Rats,Cats and snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soundfix

Reaction score
meet.jpgmeet (25).jpg
Awkward,rat and cat both at the dish.View attachment 176130Cat (Muffy) just waits patientlymeet (4).jpgCmon rat,"Hazem",- to have a sratch while hes there.meet (3).jpg"Hurry-up"
meet (6).jpgThanks cat, i'll be on my way,-Muffy sniffs im on the way past then goes in to have her drink.
Ive been flamed before and prob will again, for mentioning, that i let my animals-mix?
I just always let them smell each other if they are interested,-they are well fed.Regardless of being frowned upon for taking such risk, having said that,-
I have been a member on ASP for some tme, i havent owned snakes and lizards long, but i do look after them well. I also have a domestic cat,Bull Terrier, 2 pet hooded rats.
Ive always treated my animals with extra care, im quite interested in Vet studies and hope to get a Certificate II in Animal Care.I am very interested in the social dynamics of pets,kept/house in the one group.
Foe example,Each animal is respected,fed and made comfortable, just dont eat each other.
I have a cat that will eat wild mice ect, but will not touch our pet rats.
If she pass's one of them ( all animals except snakes, jusat freeroam indoors), th cat doesnt like to acknowledge the rats existence,she just turn away until it pass's , then go on her way.
I do not allow them play togeather, alone of course, but if im in the yard, with one of the snakes on the grass, and say the dog comes over, i let the snake sniff the dog,-she see's its way to big to attack or eat, dog, isnt going to call bluff either, so they just go on their way.
I hve also let the cat,rat, snakes interect, and so far so good.
I have found that people re only too ready to except that someone has domesticated a bear, or someone taught their cat to sleep with mice, but bo-one seems interested in giving thhe old snake a go.
I know people fear them unreasonably, but i can honestly say, in my situation (and i have spent many hours with them), i have seen it with my own eyes. And even as i wrote abut this almost 1 year ago, i was still getting comments, like-ie"wont belong and the rats will get eaten",ect- But hey a whole years gone by and we're all still here.
Heres a series of pic's i took, the rat wants to drink out of the cats dish, the cat just sits aside, until the rats finished and walked away. I think thats so cool.Good one puss.

Last edited:
Seriously I don't get what you're trying to do.. What the hell are you trying to prove? That snakes, rats and cats can 'play' together? We've all gotten impressed from other animals before but why are you risking their lives..

Wait..on second thoughts, I don't really care so I guess go ahead! Whatever floats your boat! Maybe throw in a scrubby, a lacie and maybe you can get into it as well?

Cheers,
Nick

hasnt this allready been covered on one of your past threads soundfix ? >>> http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/snakes-living-rats-living-cats-146011/
Covered?,huh,it only happened yesterday.
Any prior post's may or may not have included my other pets, -if you 'covered' any instances, re: social dynamics and interaction of pets in the one household,i be intrested to hear..
No pets are getting harmed in the taking of these photo's,-i mean 'risking lives', makes it sound dangerous.
Sorry you dont see the enjoyment that i get from my pets,but as long as im paying for their keep, i hold the appropriate AKL,fat 028.jpg you dont have to.

Covered?,huh,it only happened yesterday.
Any prior post's may or may not have included my other pets, -if you 'covered' any instances, re: social dynamics and interaction of pets in the one household,i be intrested to hear..
No pets are getting harmed in the taking of these photo's,-i mean 'risking lives', makes it sound dangerous.
Sorry you dont see the enjoyment that i get from my pets,but as long as im paying for their keep, i hold the appropriate AKL,View attachment 176176 you dont have to.
lmao i dont keep social animals at my house , feel free to lend me your cat or rat too see if they give off social vibes to my animals .:lol:

I used to do that with the missus cat,until the scrubby ate it..lol..

attachment.php

Im a little curious..what exactly is that rat sleeping in?
looks a bit like some kind of rat bassinet? Is that what it normally sleeps in?

C,mon Colin dont your snakes-rodents have sleeping bags,bean bags etc to sit on..

