Reptile Rookie! Diamond Python Enclosure Size & Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alipsticklullaby

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is my first post on AussiePythons so I'm a bit new to all this.
I've always loved snakes and I was recently given a tank by a friend (see attached pic).
It has sliding doors at the front and the size is 50cm X 2 feet X 1 foot.

I really want to get a Diamond Python so I was wondering how long I'd be able to keep one
in a tank this size before I'd have to upgrade? Also what other pythons would fit in a tank
this size? It's my first reptile so I'm looking for something that won't be too complex to look
after.

I really want something with a good temperament - although I'm aware that depends ultimately
on the individual snake.

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated!

Loz

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 187
welcome :)

i'd say about a year or so, gives you plenty of time to work on building something bigger (or buying). Remember to give abit of height as diamonds do like to have a climb

diamonds are awesome snakes :D

Hey :D Great choice for a first snake! Diamonds are gorgeous and have a very docile temperment. Even in the wild they are quite reluctant to bite :)
you could house a hatchie-yearling in that enclosure but then you'd have to upgrade to something like a 3fx2ftx6ft (LxWxH)....well that is what I would house an adult diamond in anyway :p

It depends on the age and size of the python that you wish to get. That tank would be big enough for any hatchling Australian python species (too big in most cases) for at least a year or so.
That tank would sufficiently house a yearling to sub-adult Diamond for a year or two depending on how much you feed it/how fast it grows.

A few more questions..

Thanks heaps for your help guys!
I'm not sure yet how old the snake will be when I buy him/her, but I'd really like to raise one from a young age so they grow up knowing my scent :)

I know with some animals, females are more aggressive than males or vice versa. Is this the case with diamond pythons? Is one sex more aggressive or is there any important things to take into consideration when it comes to choosing whether to buy a male/female?

Also what should I expect to pay? I've seen some people say $600, some people say $300, some people say $150. What is a reasonable price for a young diamond python?

And one more thing.. I know snakes need heat lamps at the top and heat mats on the bottom of their enclosures. What temperatures do I set them at and do I need to change it at all?

Thanks so much again for answering all my questions!

I actually got the information on prices from searching but want some opinions on young diamond pythons in particular. If you know of a thread with answers to these questions, please post them, but there's really no need for sarcasm. As I said, I'm new here and am just looking for some specific answers tailored to my situation. I could probably find the temps somewhere, I just was hoping for some advice just in case I set the heat lamp to a certain temp but it overheated the small enclosure etc.

Sorry for that rude response you recieved!

Diamonds are a little special when it comes to temps. They have been know to get Diamond Syndrome later in life when exposed to hot temperatures during their life. You could go for either a heat mat or a light and I would set it at 30C on the hot end and around 27-28C on the cold end.

27-28 on the cool end is way to hot. Mine is currently in a small exo terra. My thermostat probe is near the bottom and set to 22. This gives the basking site a temperature of between 29-31. I use a 25 watt moonlight globe in an exo terra hood and no other heating. Mine spends most of its time in the middle or cool area and only spends a lot of time near the hot spot after eating.

In regards to heat, a breeder on here , Cement, posted this yesterday

Diamonds need heat just like any other python. They use it to boost their immune systems and to digest their food. Just because they are the most southern species of python in Australia and they have evolved to live in cooler climate zones then their northern cousins, doesn't mean they should be kept without ADEQUATE heating.Some of the information I read on here regarding diamonds and what temps to keep them is just flat out wrong. Diamonds will suffer respiratory problems and other ailments if not given proper heating just like any other python.The important thing to remember for diamonds is not the temperature. I have heard on here that letting them get over 28-30 is bad.Wrong info. I know this because I catch and relocate them, and I check the temps of wild diamonds that I catch. This has helped me with breeding them and keeping them in captivity and my captive diamonds also like to be at temps over 30 degrees, I know this because I often check their temps too.The MOST important thing regarding temperatures for a*diamond*is a thermal gradient. It doesn't matter how hot a particular spot is in the enclosure... what matters is, can the snake move to a spot that it likes? I use basking lights that give a hot spot of 35-39 degrees. At times they are well and truly right in there getting full exposure and soaking up that heat. As they reach their preferred body temperature, they simply move off the heat. If they feel like they need warmth then they simply lie on the outskirts of the heat zone. If they feel vulnerable then they can move into a hide which is not in the heated zone and they will curl up tightly and hold the heat they have for hours.*I run their basking heat for 4 hrs from 8am till 12 noon. The rest of the enclosure is at the air ambient temperature of the room. This doesn't go below 20 through summer. Of course if it is a very hot day I just turn all heat off. They get no heat at night, unless they are digesting a meal and I feel the ambient temps are a little cool (usually around autumn, like now when we get these cold fronts) then I set the timer for the basking light to come on for 2 hrs from around 6pm-8pm. This just gives them that extra recharge to assist digestion and I give them that for 1 or 2 days. They can do without this extra, I have caught many diamonds with a belly full and they catch the food one night and eat it, then the bad weather moves in and we get a week of cold weather, but they survive...doesn't mean they don't do it tough though. Why make our pet diamonds suffer the extremes of the wild?A thermal gradient is important, and ADEQUATE heat is vital for diamonds.In winter when they are not feeding, they don't get the ambient temps that they get in summer. But they still need that hot basking site to raise their temps so they have a healthy immunity system and they can have heat to curl up with to get through until the next day. In winter I will follow the natural weather conditions and sometimes give them no basking light for up to 4-5 days, but I watch this carefully and give them heat at the end just like they get in the wild once the bad weather is gone and the sun comes out. I have recorded temps of wild diamonds as low as 4 degrees. But I don't let my captives get below 10, and if they go through prolonged cool sessions make sure they get heat at the end of it to recharge the batteries. None of my diamonds get uv. Unless I take them out into the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back