rat breeding setups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snakecharma do you have vents on the sides of those tubs? Just wondering how they would go in summer without it as some of my rats died in summer because of the heat.
redbellybite - my rats all take a stash of food into their nest wether they are male or female, it is just what rats to do to save the yummy stuff and instinct. And you don't need to thaw the peas as they still love them frozen, if you put them in a bowl of water they fish them out as well.

My rat rack set up. Will have sipper valves soon. Here is a link to the builing of the rack.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps/rat-rack-built-duw-78590

Open.jpg

Rack.jpg

Tub.jpg

just a ???? since yous all breed rats how often do they breed for example 2 rats 1 male how often will they pop em out????

just a ???? since yous all breed rats how often do they breed for example 2 rats 1 male how often will they pop em out????

It depends how hard you drive them, how big you want the offspring etc. I have been going for 5 months and have had 3 lots litters from all 4 females. I only need fuzzies and weaners.

From breeding to birth takes on average for mine 25 days. Another 14 days to the babys to feed until culled. Then I give them 14 days rest before starting again. Some people leave in the male and have the female pregnant straight away but I feel my method yeilds more pups per litter.

Rat breeding set-up

Here's mine, 94 litre tubs two females x one male per tub, four 3 litre pineapple tins in the bottom with mesh on top of the tins to form a mezzanine [2nd floor] where the water and food bowls are,with the water changed daily and the fresh food twice daily, average clutch size 17, biggest 24...cheers solar 17

Attachments

• 20082008348.jpg
    20082008348.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 20082008349.jpg
    20082008349.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 328
Last edited by a moderator:
heres my set up. very simple, just using the bigger breeding tubs. im putting together some bath tubs at the moment, and another rack for rat mums(smaller tubs).
1. rat rack.
2. 6 mums with weaning mice.
3. baby rats
4. pinkies

Attachments

• IMG_3613.jpg
    IMG_3613.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3614.jpg
    IMG_3614.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_3618.jpg
    IMG_3618.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3617.jpg
    IMG_3617.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 180
Picks of our rat and mouse cage we have just started out so are using our old little fish tanks
21082008002.jpg

21082008003.jpg

hey guys i've got a question. At the moment till I can make a rack i've got the six (3 males 3 females) i didn't cull in a 3ft aquarium, they've got wood shavings bedding, a hide box, a tube (for entertainment), food and water. will having them all together affect their breeding?

reason im asking is because the last 2 rats i used to have, they'd be doing the bizzo alll the time. these guys don't really seem to be showing any sort of sexual activity. closest i've seen to it is when they all go crazy and start jumping on eachother and the one that gets jumped on rolls onto its back and accepts defeat so theres no sly secretive sex going on there.

If the females pregnant, does the male stop mating with her or does he just continue as per usual?

cheers :)
Daniel

Danny.Boy, female rats go into heat every 4 or 5 days I don't think they constantly mate or allow the males to mate with them unless they are in heat. Maybe you should try separating them for a few days before reintroducing the males?
My male and female that lived together didn't mate whereas he used to mate with the females I put in his cage.
When my girls come into heat they are very energetic and if I put my hand on their lower back they crouch there and they vibrate the ears and then jump away after a few seconds. It is really quite funny to watch.

were to u get the big rolls of mesh i can only find the 200mm gutter gaurd rolls

Where can you get the water valves from? What price are they? I did a Google search and only found them in the States.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back