reptile radiators?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
10yrs is awesome,if, your not having to replace every year or so due to failure. getting any local info on these is bloody hard not alot useing them mabey?

l have a lot of the Habistat radiators and find they work best down one end , on the cage ceiling , with a basking shelf 8 inches under them . I use the proportional power type thermos as they are always on and everything lasts longer than the on / off type . After 4 years l have only had 2 radiators fail , the element burns out inside . l have opened one up and think they could be fixed [ DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME ] .

i had a 4-5 year old one fail, the other 4 are still going strong and have been fro 2-3 years,.....

also on pulse proportional thermostats,...

the one that died left a kinda horrible smell which had be rethinking using them,....but on the other hand the snake was fine and the house didnt burn down so im back in the radiator lovers club! :)

You certainly wouldn't sit a tub on a heat panel, because it would just heat everything. Heat mats allow you to heat part of the tub, so the snake has a gradient. I use the Black Nite ceramic globes from HerpShop. They last for years and only cost $38 each. However, you do chew through a lot of power with them. My latest enclosure has a homemade heat panel using heat cord held onto the ceiling by cup hooks and a homemade protective cage (pine frame + aluminium flyscreen). The cord only cost $30 and is a 30W cord, so very low cost and low power. It's working hard in my cold downstairs room, but I'm cooling that snake, so don't want it too toasty anyway. I have a 60W as backup if it can't keep warm enough. As with my ceramics, I've mounted this under a basking shelf, thus keeping more of the heat within the enclosure. There is a branch underneath, too, but the shelf right above the heat cord 'panel' is the warmest spot. I find my little infrared temp gun an indispensible tool when monitoring my enclosures.

for a tub just get a heatmat its way eayser
local temps here drop to 0 in winter and my tubs never drop under
30c on the hot spot in winter the cool end hasnt gotten under 20 even with the snap frosts here this week
if anyone has used the radiators for atleast 1 year solid i would love some more experiances with them,
right now they dont seem to good only stories i have heard isnt 2 good with blow outs and high failure rates.

Nato

Talk to dickyknee on here mate. He makes his own radiators out of heat cords, eye hooks, Queblok and flyscreen. I have made one myself but have only had it running for a month now. Good gradient and it's a 50w cord in a 4x2x2 enclosure.

Wouldnt the panel act the same as i heat mat, might try and secure it to the inside of the lid. Its a fairly large tub.

Panels are too heavy to use with a tub. Just go for a heat mat. Get a radiator later if you want one. I've made a panel using Dickyknee's method - works great.

The proherp panels weight next to nothing. Very little smell if any for the first 24hrs and produce plenty of heat.

Hi All

I hope these questions dont seem stupid lol......

Do the heat panels go on the floor inside of the enclosure or on the ceiling, or are they used underneath the enclosure?

Are snakes able to lie on top of the panels without burning??

Does one need to connect a thermostat to them?

Would the heat from the panel burn a plastic tub or click clack...or artificial plants within the enclosure??? :s

Hi All

I hope these questions dont seem stupid lol......

Do the heat panels go on the floor inside of the enclosure or on the ceiling, or are they used underneath the enclosure?

Are snakes able to lie on top of the panels without burning??

Does one need to connect a thermostat to them?

Would the heat from the panel burn a plastic tub or click clack...or artificial plants within the enclosure??? :s

You mount them on the top of your enclosure and I use a pulse proportional thermostat not sure how it would go with plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back