Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When something stupid like this is considered by DECC will the general public have the opportunity to object?

I think reptiles should stay out of shops aswell, all the shops besides one i've been to up here in qld have no clue how to look after them, I'm more than happy to buy gear from a petshop but would never buy a reptile.

Why are so many "reptile people" against petshops selling reptiles?

1) They dont want shops competing with them to sell reptiles and taking some of the money they could be making.

OR

2) They all sit around with a crystal ball between their legs and can magically see into the future that Pet Shops may not care for the animals correctly

???????????????????????????????????:rolleyes:

1) They dont want shops competing with them to sell reptiles and taking some of the money they could be making.

OR

2) They all sit around with a crystal ball between their legs and can magically see into the future that Pet Shops may not care for the animals correctly

Don't think there would be any competion for prices. Up here I have seen Stimsons for about $500 and Children's for not much less.

Also there is no need to look into a crystal ball. All you have to do is walk into MOST petshops that can legally sell reptiles and talk to the staff.

OR

lol funny enough I call my crystal balls my eyes :p as far as competition goes they sell a spotted for about double you would from a breeder so realistically I don't think that comes into competition category, I do think pet shops selling reptiles is good for the hobby but my crystal balls are against all petshops i've been too besides pet superstore at stafford and thats only because there are people in the store who have a passion for reptiles and know what they are doing.

meh i wouldn't be likly to buy from a pet shop anyway so doesn't make a difference to me

Makes a difference to the hobby and some poor kid leaving the hobby because his pet spotted died.

:(:cry:"Why did Monty die! I did everything right. I tried to feed it crickets and kept it as warm as possible. Just like the man at the pet shop told me to...." :(:cry:

OR

Pet shops will sell a snake with 150% markup, by buying off back yard breeders with costs as low as possible.

people will see a bluetongue for $200 and say 'why the **** would i pay $200, when i can catch one in my yard?' same goes for diamonds, and just about any snake, skinks, gecko...

the pet shop would sell to anyone, unlike most responsible breeders.

care and setup will be poor or incorrect as we have already seen in displays and trial 'reptile in store' and by the poor products they already recomend. 'pinky pumping a 1.5 month old snake, because it wouldnt take a second feed'. they already trade expotics in many stores unfortunately. i get plenty or wild caught turts, snakes, blueys, frogs and dragons... it will only increase.

your foolish to think 'everything will be fine' im sorry but sometime you have to sacrifice seeing a bluey on a shop front window for there safety, health and wellbeing, as well as those left in our gardens.

Maybe other states need to have a closer look at their system and when N.S.W gets reptiles they should learn how not to do it by looking at the other states and territories.

Maybe other states need to have a closer look at their system and when N.S.W gets reptiles they should learn how not to do it by looking at the other states and territories.

There are many problems but I can see the most damaging are business and ego. There would be no way to eliminate either of these.

A pet shop is a business and they will do anything they can to sell as much rubbish to a newbie as possible. This almost happened when my girlfriends brother was getting his first snake. Starts saying that Garry at the pet store says I need this and that. Everything is cash, cash, cash.

There is also the ego of the people working in the pet shop. They usually truely believe that they know everything there is to know after sitting a 2 day course and keeping a snake for a year or so.

Both of these problems can really hurt any newbies and could destory many kids passions and genuine interest in reptiles. And I think this is a bigger issue than the poor husbandry most petshops have (Oh No! I have put the welfare of the newbies above that of the animals. What a crime ;)).

Even if the odd petshop does mistreat them (the reptiles), its still a drop in the ocean and no different to the many private keepers who dont keep there reptiles properly. Half the collections i see the animals are kept in poor conditions.:(

As long as the reptiles are kept properly i have no problems with petshops selling them. The higher prices they sell them at will only be good for the private breeder and it will attract heaps more new people to the hobby that will help absorb the current flood of reptiles that cant be sold. Everyones got the same idea of trying to make money off breeding snakes, we need new people in to take up the slack. :)

Too many breeders and not enough buyers at the moment.:lol:

There are many problems but I can see the most damaging are business and ego. There would be no way to eliminate either of these.

A pet shop is a business and they will do anything they can to sell as much rubbish to a newbie as possible. This almost happened when my girlfriends brother was getting his first snake. Starts saying that Garry at the pet store says I need this and that. Everything is cash, cash, cash.

There is also the ego of the people working in the pet shop. They usually truely believe that they know everything there is to know after sitting a 2 day course and keeping a snake for a year or so.

Both of these problems can really hurt any newbies and could destory many kids passions and genuine interest in reptiles. And I think this is a bigger issue than the poor husbandry most petshops have (Oh No! I have put the welfare of the newbies above that of the animals. What a crime ;)).
Thats not always the case. Im very sorry to hear but it sounds like you`ve had some bad experiences. I know people in petshops that will tell someone that they don`t need something that they have picked up.:)

There are far more private keepers out there that neglect and cant keep their animals correctly compared to petshops that dont do it correctly. Maybe it should be completely illegal for anyone (except zoo`s) to keep reptiles all together. Lets face it thats the way many of you are heading.

Unfortunately this debate is a bit late. The department had their forums with the herp societies many months ago. Mac Herps made a fairly substantial submission. Not sure that it would fit in a post unfortunately. But one thing we know, the minister instructed the department to prepare legislation and/or regulatins to allow for reptiles to be sold in pet shops. But that minister was Phil Koperburg. At this stage I am unaware of any subsequent minister (they seem to change weekly) reversing that instruction.

There are far more private keepers out there that neglect and cant keep their animals correctly compared to petshops that dont do it correctly. Maybe it should be completely illegal for anyone (except zoo`s) to keep reptiles all together. Lets face it thats the way many of you are heading.

It will never change. Look at baby bearded dragons. How many of them die every year. There like tropical fish. Buy a few, kill them through ignorance, go buy some more. The breeders relie on people killing them. Keeps demand up. The pet shops will love em.;)

Pet shops would only be in it for profit. Thats what they aim for. Where as private breeders, usually, take pride in their collections and the way they go about selling reptiles. I'd always feel more confident dealing privately.

Unfortunately this debate is a bit late. The department had their forums with the herp societies many months ago. Mac Herps made a fairly substantial submission. Not sure that it would fit in a post unfortunately. But one thing we know, the minister instructed the department to prepare legislation and/or regulatins to allow for reptiles to be sold in pet shops. But that minister was Phil Koperburg. At this stage I am unaware of any subsequent minister (they seem to change weekly) reversing that instruction.
That accuratly sums up where it is at.

to all those people saying they will double the animals wont be good etc, it will depend on tyhe breeder. i know a fdew keepers who own shops and will only sell animals they have bred and who there close friends who they trust not like the normal pet shops like in westfields and other shopping centres who will buy any reptile that comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back