Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahbell

Reaction score
just wanted some other ppls ideason putting haties together
the breeds im thinking of putting together are
2 bredli in one enclosure
2 jungles in one enclosure
they will be fed seperatly and have a hide box each
im just after some opions from a few different ppl that may have done this
thanks

Sarahbell,

I havent done this myself, but I do know of several people who have, and as long as they are about the same size, there shouldn't be a problem. The only issue you would have would be feeding (which you've covered) and possibly males fighting (if they are 2 males) around breeding season. The last one is a guess though....

I dont see a prob with it at all.We keep baby pairs of Bredli and baby pairs of maccies together.We also keep pairs of sub adults(Bredli's and Maccies)together.We feed outside the cages seperately.As far as hides go they almost always decide to share the same one.

cheers M.....

Sarahbell - Two things:-

1) Put me down for one of each of their offspring in a couple of years... :lol:

2) Someone on Australianherps is looking for you as well.... Not sure if you got the message or not, but thought I'd tell you anyway! :?

8) 8) 8)

I don't see any problems with it. My 1st snakes were a pair of darwins which I purchased with intent to breed to finance a collection of more expensive hatchies.Heres something I did which im sure to cop alot of flack on for the stupidity and ignorance on my part.

The 1st time I had bred snakes I hadn't prepared myself for it and ended up with 28 hatchies in a 4 foot fishtank untill I could finance the money to house them seperately.I fed them 1 at a time and it took what felt like a full day to feed them all,I also seperated those that wouldn't eat so I knew what had eaten and what hadn't.As I didn't know how to sex them back then keeping tabs on what snake was what sex wasn't a concern as I'd be selling them as unknown sexes anyway.I actually built a shoe rack after selling a few hatchies using a melamine rack holding 60 containers from chinese resturants and heat tape.I must confess that at the time I was new to not only breeding but also the hobby itself and was far from ready to be breeding,but I learnt alot from my 1st experiences and corrected the issues I was faced with in the beginning.I now house them seperately and have learnt to probe and have bred 2 more times since then (another pair of darwins, and a trio of jungles).

PS I say trio of jungles as I had placed the male in with both females rather than introduce him to one at a time (I read on Pauls site thats how he does it also) so I count the trio as 1 breeding but 4 females have layed for me all up (2 darwins on seperate occasions, and 2 jungles at same season)

From what I have read on the net its not a go idea as you can end up with one snake. A snake seems more tasty than a mouse.

You have to remember that snakes don't live togeater in the wild.

my 2 cents.

:p My general understanding is if it will eat a skink it will eat a snake,species i wouldnt house together as hatchies are childreni & i think bhps might also be carnivorus.There would also be a few other species but imho if it will eat a skink i believe it will eat a snake. :p

I can only pass on what we are doing here and what I have seen other keepers do_Our snakes both juvs and sub adults live together quite happily in pairs,in fact they always share the same hide although they have a few to choose from.
BHP's as I understand do need to be kept solo as they are cannibalistic.
As far as any species that eats skinks would eat other snakes then that wouldn't leave many species at all that you could house together as most as I understand do eat lizards in the wild.

cheers M......

True Alex,
But I find housing the same species together poses no threat. I have read of breeders keeping BHP of the same sex together year round.I strongly advise against housing canabalistic species with other species though as this will lead to heart break.

couldnt you house snakes that will eat other snakes together as long as they are round same size

Housing

I can't speak for other species, but I have two spotted pythons that have been in the same enclosure since I got them without problems. They also shared the same hide for about a year, even though they had a choice of three hides in their enclosure. They seem to like the close quarters when they squeeze in together.

I have also put all four snakes (1 x olive, 1 x diamond, 2 x spotted, various sizes) in the one enclosure temporarily when I cleaned the cages (keeping a close eye on them, of course!) and they all happily co-existed.

I also take all four out in the sun on a regular basis and they slither around and over each other without a care in the world.

I would think that if both snakes were put in the enclosure at the same time, they should accept the other easily. However, if one was in the enclosure for an extended period, it would develop a territorial attitude, and a newcomer may be treated with aggression. However, this is just my humble theory, not based on any research.

If it was me, I'd try it, but keep a very close eye on them for a while.

My Bredl's have been together since I bought them as hatchlings a year ago, I suppose that makes 'em yearlings now and never a problem of any kind.

I put my carpets in together for a while. After 2 months or so, I got some new cages and seperated them coz having them together was just too stressful for me. Actually had one bite the other after feeding one day (I guess the mouse smell was still there.) Also, being an in enclosure feeder, having to remove them for feeding was more hassle than I wanted.

Snakes are generally loners but I've seen 'families' of diamond pythons curled up together in rock crevices etc around Sydney before. I've kept 4 carpets in an enclosure before without probs, they spend most of their time curled up together. Id kinda depends how young they are IMO. I'd keep the hatchlings seperate meself...

hatchlings together

we dont like to keep babys together.. this is for feeding reasons.. especally jungles arnt keen of being tubed for feeding so the more they feel at home the better they will eat.
on eating each other..
we know of bhps,stimmys, maccys, childreni, waters, olives as well as a coastal that took a fancy for there cage mates..lol..and the maccy ate a bigger cage mate not the other way around.
this is just our idea when we are looking to add to the collection..If you havent got the room or cant afford to give them there own home dont get the animal.
pretty simple idea.
cheers paul.

So, in your opinions guys, gals and Paul :) I should seperate my Bredli??
I have never considered cannibalism to be a threat until now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back