rat breeding setups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hahaha, yeah go the 1125ml bundy rum bottles, they seem to be made to fit the cork shaped rubber water bottle stoppers. I normally run around 20 to 30 females and 1 to 2 males per tub. The water only needs to be topped up once or twice a week depending on time of year. If i go away for a week i just put 4 or so bottles per tub. I use a hollow besser block for them to get on top of to reach the nozzles, they also us it as a hide. Works well.
They are also easy to clean, takes about 10 minutes to change the hysorb and once or twice a year i take them out side and scrub them down. Too easy.

They are way too small for ratties, I keep my mice in these tubs. Rats would indeed chew through them in one night through sheer bordom of not being able to move!

They were bought from a 'cheap' shop near me. Don't know why they are termed cheap shops as they don't seem much cheaper than anywhere else LMAO! They were $50 each. Can't remember what the brand name is but these ones are good as they click in place rather than just sliding in place.

The mice haven't nibbled at all, but I provide them all with wheels to keep them healthy and occupied (except Mums with litters so they aren't distracted from their motherly duties)

I don't have to breed many rat litters as most of my pythons are Anteresia and are fine on adult mice. My rats live in the lap of luxury with hammocks and toys LMAO!

Those that are bred from are housed in large storage tubs (the kind you get in Kmart which have a black base and orange/red lid) whilst raising their litters, then they go back into the group cage for a rest between litters.

Saz, thats a nice clean setup mate,

1 Where do you get those tubs and racks ?
2 Fully describe the layout in the tubs and or internal pic
3 could we see pics of your larger tubs
4 do they chew through them, i would assume rats would
cheers

Just been down to see Simon at everything Reptile, bought myself some of those drip water things that Gozz has on his setup. Absolutely brilliant, so easy to set up it's not funny, don't leak and now i only have a bucket to fill every now and then. Thanks Gozz for the info, it's gunna save me heaps of time.
Oh and when i got home one of my females has just had her first litter. Our first as i've only just set it up so now i have to try and keep the wife away from them. She falls in love with anything thats a baby, good if i want another baby snake but a bit of an inconveience for when i have to gas the little buggers :D:D

What do you use to feed them.
ive been fedding mine fruit every day and dog buiscuts and i havent had any
babys for about a month or 2.
Thanks

Just been down to see Simon at everything Reptile, bought myself some of those drip water things that Gozz has on his setup. Absolutely brilliant, so easy to set up it's not funny, don't leak and now i only have a bucket to fill every now and then. Thanks Gozz for the info, it's gunna save me heaps of time.
Oh and when i got home one of my females has just had her first litter. Our first as i've only just set it up so now i have to try and keep the wife away from them. She falls in love with anything thats a baby, good if i want another baby snake but a bit of an inconveience for when i have to gas the little buggers :D:D
they are a must have those drip feeders

Do you guys have any trouble with the rodents gnawing their way out of the tubs? I had mice in a plastic tank when I was a kid and they were constantly chewing their way out through the lid.

I've had mine is the large black Nylex tubs in a rack and not a problem in 3 months.

Tip : dont stick your hand on the wire when your not paying attention :lol:

Attachments

• P1080736.JPG
    P1080736.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 81
  • P1080738.JPG
    P1080738.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 148
  • P1080739.JPG
    P1080739.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 139
What do you use to feed them.
ive been fedding mine fruit every day and dog buiscuts and i havent had any
babys for about a month or 2.
Thanks

i just feed mine the store bought rat food but my wife is always feeding them scraps of anything we don't eat, vegies, toast, chocolate cake :D Just kidding, we never have leftover cake :D I 'm looking for something different but because i think the store bought stuff might get a little expensive when i get a few running around

yes they can bite hard lol but they only get away with it once a second time and there gone to snake food

Meh was my fault, I feed them yummy tidbits through the wire, probably thought I had food.

When the tubs are out and my hands are actually in there they never bite

i only got a small set up mine are in large bird cages,seem to be doing well got 2 hides in each cage.climbing branches and both are breeding well, never take out males just provided a extra hide so they had somewhere to go when the girls booted them out of the love nest...........what i feed them is a mix of pellets,doggy biscuits,cereal,porridge,fruit,vegies and bread sometimes they get warm milo on cold mornings AND THEY LOVE IT....also they go ape on frozen peas just thaw em out and give them to em and they will leave anything else and go the peas first..........what i did want to ask is both my females when they have babies drag bits of food into the nest does anyone else seem to have their girls do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back