Pygmy python ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variety

Reaction score
Ive noticed that alot of breeders will refuse to sell first time keepers pygmy pythons,
Not interested in one but im just curious as to why this is ?
I Assume its the same with GTP in that they do need that little bit of extra care but this is just a guess so if anyone knows please let me know

Because they are crap!!! Who wants a 'worm' as a pet??? lol :). jokes..

You would be correct. They are very delicate as hatchies like GTP's and apparently can be difficult feeders.

Delicate like fragile spines ? also i had no idea they were difficult feeders. Do they get better as they mature ?

I haven't had anything to do with Pygmy Pythons but from what I have read the diffuiculty with feeding comes about due to the small feed size required for the hatchlings. It is highly possible that I am wrong but figured it's worth a try anyway.

The irony of its name being antaresia PERTHensis and still not being aloud to keep in Perth, any who they just seem like an undersized stimmi so why not just keep a stimmi

The irony of its name being antaresia PERTHensis and still not being aloud to keep in Perth, any who they just seem like an undersized stimmi so why not just keep a stimmi

When you spend time in the areas they are found and come across them , your appreciation of this little python will undoubtedly grow.

From what pictures I have seen they are very different from a stimmi :) I would love to own one one day but for now i'm happy with my stimson. I'll wait til i have a bit more experience if feeding really is an issue :)

I am a newbie and I bought Hector, my juvenile (not too sure on exact age, but he's under 6 months) pygmy python just under two weeks ago. I've had no problems feeding him and handled him for the first time last night :D I got him from Ultimate Reptile Suppliers, and they advised me they only sell pythons that are feeding well already.

I have done quite a bit of research on what to expect and made sure to let him settle in for a few days before his first feed, and then even longer before his first handling.

I too was worried about feeding, but as soon as I brought out a bit of food for him it was all he could think about and he gobbled it up!

I'm guessing newbies would probably encounter problems when feeding them as a hatchling (I wouldn't know what to do if he wasn't feeding) as they would have no experience in raising them at that age, and that's why they would refuse to be sold to them.

what a load of rubbish, and its funny how every one that has them says the same thing.....solar 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back