchester Magnum I should say "leave that at the lodge mate I am happy to let nature take its course". Seriously though what a terrible picture it never ceases to surprise me how resilient snakes are.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Yes haha serious poor dude, he was three mtrs and so calm, but I gathered that the ticks, more than half of them being paralysis ticks, had slowed him down a bit, it took just me coz no-one else wanted to get near such a big fella, a three hour session to get them all and he lay there the whole time, even for the ones on his head and round the cnrs of his eyes, he barely moved..yes they are a pain paralysis ticks, nearly killed two of my dogs last season and they came in on magpies, was totally shocked :(

Do paralysis ticks affect reptiles less than mammals? My parents cat had a couple of scares with only 2 or 3 ticks, it's amazing a snake had hundreds and survived. If they do have less of an effect do we know why?

Do paralysis ticks affect reptiles less than mammals? My parents cat had a couple of scares with only 2 or 3 ticks, it's amazing a snake had hundreds and survived. If they do have less of an effect do we know why?

Paralysis ticks don't have the same affect on our natives as on our pets. It only takes one on a cat or dog and they are in serious trouble whereas our natives have a partial immunity and can have quite a few with no drastic results. Hence why you don't see paralysed kangaroos everywhere during tick season.

Paralysis ticks don't have the same affect on our natives as on our pets. It only takes one on a cat or dog and they are in serious trouble whereas our natives have a partial immunity and can have quite a few with no drastic results. Hence why you don't see paralysed kangaroos everywhere during tick season.

Ah thanks, I never even thought about kangaroos. So a non-native snake or lizard would be in the same amount of trouble as a non-native mammal I'm guessing?

Ah thanks, I never even thought about kangaroos. So a non-native snake or lizard would be in the same amount of trouble as a non-native mammal I'm guessing?
Not so much, reptiles can cope with ticks for months and months, they metabolize the venom very slowly, Roo's combat the problem with social grooming, they pull the ticks off each other, some dogs such as cattle/working dogs, can build up a resistance to paralysis ticks, when they are exposed to small amounts of venom frequently during work, same with cats, but their resistance is the lowest and I do believe it's cats(their blood)that they use to make the anti-venom...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back