Probably going to be a python owner!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanthine

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey, all!

I'm seriously considering getting a python, probably either a spotted, due to the size and they do look OK, or a bredli, because I really just like the look of them. I want to actually take good care of it, so I thought I'd contact some people who have more experience. Research has indicated that these are quite suitable for beginners, and I have handled some at pet stores, and at work (I work in a pet store, usually referred to as that turtle dude), so I know I'm comfortable handling and feeding them.

Other than temperature gradients and hides, is there anything I really need to know about enclosures? As I'm thinking of getting a young one, my thought was to keep it in a click clack (heated by a mat) until it's large enough for me to need to make it a display enclosure. The diamonds need UV lighting, but am I correct that carpets and spotteds don't?

The only thing that's really preventing me from getting one soon, other than my need for a licence, is that I will be moving states at the end of the year to Brisbane to study med, and it's going to be awkward enough moving a turtle (although I suppose that the snake won't have a 4 foot tank and a filter, hehe), let alone having a snake on top of it. Also, it almost seems a waste to buy a licence for only 2 months.

Any thoughts, comments, or threads you think I should read would be appreciated.

Tim

Hi Tim, Sounds like your off to a good start mate, and as you have mentioned and i would think wait till you have moved to get your little python and
try joinning a herp society in your new state as the local's can help you out with your new python

You sound fairly ready. UV light is always a good idea even if not required (more so for lizards) but if you get him/her into the sun a bit couple times a week should be right and the snake will like a change of scenery too most likely. Click Clack set up sounds good. Make sure there's always a dish of fresh water. just deep enough to submerge the snakes body incase he wants to chill in his water bowl. some do. Other than that. thermostat to monitor hot and cool end, thermometers (one up each end), hides as you mentioned. For display cage: branches, logs, substrate, decor stuff, globes (unless you decide to use heat mats/cords. FOOD tehe. As for snakes both are great snakes. Bredli's get fairly big but not anything unmanageable. I like stimsons. (slightly smaller than spotteds) and I love Woma's. Not sure where you live atm but in Vic you require an advance licence for Woma's. Otherwise all's good. ENJOY!!!!!!:D

As much as I would love a bhp, I know that I have already got a turtle that will need a 6, maybe 8 foot enclosure in a year or two, and agreeing to take in another animal with similar requirements is too much considering my uncertainty in where I'll be living, so I'm looking at a 4 foot enclosure max. I'm in Victoria at the moment, but I will be moving to Queensland. It was my plan to get the snake out for some sun, and that's exactly what I do with the turtle at the moment (though the tutle also has a UVB 10 globe over its enclosure).

BHP's arent much different in size from Bredili pythons, so your cage requirements would be the same after a year or two... depending on food sizes etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back