Question for the breeders (of reptiles)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbral

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity how have your sales gone in the last few years? In the past I've had waiting lists, this year though while they are still selling fast I don't have the waiting lists I've had in previous years. Do you think the hobby is slowing down or just that there are more people breeding reptiles?

I don't breed reptiles, but I've noticed there is definately a lot more for sale, and for sale a lot cheaper. So I'd say the latter is the reason. Unless your breeding something everyone else isn't, then there's going to be a lot of competition. Especially since a fair amount of people get into the hobby with dollar signs in there eyes and think they can make a quick buck.

I dont have waiting list haha normally a clutch of snakes is sold after 6-8 months from birth

And who's to say thats a bad thing? I think it's fantastic that the hobby is growing so rapidly.

No one said it was bad, I was just curious if people thought it was because the hobby is growing or if it's because it's slowing down.

There's a much larger market now than say 3 years ago for buyers to choose from, hence people are able to shop around rather than have to put in pre-orders with breeders to make sure they get what they want. Unless they're high quality or morph lines that is...

I was hoping that was the case but wasn't sure as forum traffic seems slower on most sites.

I think it's a bit of a later season for many this year, with a lot of clutches still not ready for sale, some not even hatched yet...

Blame Stalkbook for that. Fb is killing forums in every hobby.

Unless your hobby is joining FB forums...

The drawback I see to the FB explosion is any noddy can pipe in with their two cents, and from the few I've taken a look at, I can't help but head desk and just walk away from.
So while it may be dwindling in the dedicated forums, I still find the members and info of a far superior quality on the whole.

About half way through last year I opened a FB account because I couldn't sell my hatchies on here or through RDU etc. I had resisted FB for a long time, preferring to use APS, not just for selling, but also as a source of information and giving advice. My remaining hatchies sold in a few weeks after advertising on FB, I couldn't believe the response. However, there are a lot of "idiots" on there! I generally don't comment on FB, preferring to use it purely to advertise, due to the number of ninkumpoops!

Not long ago a lot of people were complaining about this forum (me included) but after spending a bit of time on FB, its really no different.

I think theres still a lot of snakes for sale, theyre just being advertised somewhere else. Ive also noticed on FB a lot more cross bred pythons for sale ( jag sibs), it seems to be a lot more accepted on FB. I think that's down to people coming across reptile pages on FB by accident and thinking "that's cool, think ill by a snake". Rather than being genuinely interested in reptiles and seeking out a forum such as APS.

I could go on for a while yet and have probably hijacked the thread a bit so ill leave it at that...except to say how gob smacked I was when I joined a FB forum, advertised my diamond intergrades and was banned from the site because the admin didn't know what an intergrade was.

I think there's a lot more crosses up on fb also as nuff nuffs are just taking two snakes they got from 'here' and 'here' and putting them together, rather than intelligently thinking about breeding.
And that on fb there are people that will happily buy them simply because they want 'any' snake.

I think there's a lot more crosses up on fb also as nuff nuffs are just taking two snakes they got from 'here' and 'here' and putting them together, rather than intelligently thinking about breeding.
And that on fb there are people that will happily buy them simply because they want 'any' snake.

Spot on! Couldn't agree more.

Wow just had a quick look on FB, it's a game of spot the python with 'pure' genes.

The market is flooded at the moment, a lot of people entered the hobby thinking that there is money to be made in breeding (there isn't really). Amazing amazon (pet store in Melbourne) have advertised leatherback bearded dragons, that usually sell for $350+, for $150 because as I said before the market has been flooded and its harder to shift things due to the fact that people shop around a LOT more (as mentioned earlier). The hobby hasn't slowed down, if anything it's just grown a lot, I'm sure those people selling one of a kind or rare animals could shift them in a heart beat. The market is excellent if you are a buyer, you can get stuff a lot cheaper haha

That's good to hear, I don't have an issue with more people breeding. It's a lot better than sales slowing down because people are getting out of the hobby.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess FB is why I didn't get answers to my new keeper question. They don't use the forums which is a shame because there is a lot of great info on here.

Forums like this are far better for new keepers in my opinion than FB. Ive seen some silly things on here but I`ve seen sillier and more of it on FB!

Mind you there are also some very knowledgeable keepers on FB, many people on here are also on FB.

There is a lot of good info on fb but you have to choose groups where people share you interests rather than go to the more general herp groups. For example, there is a group administered by a leading reptile vet, where you can ask questions and get info from what to do with a sick reptile to a complete and detailed run down on everything Sunshine Virus. If you can't find what you looking for (suitable group), you can always start your own group and invite people you what to be associated with and kick out those that don't share your interest or have an attitude. Another good thing is, people can post links to other groups, web sites and businesses without any restrictions from admin. What I find comforting is that people post under their real names rather that aliases like here and on other forums. It's not only great to know whom you actually communicating with but it also takes the edge from the keyboard weapon. lol You can also advertise for free.

cheers
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back