Redlands Wildlife - HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrMikk, it must be tough to have to persist in your efforts to save this portion of natural bush in the face of the foolish, the ignorant, and the just plain stupid.

I would have thought that people on this forum, a herp forum, would have at least have some basic understanding/love of their local ecosystem.

Proved wrong.Warikuazzi (however it is spelt...) suggests that paving wildlife areas will make it more accessible to the general public.

Yes. It will. It will also bring every moron with a deire to walk/cycle via their SUV to litter and disturb the local wildlife.

As Croc Hunter Penny said;
Even if the council don't clear a single tree, and make the pathway between the existing trees, the impact on the surrounding area from laying the path down and from continued use, would not be worth it.

That is counteracted by RedBellyBite;
YES AGREED, but you also have to take into account ,if you dont have human interaction and basically get amongst the bushlife itself alot of people live in their own little world and the only time ever exposed to nature is on TV or a zoo.By building pathways and walkways where people can do as they do and be a part of nature while doing it ,you will in the end ,get better support as people learn to appreciate what they have when exposed to it ......if done correctly there is minimal effect on the wildlife and before any construction goes ahead ,they by law ,should be contacting parks and wildlife and get a spotter catcher out there for the wildlife ..........in the long run it works if done correctly.......

No. Like my protests against Cr Jade Hurleys' suggestion that we should build a chairliftt up Mt. Warning.

Protect the corridors you have!
Oh, signed and confirmed

M

Proved wrong.Warikuazzi (however it is spelt...) suggests that paving wildlife areas will make it more accessible to the general public.

Yes. It will. It will also bring every moron with a deire to walk/cycle via their SUV to litter and disturb the local wildlife.

How do you propose people get acquainted with their local native habitat if not for a 'corridor' they can access? Would you sooner them go trudging through the bush with their dogs and rubbish, spreading weeds everywhere? Or have a safe access way where they can develop an appreciation of what we are trying to save??

I think you'll find that if the public have a use, connection or an appreciation of/with this bushland they will be far more likely to oppose any kind of mass development in that area such as high rise buildings, houses etc. I never said it wouldn't have detrimental effects on some plants and animals but i think the longer term benefits will far outweigh any of the potential short term displacement of our natives.

Look at for example the NT's windows to the wetlands. Before those walkways and boardwalks were developed who in the general public knew how important and beautiful these areas were?

It's over the top greenies pushing every little parcel they have, most of which are not worth pushing, that loses all of the other conservationists credibility when a really important matter arises. Look at the bigger picture and work out which battles are the really important ones.

How do you propose people get acquainted with their local native habitat if not for a 'corridor' they can access? Would you sooner them go trudging through the bush with their dogs and rubbish, spreading weeds everywhere? Or have a safe access way where they can develop an appreciation of what we are trying to save??

I think you'll find that if the public have a use, connection or an appreciation of/with this bushland they will be far more likely to oppose any kind of mass development in that area such as high rise buildings, houses etc. I never said it wouldn't have detrimental effects on some plants and animals but i think the longer term benefits will far outweigh any of the potential short term displacement of our natives.

Look at for example the NT's windows to the wetlands. Before those walkways and boardwalks were developed who in the general public knew how important and beautiful these areas were?

It's over the top greenies pushing every little parcel they have, most of which are not worth pushing, that loses all of the other conservationists credibility when a really important matter arises. Look at the bigger picture and work out which battles are the really important ones.

That may be the case in the NT, waruikazi, where you are lucky enough to have some protection of your local ecosystem. Shame that you allow boardwalks etc through your nature areas, but hey, I guess not all of us have the stomach for a fight.
"How are the general public going to know how beautiful nature is?" I cant answer that one mate. I would have thought it were a rhetorical question personally.
Umm... wait til Foxtel lays off on their coverage of the Olympics? Wait til they need an avenue for an Australian adventure??
Dont know how to respond to that logic!?
Stumped..:|

Umm... wait til Foxtel lays off on their coverage of the Olympics? Wait til they need an avenue for an Australian adventure??
Dont know how to respond to that logic!?
Stumped..:|

Maybe you should let all your snakes go and suffice for pictures, no wait videos of them so you can see them moving. If you honestly think that TV is a good enough replacement for the real thing you're an easy person to please. What do you mean a shame we allow boardwalks? Do you think the environment would handle it better if hundreds of people go trudging through the swamps? Have you ever been here to see the good that it actually does?

By the way I/we in the territory have plenty stomach for a fight champ, ever heard about the plans for a nuclear dump around our parts? That is something worth fighting for and so far we have stopped it. Besides which i have done plenty for conservation in my area through both education and action.

I'm glad i got you stumped, cause that means you have no logical rebuttal to my arguments.

