Python's feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canales

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am new to python keeping at the moment, just got my first snake this week. I was reading about feeding your snakes in a separate enclosure so that he will be less prone to biting and associate you with food whenever you open the cage.
My question is once the snake has been fed, do i just left him in the feeding tub until it digests the food completely or if i can just pick him up and transfer back to his own cage once the food is down the throat? I don't want to stress the animal too much.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

:)

well this has been a much talked about topic and everyone has there own opinion .
I feed my pythons in there enclosures , some are cage defensive anyway and I use a hook to remove them from there enclosure/s.
the way I see it is , if I feed them in there enclosure - they can be left alone after a feed . compard to feeding in a separate tub , where I would have to put them back in there enclosure while they are still in hunt/food mode . I would have a better chance copping a bite at the point . this is just my opinion and im sure someone will be here shortly to argue the point .

Snakes can be cage defensive whether they are fed in or out of the enclosure it just depends on the individual. I feed mine in her enclosure and have not had any issues with her striking when I've gone to get her out, I feed at the same time every 7 days (8pm Mondays) so she will associate this time with food. I personally do not like the idea of handling a snake after they have just fed.

I've always fed in the cage and can get them out with out a hook no worries.
I think the question should be asked to people that feed out side the cage, is your snake still cage defensive anyway.

Given their acute sense of smell, just opening an enclosure wouldn't trigger a food response as they would know if food was coming long before you even entered the room with it.

I'm with Ramsayi on this one.

I feed all five of ours in their enclosures and have only one who is cage defensive (and even then, he's a BHP so hasn't bitten anyone, just flinches and makes a mess).

On the other hand, they can smell that warm rat coming and are all out of hides and ready to go before I get anywhere near them!
The olive thinks fingers are food all the time, only bites out of her enclosure.

I'd have to say that's convinced me it's nature rather than nurture in most cases.

No such thing as cage defensiveness due to feeding. Just an old wives tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back