Reptile photography - real or fake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NEC Spectraview monitors are probably the best $$$ value wise for colour accuracy.

I recently brought one of these and I'm very happy with it. Apparently they have made big inroads into the field in the last few years, a field which was until recently dominated by Eizo.

So, how do Mac monitors rate?

Michael, I would never buy anything else... The 27" Cinema Display is absolutely brilliant! I also have a 6 yr old 30" Cinema Display. And the colour quality is still exceptional.

Having said that, the 21" iMac screen I have at work gets constant heat from the computer components has gave the screen a yellow tinge at the bottom. I have calibrated this away, but as time goes on it is getting worse.

I might just add,

Your eyes and the camera sensor read light and colour completely differently.. And then to top it off, depending on your computer settings it will throw it out again.

All computer monitors vary in some way.. So you actually need to tell your computer the colour profile of the camera sensor.. And then you need to tell the computer what is actually black and what is white.. Editing the levels in photoshop (or similar) is possibly the easiest way to do so..

I am glad to hear that. I think Mac is THE equipment for any graphic work but I never worked with anything else, so I can't compare.

The beauty of having two monitors is that you can open up all the Photoshop (or other program) tools on the computer monitor and display your image in full size on the other monitor. So, when I do layouts in InDesign, I can actually have a two page-spread on the monitor in real size. Just great!

I think mac monitors are very good, although you should try and get the non-glossy ones where possible; much better for graphics works. I know a few colour shops that just use iMacs and they stand by them. Just for really critical work they have an Eizo or NEC. Macs definately the go for graphics/creative work.

Last edited:
I think mac monitors are very good, although you should try and get the non-glossy ones where possible; much better for graphics works. I know a few colour shops that just use iMacs and they stand buy them. Just for really critical work they have an Eizo or NEC. Macs definately the go for graphics/creative work.

When I upgraded to the latest mac display, I was worried about the glossiness and had read a lot of bad feedback about it. But, even with the sun directly on the monitor it still is very easy to see..

How we perceive colour and how we are fooled!

I just love this one....A and B are both exactly the same colour...yes exactly the same shade of grey! Dont believe it...take it into photoshop and test it with the eyedropper!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 1.25.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 1.25.46 PM.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 68
Love it! The brain plays so many tricks...
Females apparently also have better colour vision too.. more cones? ;)

Almost anything with an LED display is great for digital work. Macs have LEDs (well the recent ones do). I have the LG because at the time it was what I had access too.

Macs monitors do look nice tho

overview_hero2.jpg

Ugg, I hate LG, everything I have ever bought of theirs has been rubbish

That's been my experience as well, or at least my father's. I've never bought anything LG because at least a couple of things he's bought from them have gone wrong.

Almost anything with an LED display is great for digital work. Macs have LEDs (well the recent ones do). I have the LG because at the time it was what I had access too.

Macs monitors do look nice tho

overview_hero2.jpg
LED has little to nothing to do with accurate colour representation. LED is just the method of lighting, it's still an LCD screen.

What you want to look for is an IPS display, which the Apple Cinema Displays are. The 27" Ultrasharp from Dell and the Apple Cinema display use the exact same panel.

You can also get into Eizo and NEC which can have monitors that reach into the tens of thousands of dollars and usually come with specialized equipment to calibrate the colours based on the room you are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back