Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsly

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
It seems to be common knowledge that there are 15 aussie pythons right?

When I look at the liscense list it gives me 14 under class 1 (not including intergrades)

Then Class 2 ya have green tree, woma, scrubby, and white lipped

Then ya have the Rough scaled, so that makes 19..

So obviously we could the 5 carpets as 1 python but why?

depends on your license system. in victoria there are a lot that fall under one catagory. Some are broken into sub-species some arn't.

Sorry make that 6 carpets as 1 so that makes 14..

im confused

Well it's obvious down here in Vic :lol: The Variegatas are the true, pure bloods, the rest are all natural intergrades :wink: Let's see that price go through the roof now thanks :lol: :lol:

lol yeah ok moosie, but still i think its confusing when clearly there are more than 15, actually probably 23 or so if you included all carpets, diamond/carpets, bredl/diamonds, jungle/diamonds etc!

It seems to be common knowledge that there are 15 aussie pythons right?

No. Everyone has their own idea about how many there are, opinions vary far too widely for any number to be 'common knowledge'. If anything it's common knowledge that the number of species is debatable.

Most people consider there to be only one or two species of carpet pythons (commonly bredli is called a full species). I find it strange that there are so many species of children's pythons, I'd have put most as subspecies, but there you go, we all disagree; some are lumpers and some are splitters.

Fair enough sdaji, thought it seemed a little wierd thats all.

I cant remember the details but last year or so there was a paper on carpets and it used DNA(help me here Sdaji) or something and from that their findings were three species, M. imbricata , M. bredlii and M. spilota.

I heard about that paper (through this site, I beleive) but haven't seen the paper. Would like to very much though.

Does anyone know which journal it was published in, or who the authors are?

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back