rat breeding setups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at breeding some rats soon. Just a few not as big as that, can someone post here or give me a pm on what I'd need to start them up, and how much it would cost for a setup+the rats? and what you use in there cages etc please?

I'm looking at breeding some rats soon. Just a few not as big as that, can someone post here or give me a pm on what I'd need to start them up, and how much it would cost for a setup+the rats? and what you use in there cages etc please?
have a look at my first pic on the left there is some crazy clack tubs just use them. make sure you use a soldering iron to melt holes in the tub thats 20 dollars go to a produce store and buy drinking bottle and hide that is all you need except rats or mice

Awesome setup mate I love looking at other peoples.

Do you breed them in those longer tub things, then stick them in the blue tubs for rearing?

have a look at my first pic on the left there is some crazy clack tubs just use them. make sure you use a soldering iron to melt holes in the tub thats 20 dollars go to a produce store and buy drinking bottle and hide that is all you need except rats or mice
Thanks!

Awesome setup mate I love looking at other peoples.

Do you breed them in those longer tub things, then stick them in the blue tubs for rearing?
the long tubs are for growing them out the blue tubs are the breeding tub will be getting more grow out tubs soon all my snakes are feed from the grow out tubs and all the breeders live to a ripe old age then retired into the big tubs with an old male hes 2 years old now and loves the old ones lol there one male to one or two female in the small tubs

Ok got some photos of mine, just finnished up down there.

Small rack is for the mice, top 3 tubs have 6.1 or 5.1 ratio, bottom two will be used for growing out.

Rat rack is the 10 tub one, 2 females per each to raise a little, then I have a bathtub for growing out.

Attachments

• P1080654.JPG
    P1080654.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 471
  • P1080656.JPG
    P1080656.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 482
  • P1080664.JPG
    P1080664.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 443
  • P1080662.JPG
    P1080662.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 390
Nice Vixen , they work well dont they .....I was thinking of doing another one .
Here's mine , am going to make a few changes on the new one , but the basic set up works very well .
Picture875.jpg

Picture877.jpg

im at the moment building some rat rack tubs almost the same as some of those pictured. what is the best size mesh people find so the food can be left on top but at the same time is good enough to withstand the rats chewing them?

1/2 inch would probably be best, however some of the smaller foods fall though this - like the new barastock pellets.

I know of some people who use smaller wire but I wasnt game to try this just incase they had trouble getting to the feed.

some sweet as setups guys gozz just curious in ur photo on the left is that a cat run up the top left corner or some sought of reptile run?? lol

hey gozz, what is the wire tunnel that goes into the window, is it for a cat? great setups guys, do you get wild rats hanging about for the females and food?

Hi guys, just wondering in winter do you need to cover up the vents to try and keep them warm?
Could they get sick in the cold? or are they fine to leave like that in the cold?
Interesting.....
Thanx
Steph

Hi guys, just wondering in winter do you need to cover up the vents to try and keep them warm?
Could they get sick in the cold? or are they fine to leave like that in the cold?
Interesting.....
Thanx
Steph

Mine have been fine all winter - dropped to about 5 degrees on some nights but that wasnt common. As long as they have a box or something, and the others body warmth theyll be fine.

Main thing you will have to worry about is in summer, they overheat very easily.

Heat is worse for them IMO ....
I have got 3 fresh litters in my tubs now and its very cold where they are kept .
I just put a little extra bedding in winter for the to make a bigger nest to sleep in .

Hey Gozz, are they drip tubes running to each tub - do you use those brass drip nozzles (fed by the container of water on top, by the looks?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back