Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sex ratio has been looked at in pythons and my understanding is that incubation temperature is not a factor here.

The incubation temperature has been implicated in birth defects, eg: spine kinks (temperature too high), patterning (stripes have suggested as more likely carpet pythons incubated at lower temperatures), incubation time (warmer is quicker) and hatch rates.

Ange said:
Grant said:
This is just a tad off topic, but does varying the temp affect the male to female ratio of certain pythons? Just though I'd ask since I know crocodile hatchling gender can be dictated by temp and was curious if this applies with pythons, or even lizards for that matter?
I was thinking the same thing? Can striping also be an effect of temp while incubating? Has anyone explored these?

In my case the incubator get to hot afternoon. Temperature is rising to 32c for 2-3 hours sometimes.
Is that harmful?

I have successfully used plain candles in my incubator when we had a power outage for over 12 hours.

Slatey 32c isnt too hot if only for a couple of hours, and i maternally incubated my first two clutches over two years ago and got both clutches out at 100%, but since then got an incubator and only incubate my eggs now, as it takes to much out of the female.

Congo

If it gets to hot wrap an ice pack in a hand towel or pillow case and put in the bottom of the incubator, fans will circulate the cool air around and keep the temp correct.

Wat if there is no fans in the incubator.. like mine for example, which is an esky with heat cord in it..

Could i put an ice pack on top of the esky lid do you think?

I have been worrying about it getting to hot ever since i set the incubator up..

Because i read in the BDM (bearded dragon manual) that over 89F will kill the embryo's..

I have heard that given the right incubation temeratures you can put in a clutch of coastals and they'll come out as GTP's. Does anyone know the secret temperature regime?? Just Joking. Really Phenotype (Appearance) results from the effect of the environment on the genetic material. It is possible that incubation temps etc will effect the genetic markers but how do you reproduce a desirable incubation outcome. With an incubator its easy but using "mum"???. In the early days crocs they used dummy eggs containing data loggers to see what really happened. Does anyone go to this lenght with snakes.

gilleni,- in your case yeah just put a couple of ice packs on the top of the esky, although it will work more effectivly if its a foam esky rather than a solid one.
Slatey,- thank you, see Im not just a pretty face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back