rat breeding setups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes its a cat run goes to an outside pen ,yes i do have a tank that feed the tubs with water with drip feeders and so far my staffies keep any wild rats away never seen one here cheers

Nice sep up Gozz!! Where did you get the water drip feeders?

Thanks Gozz, the bottles are ok to use but can be a pain to fill heaps of them.

Nice setup gozz. just a quick question, do the male rats eat the babies if they are the only male in the cage or are they just cannabalistic. i was reading an earlier thread where they say you can have rats get pregnant whilst still feeding its first litter. that to me says you can still keep them together. i've just started a colony myself and i've seperated the mum from dad because shes about to pop and i don't trust him not to eat them

That wasn't quick at all :D

my males dont eat there babies you might get one that does, but he gets kulled straight away you keep the male in there so the female gets pregnant streight away as female rats ovulate within 48 hours after giving bith

Thanks mate, that'll make it a bit easier and take up alot less room. Hopefully i'll have my first litter in the next day or so. She's in there busily building her nest.

does anybody use bath tubs if so can you post pics

I use a bathtub to grow up the feeders. Allows for plently of exercise so they grow to be healthy lean adults rather than on the fat side.

Attachments

• P1070081.jpg
    P1070081.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 252
  • P1060479.jpg
    P1060479.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 247
I also use bath tubs, posted a few picks here last year, if you do a search you should find them.
I make the lids to fit on the inside rim of the bath tubs thou, so that they cant get up on the edges, i just hang a feed cage over the side made from snake and mice mesh, its only half a cm so they have to eat the food out of the cage so there is no wastage at all.

Gozz, where did you get the rat rack and the large growing tubs from?
Mate it was a one off thing Bait and Bug was selling his setup and i bought the rack off him. He has sold everything. the large tubs i was useing as a herb garden at one stage cant remember where i got them from sorry. If i was going to do a rat system i would use True Blues bath tub system cheers

Here's a couple of my mouse racks, single males and Mum's with litters live in these. The Mums taking a break after a litter or being weaned are kept in groups in larger tubs.

Dsc_0262-2.jpg

heres a couple of pics of the way i set up the bath tubs.

Attachments

• z2003_0115Image0026r2.jpg
    z2003_0115Image0026r2.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 341
  • z2003_0115Image0028r1.jpg
    z2003_0115Image0028r1.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 331
Saz, thats a nice clean setup mate,

1 Where do you get those tubs and racks ?
2 Fully describe the layout in the tubs and or internal pic
3 could we see pics of your larger tubs
4 do they chew through them, i would assume rats would
cheers

Saz
are rack and tubs from the Reject shop . look like ones i saw in shop .
cheers Ron

Nice water bottles Rob :D. Good excuse as well. "I have to go down the bottlo coz the rats need more water bottles" :lol:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back