It's one thing to allow your cat to interact with your rats, just like people allow their dogs to interact with their cats, etc. as these are social animals to varying degrees that at least have a certain measure of social intelligence. However, you are being entirely irresponsible with the lives of your animals by allowing them to interact with your snakes which are almost entirely based on inherent learning and instinct. You cannot expect a snake to understand that a live rat (your pet) is any different to a killed (food) rat. Likewise with your cat.

You would do well to consider the well-being of your charges before potentially losing one because your snakes decide to test out a new 'lunch' item simply because you are interested in the "social dynamics" of the situation.

Last edited:
i mean 'risking lives', makes it sound dangerous.
Sorry you dont see the enjoyment that i get from my pets,but as long as im paying for their keep, i hold the appropriate AKL,View attachment 176176 you dont have to.

You have got to be kidding?

You should perhaps learn to derive enjoyment from other, more sensible things.

Seriously, too many people just don't understand anything about the animals they keep. What is the purpose of letting your snake "interact" with your dog?

You did a similar thread back in October is what JAS101 is referring to and the link will take you to your thread that you started. Here is a cut and past for you

And no, this snake isnt getting hurt by the jabs to the head, there seems to be no malice in thier efforts.I realise, no animal can be trusted to behave in such a predictable manner)

Hi All, I have always kept my reptiles and some other animals inside, and over the years, NONE of our pets, have been attacked or eaten, by another 'tenant'.
Might just be luck, but ive always handled them around each other(for which i'll probably get flamed over), and seemingly the animals have some sort of sense as to whats fair game (to eat) and the snake is a little aprehensive at first if she comes acros the cat,but gets very inquizative, trying to get closer and sniff the cat ect.
The cat gets around the house, and also seems to get t-'that pets are pets and prey is prey?
Wondering if anyone else, lives with a similar 'mixed' family.-A little disfunctional, but no-ones been hurt /killed so far.
The cat is 6-7 nyo, and has whatched the pythons grow up and the rat seems to have it over all of the! Go figure.My cat will lay down a snuggle with my rat, cat with dog and so on.-
ive been told that because they are kept well fed,that they dont need to look towards other 'tenants ' as food.
Anyone got any thoughts on this.
Last edited by soundfix; 14-Oct-10 at 12:07 PM. Reason: info​

To be honest, no matter how many times people say its "working"... Why risk it? There is always that chance that something will change and your pet will be gone because of it. It doesn't matter how long they have been "happy" together.. suddenly one may have a change in personality.

Not bassinete

he is propped up between my pillows on my bed. He is poo trained and he seems to love to get amonst good quality cotton. he has a 'rat cage', but preferrs to free roam.
Im a little curious..what exactly is that rat sleeping in?
looks a bit like some kind of rat bassinet? Is that what it normally sleeps in?

Haha it's poo trained?

Mate this situation is an accident waiting to happen!

Having that attitude of they're my pets, I pay for em' blah blah really doesn't give you the right to put your so called 'beloved' pets at risk like you do.

Fair enough they have been around each other for years or what not and nothing has happened (yet), but your animals are not special or smarter than any other in any way so the one day you do come home and find that 1 or all of them are injured/dead please do not start a thread informing us of it.

Someone like you who gets enjoyment out of putting your pets in this sort of position should not be allowed to keep them.

Wise up mate.

Haha it's poo trained?

Mate this situation is an accident waiting to happen!

Having that attitude of they're my pets, I pay for em' blah blah really doesn't give you the right to put your so called 'beloved' pets at risk like you do.

Fair enough they have been around each other for years or what not and nothing has happened (yet), but your animals are not special or smarter than any other in any way so the one day you do come home and find that 1 or all of them are injured/dead please do not start a thread informing us of it.

Someone like you who gets enjoyment out of putting your pets in this sort of position should not be allowed to keep them.

Wise up mate.

I laughed at poo trained too..

But I don't think you should waste your time writing all that out next time he puts up another thread like this. I don't think he's here for a suggestion or 'criticism'. Might as well write something else haha.

Cheers,
Nick

Would rather say something as situations like this annoy me...

There is one in every suburb.... be it a crazy cat lady, the local hoarder......

'The Big Valley NSW' has a slightly crazy social dynamics animal tester lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back