Q's about a breeding business

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllThingsReptile

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
well, this is (if if even happens) going to be in 5 or so yrs, but dad is interested in breeding of reptiles, he is starting a permaculture group, and thinks it would be great to also have some herp related stuff as well, now i answered his questiones as well as i could, and he thinks 10 grand will get it up and going, we will convert our shed into a herp room, and breed food etc, can any breeders give me some info, costs, things to consider, any tips, cheers guys

i will be happy to answer any questions you guys have to me as well

What sort of food,rodents for example-all depends on if you have 2 tubs or 200,how little or big you want to breed.Tip from me-you wont retire on selling reptiles..lol

depends what you want to breed 10k wont get you far if its gtps the good ones cost 15k lol

What sort of food,rodents for example-all depends on if you have 2 tubs or 200,how little or big you want to breed.Tip from me-you wont retire on selling reptiles..lol
i dont only plan on selling reptiles, i am going to uni, to get a degree in herpetology, (zoology technically), i want to do reptile awareness at schools etc, and snake relocation, in my town, no-one does relocations or awareness programs, soo...

um, i will probably breed rodents
i plan to breed anything and anthing, snakes to lizards to gex, just whatever, but it depends what is in demand in 5 or so years

depends what you want to breed 10k wont get you far if its gtps the good ones cost 15k lol
in 5 yrs, i dont think so, something else will come on the market by then

are there any breeders out there, who could tell me what start up involves? (appart from the obvious..)

Last edited:
Just what Australia needs is another breeder, goodluck getting rid of all the offspring and those that ask questions on breeding are clearly not ready for the task!

10 grand won't get you half of what you need.
Air conditioned and heated premises.
proper caging
Food for stock
cleaning and all husbandry products
Proper incubator
Hatchy tubs etc
And then you need to buy good quality stock! Which can be fraught with its own problems!
Vet bills, yes all breeders have these

Learning to actually breed
Advertising
Selling offspring as an unknown breeder with no reputation
housing and feeding all the un-purchased hatchlings
dealing with tyre kickers

For anyone thinking of this as a business, i would suggest being very honest with yourself and really working out the costs involved. As a business as far as businesses go breeding snakes makes a good hobby!

Hey,

Good to see that you're interested, but if you're thinking it's about 5 years away, you need to decide what animals to buy in about 4 years and 9 months... What's popular now won't be popular in 5 years.

breeding for money, which is essentially the plan, is for the wrong reason! as it is the market is in a huge slump, cant give animals away. breed what you like and for the love of it. some of these commercial breeders imo arent gonna do as great as they thought they would. the only sensible way to make money from the herp industry is to breed rodents and lots of them!

breed reptiles and you'll probably lose money

breed rodents and you'll make money

breed reptiles and you'll probably lose money

breed rodents and you'll make money

Thats the way id go people will always need rodents, becoming a reptile breeder for profit with no rep and an over stocked market isnt the best idea unless you have produced some new morph that no one else has.

Pfffffffttt 5 yrs time....10 grand...hmmm anyone see another jungle or water python breeder emerging!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back