Respitory Infections in Ackies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freerider

Reaction score
:cry: Hey guys
Just after some advice with my acckies, When I first got them they had a respitory infection which i had treated at my local herp vet (baytril) and it cleared up fine, but it just seems that as soon as something changes in their enclosure ie: moving tanks, or new heat lamps the symptoms return and i have to put them back on the antibotics again to clear it up. They still feed like troopers even when showing syptoms so I just dont know what to do
thanks

What are the symptoms they're showing? They should be kept very hot (around 55-60 degrees at the hot end).

Raising the temps during treatment stage should help any treatment, and you should separate them while they're on the anitbiotics. Enclosure furniture should be eliminated...only a plastic hide, water bowl and paper towel (or newspaper) as the substrate.

All of this should be changed every day (and disinfected) and if the animal poos more than once, change everything again.

Simon Archibald

ok the syptoms are runny nose and gaping breath the day temps are about 55-60 at the hot end but how low can it drop at night? Should i heat at night?
thanks heaps for your help simon

Freerider, do not give them a night time drop. Keep the heat on 24 hours per day till it is all cleared up. The hotter they are, the faster their metabolism is, the better the antibiotics work. Also, a high metabolism should boost their immune system.

"Freerider, do they bask under the heat, with eyes closed and mouth open?, any 'meucus?' around the mouth?. What is the length of time between the symptoms going and reappearing?"

Do you have high humidity levels, ackies are a "desert" dweller and like low humidity. If you have high humidity it may add to the problem. Also, how cool is you cool end? As all have sadi keep up the temps 24/7 until all signs are gone and then for a bit longer.

ok thanks guys
well they havea real slight runny nose but no mouth mucus.
They just bask as normal then go and play, hunt and feed as normal.
After the the first treatment they were fine for bout 3 weeks and humidity is low and the coolest end is bout 25C but its a big enclosure (5x2x2) I just added another heat lamp that i will keep on all night
thanks heaps guys

OK, fortum has been rccommended over baytril. Can anyone explain why you would us it over baytril, ie its benefits or effectiveness.

Jim,
I've been told that Fortum is much more effective at dealing with respiratory infections than Baytril. So, the main reason is simply that it works better.

Simon Archibald

Simon_Archibald said:
Jim,
I've been told that Fortum is much more effective at dealing with respiratory infections than Baytril. So, the main reason is simply that it works better.

Simon Archibald

Plus it doesn't scar/bruise the tissue unlike Baytril.

Thanks Simon. If given subcutaenusly ( bad spelling ) have you found baytril to still bruise Jonny. I know bigguy recommended under the skin to me because intramuscular caused bruising.

womas,

Baytril is always recommended to be given subcut. Baytril can also leave discolouration of the skin permanantly. In my experience when giving subcut baytril it hasn't bruised but I always dilute the Baytril. Some bruising can be attrtributed to poor technique.

thanks for all the help guys
My vet gave me diluted baytril to be administered orally but i have heaps of trouble getting them to swallow it all, Should it be administered via injection? Is this more effective? I am going back to him on the weekend so I will ask him about fortum and injecting? the monitors are only 16 months old too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back