relocation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: relocation

I think with possums if you relocate one more than 2 kilometers it will die but does this apply to snakes? Male pythons may travel more then 20 kilometers in their lifetimes, and I'm sure that would sometimes include moving across unsuitable terrian.
Of course, if the animal is relocated, then come the next set of questions, is the new area suitable, is it occupied, can it support a new tennant, will the current tennants evict it? These are questions that proberly can't be answered.
Notice how I am not saying it is good or bad to relocate that particular animal.

think with possums if you relocate one more than 2 kilometers it will die but does this apply to snakes?
In NSW, if I trap a possum in someones roof it must be released in the same backyard. That be the law because any relocation out of their territory usually ends in a violent death.

Went looking in the area... Behind this area is a swampland scrub area... really large. She is more than likly from there, I am going to go see if I can fin where she lives.. The sign says September 2005... plenty of time to find her... I will keep you updated and if i can get a pic of her I will... my exciting new adventure... in the mean time I will speak to a snakemover and show then the area, it could be a joint venture...

So do they just block any openings once you trap it ?
We get people to fix their roof before we even bother. For one they rarely go into a trap if they have access in and out of the roof cavity and secondly, without plugging the holes they are only possum free for a week if they're lucky.

RE: Re: RE: relocation

I disagree with Sdaj's attitude towards thouse he considers ignorant yet he doesnt wish to get into the topic again. Cant be that important to him after all.
I agree to a large degree with what he's saying but its not my call.
Generally wildlife rescue is seen; by the circles that Sdaji moves in; as either a waste of time or meddling or at its worse effecting other viable populations.
I see it as helping people and indilging in something I enjoy while trying to walk that tightrope between 2 camps. Most rescued animals die. Thats why that had to be rescued. Some dont and they survive.
Ive heard about this snake release experiment but so far no one has shown it to me. I think its a a story thats grown out of the Victorias possum release project.
If it did occur I'd like to know a lot more before I used it in any discussion or arguement.
I dont release out of area,. NPWS say within 20k. A bit far for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back