Red Bellied Black Snake venom

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boidae

Reaction score
Hey guys, I went up to Ballarat Wildlife Park a few weeks ago where I saw a Red bellied black in one of the enclosures there. I have to say, I was very impressed. It was very placid, had the most amazing colours of any snake I have ever seen, well besides the albino Burmese there anyway :lol: and it was actually quite a good size as well. "The perfect snake" were the words that ran through my head when I saw it.

My mum and dad absolutely love snakes, so it wasnt much of a challenge convincing them to let me get one :lol: But they have told me that I'm not getting one until I know everything about them. All this wont be happening for a while as I'm still only 15 :( but I want to find out as much about them as I can before I get one.

However I'm not as stupid as most other 15 year olds out there :shock: And I do know that they are venomous and potentially dangerous. Anyway I'll get to the point. Even though I have been doing tons of research, I have not been able to find out much about their venom. From what I have heard ony one person has died as a result of being bitten, and that was a newborn that got bitten on the head in the 1800's.
So I am just wondering, what I will need to do if by chance I am bitten while he is having one of his bad days.

I am not planning on handling him for a while after I get him, so I am not terribly worried about getting biten, but I think it would be nice to have that knowledge as backup in case something does go wrong one day.

So if someone wouldnt mind giving me some advice as to how I should respond to being bitten by one, or even sharing any of your personal experiences with them,
I would really appreciate it :D

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Check with your local Parks office down there, whatever they are called, as you will find they are restricted and you will most likely not be able to get one straight away.
I would suggest you get some experience in keeping pythons before you even start to consider dealing with any venomous species. After handling and caring for pythons for a year or two, I would then look into getting vens if you are absolutely positive that is what you want to keep.

Would be best to join a local herp society as well. There would be plenty of members that have ven experience and can put in touch with ven breeders.

EDIT: just saw you already have a couple of pythons...:shock:

Not sure about the laws in Vic but in NSW you need to do first aid and venomous handling courses before you can own any. They would teach you what you need to know but basically it involves wrapping the limb with a compression bandage and getting medical attention as quickly as possible. In NSW you also need to be 18 to own vens so you have a couple of years to learn about them :)

This is where the licencing in Vic need serious work as all you need do is pay the money and the will issue your licence no experience needed!

There was a thread some years ago about someone being bitten by a RBB. It's called something like "Hospitalized- RBB snake bite"
It's worth doing a search and having a read through if you plan on owning one. Just so you know what you could potentially have to deal with.

Sweet thanks for the info guys, yeah I am definately going to do some vens courses before I get one though, even if I didnt have to do them I still would as my knowledge on venomous snakes is fairly limited, and I've heard you meet lots of new people and they are really fun as well :)

I know about compression bandages and stuff, Im in venturers which is pretty much scouts for teenagers, and they teach you alot on pressure bandages and stuff in case you get bitten by a snake while you're bushwalking.

This is where the licencing in Vic need serious work as all you need do is pay the money and the will issue your licence no experience needed!

Really..? That's pretty dangerous. Especially in a case like this where an early teen is interested in owning venomous snakes.

Fair enough Dave that you might be and act smarter than most people your age, but at the end of the day I don't think it is suitable for someone as young as 15 (or under 18) to be eligible to own them.

How ever I'm sure someone on here with RBB experience will be able to help you with your venom enquiry, if not do as hugsta says and join a local herp society.

Edit: Just read what you wrote about doing all the necessary courses etc. so kudos to you

Last edited:
Whilst I love the Vic system for my own selfish reasons I have to agree with Beeman. Pay your cash and if available buy an inland tai :p

I keep a relatively large red bellied black who loves to put on a bit of show whenever I give his enclosure a clean out. By all accounts their bite is agonizing and best avoided. They aren't as deadly as people outside of the herping community would have you believe, but you still may require medical intervention for pain relief and other undesirable effects caused by myotoxins ;)

I do agree, they are stunning animals! Good luck ;)

Don't you have to be over 18 to attend the venomous snake handling course? And over 18 for the licensing? At least here in qld that seems to be the case.
Ur sure game wanting this as ur first snake :)

There is a reputable snake handler in Syndey who is missing a finger from a RBB bite. That is probably the worst injury I know of

Thanks for replying guys. I know I have to be 18 to do all the courses and licensing and stuff, but I am just trying to get as much info as I can before I turn 18. I dont want to leave all this stuff till the last minute and I just really want to know more about them because they are just incredlble animals :D
p.s. its not my first snake either ;)

If you get tagged, be prepared for a lot of pain and swelling at the bite site, although red bellies are regarded as safe first elapids, not all of them are. I was lucky I got done by a juvy it would have been a lot worst if it was an adult.

I dont mean to be rude or anything but I thought it didnt matter whether it was an adult or a juvenile, from what I have heard babies are just as venomous as their parents.

Honestly and i know alot will not agree but i dont care what the law says i dont think it is appropriate for a 15 yr old to own an RBB under any circumstances, no matter how bright they are they are still 15....JMHO

There is a reputable snake handler in Syndey who is missing a finger from a RBB bite. That is probably the worst injury I know of

I know of another person up here. His thumb looks like a toothpick. RBB's venom can cause severe local reaction, often resulting in tissue necrosis / gangrene. Not nice!

Thanks for replying guys. I know I have to be 18 to do all the courses and licensing and stuff, but I am just trying to get as much info as I can before I turn 18. I dont want to leave all this stuff till the last minute and I just really want to know more about them because they are just incredlble animals :D
p.s. its not my first snake either ;)

Good that you are doing as much research as possiable, take your time about it as its a big jump from python keeping and try to get aquainted with a ven keeper and learn as much as you can from the experience.

Vens are indeed wonderfull creatures to keep.

Again I dont mean to be rude but Im not going to get one until I am 18, I know it is illegal to own one if you are under 18, and even if it was legal i probably wouldnt as I am nowhere near ready enough to tackle an elapid just yet. I just want to get myself prepared for when I do get one by finding out as much about them as I can.

Even though I have been doing tons of research, I have not been able to find out much about their venom. From what I have heard ony one person has died as a result of being bitten, and that was a newborn that got bitten on the head in the 1800's.

didnt look to hard then did you, i foundout tonnes of research in five seconds for looking.

here is a bit of info on the RBB Red-bellied black snakes | Australian Venom Research Unit

and here is the info of the target areas the vonom attacks including symtoms etc etc

the first one is Neurotoxicity Neurotoxicity syndromes Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes - WrongDiagnosis.com

second is Coagulopathy Coagulopathy Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes - WrongDiagnosis.com

and the final one is Myolysis Myolysis - WrongDiagnosis.com

seriously i dont think you should be free handleing one of these

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back