Rex, enclosures and reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

picaloandlola

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey ! I have been hanging around on this forum for a wile but have never posted anything until now. I have some fears, opinions and questions to discuss, that I am about to bombard you all with, and would love it if you could help me out. They are as follow:
1) the health of my bearded dragon
2) what to do with this new enclosure
3) getting a new reptile
I purchased my beardie 'Rex' almost a year ago, he was the smallest and shyest out of a litter with a few larger males, with one which was clearly the dominant boy. Since I have bought him he has not grown much at all (or from what I think) and only shed once (especially when I compare him with his dominant bro's) , he has all his calcium/vit supplements, UVB, heat lights/matts , regular soaks ect, i take him out a lot for a run. eats well (not as fond of his greens as his crickets/meal worms) the only thing I can think of is that his enclosure was too small being 2 ft and it was glass (and that maybe he was bullied as a hatchy by his siblings) i was always going to move him into a bigger enclosure when he needed it yet I am seriously upset/ guilty/ worried I have stunted him ! And that it was too late ! What do you guys think ?

I have brought a fabulous wooden terrarium 4x2x2 ft which I wanted to put an ackie in, but put Rex in it meanwhile I find the right reptile and now don't want to take him out of it because he seems so happy ! Obviously I'm a student and don't have the funds, room, parental support to buy more tanks, even though I really want to broaden my reptile fetish!!!! (I would have a reptile zoo in my room if I could) I don't think I have the heart to move Rex back into that glass tank, although a nice ridge tail monitor would be gorgeous, what are my other options ? I thought of maybe sexing Rex properly and getting him a girlfriend ? Opinions on this ? Could he share his new home ?
Sorry I have researched a lot of these questions myself and fpund answers. I don't want to be irritating ! But would just like to discuss people's opinions directly ! Sorry for the lengthy rant !

P.s one more unrelated question - can Pygmy pythons be sold in Victoria ? I have heard mixed things ....

Thankyou so much in advanced !

The only way that you will be able to keep "Rex" with another lizard is if it is an opposite sex beardie. Also that is pretty much a myth of reptiles growing to their tank size. The only difference tank size will make with reptiles is:
1. Scare them if they're shy.
2. Build stronger muscles and lose fat if they are active.

So in short you couldn't have stunned his growth from keeping him in a small tub like that. If must have been a husbandry error such as wrong diet or heating.

You should be able to sex the beardie yourself. Very easy! give it a google

Viable Options:
1. Sell the beardie to free up space for ackie
2. get another 4x2x2 (many stack, so you may have room for that) - either build it yourself, or bargain hunt on ebay and gumtree

Its just cruel to put him in the 2fter, so please dont! :)

Could you put some pics up? That might provide more clues for all the herp pros here :)

Ahh thankyou so so much for your help guys !!!! Seriously is great to hear some opinions first hand rather than with others comparative threads. Sorry I'm not being very specific am I.. His diet has always been fine. Seeing as glass has bad heat retention and their was quite a distance from his basking spot and his heat lamp I'm guessing he was not hot enough (during cooler days (my room is a sauna) he would eat less veggies or non at all/ wasn't as active) is it too late for him to grow to his full potential ! I'm sorry I get so worried.
In regards to getting him a girlfriend I have sexed him myself via inspection of around the cloaca/ base if tail, head shape, beard blackening as male but he is so shy and shows NO traits of male sexual maturity/dominance (but I guess that is because he is by himself and doesn't need to impress anyone) I'm scared a woman friend will bully him he is the nicest most placid thing ever !
I have thought about selling him to start a more adventurous herp collection ! But when I started to even think about it, I burst into tears I love Rex I don't know if I can sell him :s I know these dilemmas are so petty but any animal of mine is very loved haha.
Thanks for the chats ! Tell me more !

- - - Updated - - -

Also ! As soon as I put him in this new enclosure with digital thermometer and thermostat so I can measure the temps closer, he has finally shed again and is pooing more frequently ! so conclusively in regards to your posts if I don't want to sell him I should go with getting this timid nerdy lizard some lady experience in his more appropriate viv and forget the monitor till I move out and can dedicate half my house to reptiles ! Or gumtree purchase a new enclosure for Rex and put some stimmies in the 4 fter ! or vice versa. i will post some photos when I get hold of a computer :) thanks heaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back