Redlands Wildlife - HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remnants of pristine undisturbed bushland are essential for the natural re-stocking of surrounding less pristine areas. Without these pockets the surrounding areas quickly become devoid of diversity and only species tolerant of human encroachment remain.

Read Flannery's The Future Eaters for further reference.

Dude! They aren't turning the whole bushland into a walkway, just enough of it for a... walkway! So instead of one pocket there will be two pockets!

I live on the Redcliffe Peninsula, but think all wildlife habitat needs saving, where ever it is..

Signed and Confirmed

Keep up the good work

Dude! They aren't turning the whole bushland into a walkway, just enough of it for a... walkway! So instead of one pocket there will be two pockets!

Dude!! Two small ecosystems are not the equivalent of one big one for some species.

you guys have to be real.......how many WILDLIFE creatures were put off ,by where you live in your nice little home ,all cosy? .......as long as the development is kept to a minimal and thats why it was commented would like to know exactly what the council is going to construct.....waruikazi wasnt agreeing with total distruction and wipe out endangerd species..it was a simple suggestion that if its just a walkway then he doesnt have a problem with that and neither do I......you all are guilty of eco invasion .......everytime you step onto a beach ,onto grass, swim in the sea etc you have a small impact on that area ....

So none of these species can cross a 2m patch of walkway?

You have missed the point. There are some species which require a certain buffer size to remain viable and having human traffic through their midst would cause their local demise.

As I said, read Flannery's book for further reference.

......you all are guilty of eco invasion .......everytime you step onto a beach ,onto grass, swim in the sea etc you have a small impact on that area ....

Ah the old rape and pillage logic. Because we impact here, we might as well do it there as well and make it all equal ay?

Ah the old rape and pillage logic. Because we impact here, we might as well do it there as well and make it all equal ay?

Nope

we need to give people the opportunity to see what they are rape and pilliaging for them to realize it is worth saving. What better way to do this than by giving them access to an area full of natural biodiversity in a sustainable manner???

What better way to do this than by giving them access to an area full of natural biodiversity in a sustainable manner???

Which is exactly my point, it may not be sustainable depending on the existing conditions therein and there are almost certainly places locally already established for just such usage. Why not leave one intact?

In accordance with the Integrated Planning Act 1997, Operatonal Works conducted by Council is actually exempt development. I only know this as one of my developments is on Council land, upon a site inspection recently i found that every Queensland Blue Gum and two other Corymbia species had been completely destroyed. I spat the dummy only to be told there really wasn't much i could do about it as it was exempt development.

I'm not trying to crush you guys but don't get your hopes up about being able to stop this. Contact local Councillor's and seek their support. and suggest that maybe working with Council's Parks and Gardens might achieve a better outcome than the one you believe your facing now.

Your wrong Waruikazi, you obviously havent seen the effect walkways can have on reserves. It creates another introduction point for weeds and rubbish as well as more subtle disturbances like wind penetration etc. On top of that is the disturbance of the animals themselves. Ive seen a few local reserves go this way, looking at them now they might aswell have been bulldozed. Theyre good for nothing but people running their dogs off lead now.

This is especially true of small reserves where the effect is greater, what little left needs to be left untouched if its to be of any value from a conservation point of view. Google 'The Edge Effect', it explains what im talking about better than i can.

Mrmikk, might be worth changing the subject line of the confirmation e-mail to something more descriptive or substantial, it got nabbed by my spam filter.

Jordan

Your wrong Waruikazi, you obviously havent seen the effect walkways can have on reserves. It creates another introduction point for weeds and rubbish as well as more subtle disturbances like wind penetration etc. On top of that is the disturbance of the animals themselves. Ive seen a few local reserves go this way, looking at them now they might aswell have been bulldozed. Theyre good for nothing but people running their dogs off lead now.

This is especially true of small reserves where the effect is greater, what little left needs to be left untouched if its to be of any value from a conservation point of view. Google 'The Edge Effect', it explains what im talking about better than i can.

Mrmikk, might be worth changing the subject line of the confirmation e-mail to something more descriptive or substantial, it got nabbed by my spam filter.

Jordan

The we have two extremely different experiences of reserves/nature parks that have walkways.

you guys have to be real.......how many WILDLIFE creatures were put off ,by where you live in your nice little home ,all cosy? .......as long as the development is kept to a minimal and thats why it was commented would like to know exactly what the council is going to construct.....waruikazi wasnt agreeing with total distruction and wipe out endangerd species..it was a simple suggestion that if its just a walkway then he doesnt have a problem with that and neither do I......you all are guilty of eco invasion .......everytime you step onto a beach ,onto grass, swim in the sea etc you have a small impact on that area ....

It is not only the development itself that poses a problem, it is the behaviour thereafter that is the main problem. I have shown evidence of this on my website.

Yes we are all guilty of eco-invasion, to different extents.

Signed & confirmed. When will humans learn! We do not have the right to destroy nature. Nor do we have the right to just preserve that which is useful to us. The bush belongs to the creatures who live there & we are the intruders into their world. We don't have to own everything!!! mrmikk, you should be proud of yourself & the other volunteers who are working so hard for natures rights. You are doing a fantastic job & I, for one, applaud you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back