I thought that is what National Parks were for? So people could learn an appreciation of the bush without having to go into the bush? Most our native wildlife are incredibly shy & are easily terrified by human interaction. Why open up yet another area just for people to abuse, because once you get walkways/ cycleways, the idiots will misuse them. And has been said, there are more than enough areas for people to go and enjoy. Places where the animals are used to people & are kept there for just that purpose. Not all of the wetlands have been boardwalked. There are still plenty of areas untouched & hopefully, will stay that way.
And to comment on your last little gem! Every little parcel IS important. Take your own advice & look at the bigger picture!

Maybe you should let all your snakes go and suffice for pictures, no wait videos of them so you can see them moving. If you honestly think that TV is a good enough replacement for the real thing you're an easy person to please. What do you mean a shame we allow boardwalks? Do you think the environment would handle it better if hundreds of people go trudging through the swamps? Have you ever been here to see the good that it actually does?

By the way I/we in the territory have plenty stomach for a fight champ, ever heard about the plans for a nuclear dump around our parts? That is something worth fighting for and so far we have stopped it. Besides which i have done plenty for conservation in my area through both education and action.

I'm glad i got you stumped, cause that means you have no logical rebuttal to my arguments.

waruikazi, if I had to explain it, you just wouldnt understand.

Thaks Tooninoz, Kakariki & Vince for your support.

I am sorry you are so hard against what I am trying to save Waruikazi, but, anyway, you are entitled to your opinion and I won't criticize you for that.

National Parks are wonderful places and because they are generally distant from suburbia they generally attract people who genuinely want to enjoy them. On the other hand the few remaining wildlife refuges in suburbia that are opened up to all and sundry attract other people to use these covert area for there own benefit. We have seen it time and time again in our area, and all we ask is that the wildlife that live in this refuge be left to do so in peace.

We have ample parkland, ocean front walkways and the like for humans to enjoy, all I am asking council to do here is consider our native fauna and flora for a change.

A council that has a Koala as a logo, yet contuinues to destroy their habitat, so that experts predict they will be extinct in our area by 2015, to me is just plain wrong.

waruikazi, if I had to explain it, you just wouldnt understand.

No it's because you can't explain it.

I guess we may have to agree to disagree, it's like talking to a brick wall with some of you. Mrmikk, if yo do manage to stop this walkway i really hope your beloved bushland doesn't get bulldozed in the next 10 years to make way for new development.

the problem Mrmikk is with what your trying to save and i do sympathise with you ,is if by chance you get a hold put on that land now ....what seems to happen is down the track when development and the almighty dollar rise its ugly heads ,this place that has had no human involvement is usually looked upon as waste land and easily gulped up in the construction but like waruikazi and I have been trying to say is if you compromise now and find a way to get people involved with JUST a walkway being built now, if that ugly situation ever comes ahead down the track you will have a better chance of saving it as more people will be aware of it and want to help in the saving of fauna and flora ....its like knowing that traffic lights are needed but untill there is enough quota of deaths and accidents it doesnt happen so better to get a give way in now then nothing.........and walkways and nature courses have worked through alot of our nature area's .FAR NORTH QLD has wonderful ones that you can actually interact with alot of the wildlife ,we have them in lots of places which have helped save the areas as people get educated and a pashion to save something that they can feel involved in ,seeing on TV just doesnt give the impact ,whale watching on tv doesnt help make people as aware,but getting them out on boats and showing them how beautiful they are does..best of luck with your fight ...

Just a quiet bump, for those that may not have seen this yet.

Thanks everyone for your support.

No it's because you can't explain it.

I guess we may have to agree to disagree, it's like talking to a brick wall with some of you. Mrmikk, if yo do manage to stop this walkway i really hope your beloved bushland doesn't get bulldozed in the next 10 years to make way for new development.

Why does that appear to me like that is 'said' tongue-in-cheek'?, Not that it bothers me, just surprised as to why you are so hell bent against my point. Anyway, your view, so.......

I hope it doesn't get bulldozed in the next 10 years too to make way for development, but I am not going to sit on my you know what and say, oh to hell with it, it will probably get annihilated in a couple of years for a housing estate!

Why does that appear to me like that is 'said' tongue-in-cheek'?, Not that it bothers me, just surprised as to why you are so hell bent against my point. Anyway, your view, so.......

No it wasn't tongue in cheek at all, I stand by all the points i have made. Seriously i'm not having a go right now. Read the points that i have made, if the area is flagged for development (which is the major point i got from reading your website) the only way you will stop this development is by having community support. Right now you seem only to have support from the APS extended family, which will do sod all.

I think having a trackway/walkway through your local bush, where your community can appreciate the worth of your local area, is one of the best ways to do this. Of course it's going to have an effect on the some of the plants and animals, but i think you need to think of the greater good. That is my point.

Does it really effect me? No, not really. Do i care? Maybe just a little. I would just like people to think more about these situations and not instantly jump on the green bandwagon and think all development is the worse development.

And i am actually really surprised that more people don't understand my point.

I'm sure that everyone understands your point.
However, while your point is generally correct, it is not acceptable for every situation and maybe you need to understand other peoples point and accept that just maybe this is one of those exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back