reptile radiators?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionMorelia

Reaction score
gday guys n girls of APS
just wondering if anyone is or has used the reptile radiators from proherp?
as i finish off my new 1800x800x800 enclosure im getting heating and lighting ordered and what not when i saw these panels for heating? not alot of info about them on proherp so thought i should ask here are they just a big heatmat or like a contained electric blanket type of heat mat inside?
how do they work and what are they like?
has anyone used or is using them?

any info thats not on proherp(not alot)
will be much appreciated thanks

Nato

im looking at getting 2 of these too. albs on these forums i think is using them and says there good dont need cages because they dont get hot enough to burn and if installed correctly are flat with rounded edges so the snake cannot wrap around it

I got 2 80w panels and think they are the best. I've got a huge double enclosure with each side about 1600x1100x600 and get excellent heat gradient without them running continuously

Also try contacting Arthur_Wilson here in the forum...he'll help you out too

Also follow this link to pics of my panels installed in my enclosure

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155768

Last edited:
Hi Nato

I use the radiators from 'Drizone', they are sold as wardrobe de-humidifyers. They are quite efficient with low wattage but pump out lots of heat. I have them attached to the bottom of shelves where they heat both the shelf above and the floor underneath. Cost around $80 if bought directly from the distributor.

Good luck with it...

Kelly

here's the info from herpshop on the habistat panels. http://www.herpshop.com.au/pdf/ReptileRadiator.pdf

i have used the habistat panels in 1200x600x600 enclosures (in brisbane) and they worked well, however you will need a basking shelf as it wont heat the floor, i think heat is radiated to about 400mm max.

depending on what is moving into your enclosures it may be fine, if it is an arboreal species just provide some branches to climb up to get closer. otherwise you may want to add some floor heating also.

yeah i was thinking about getting 2 panels 1 for the floor and 1 for a basking shelf,
thanks for the input guys, they would heat a peice of slate well too shouldnt it?
i have a slate panel from one of those ye olde mansions they used to build
out in the bush on farms im gonna make into a basking shelf its all coming together well
2 bad i suck royally at making fake rock backgrounds, i made 3
and all of them suck lol
aaaanyway back to the panels, what are they like with power these panels,
do they use more or less or the same power as ceramic emitters and cords?
agl just smashed west nsw with a 40% power cost increase...the dirt bags!

I use the Habistat Reptile radiators, and I love them. Never had a problem with them, will never go back those damn awful ceramics. Habistat radiators are available from HerpShop, check them out.

just got a reply from proherp and a 80w panel on dimming thermostat wont use much power to heat a 1800 L x 500 H x 600 D enclosure i shall get 2 in the next week or so

A good thermostat has a lot to do with the amount of power you use. For instance a heater running on a switching thermostat or a timer will heat up and then turn off completely. This means a lot of energy is being used again to heat it up. Its like turning your lights on and off constantly!
Good thermostats get the heater to temperature and then pulse electricity to it so it never turns off but also doesn't run at full power. It is a much better way to go.

I've got a Habistat panel and pulse proportional thermostat in a big enclosure, but the panel blew out after 2 years. Not happy. I've just replaced it. My ceramic globes last longer than that, at a fraction of the cost! It's above a basking shelf in the top corner of a MD enclosure. Nice big temp gradient which really suits that species. He certainly uses the full gradient, too, even over the course of a day.

Ive got a 50watt. do you think its safe to put on the floor of a plastic tub with piece of malemine over the top or do they need to be suspened from a roof etc.

couldnt you sit the tub on it like a heat pad?
and pythonmum what ceramic do you use?
im thinking i might just go with the ceramic and cord
not enough info on these radiators for my likeing lol

I was thinking that maybe with a tile or malamine ontop as it gets pretty hot. Im currently using a 100w infared globe and 15w heat cord, though im having trouble heating the tub, currently no thermostat everything running 24/7 and at night my temps drop to around 23c in the warm end. The plastic does not retain any heat, As my 3ft melamine enclosure with only a 100w ceramic wired to a thermo stays at 34c.

for a tub just get a heatmat its way eayser
local temps here drop to 0 in winter and my tubs never drop under
30c on the hot spot in winter the cool end hasnt gotten under 20 even with the snap frosts here this week
if anyone has used the radiators for atleast 1 year solid i would love some more experiances with them,
right now they dont seem to good only stories i have heard isnt 2 good with blow outs and high failure rates.

Nato

Pretty sure the proherp ones have a 10yr warranty. I've seen people that make their own panel type heating out of heat cords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back