Righto Then, You've all inspired us!!!! HEEEEELLPPP!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suenstu

Reaction score
After seeing all the great enclosures you guys have converted from other assorted furniture pieces, we thought we'd give it a go too! Of course, we have questions......
Cabinet #1 is a corner unit we got from eBay for $11.61

.$(KGrHqIOKokE3ElchmfYBNzmHVd6NQ~~_1.jpg
Dimensions: 1800 high, 680 deep, 1150 wide (at wides point)
The topmost shelf is to be removed, and we're going to use a jigsaw to cut out a section around about half of the second shelf, but still leave a kind of narrow frame or ledge around the area. We have a nice tallish piece of wood that will branch up through the cut out to allow our snakey to get up to the top shelf.
As you look at the cabinet, we have in mind to have a heat emitter on the LHS (above the shelf) and the light source on the RHS (above the cut out to let light filter "downstairs")
There will be a ventilation mesh where there are the round cutouts at the bottom of the cabinet, and also the uppermost one.
We plan to have a hide on the LHS downstairs, and LHS upstairs (on the nice warm shelf).
Now, here comes the fun and interesting part... I would like some advice about the floor - not substrate necessarily I have in mind to use Aspen Snake Bedding - more along the lines of pee/water proofing I suppose...., and what recommendations anyone would have for another heat source for "downstairs" for us?
The enclosure will be to house a Bredli.
Really looking forward to any advice on offer!!

Bit of a bargain there, looking forward to seeing the finished product, all the best with it ;)

Cabinet #2...

View attachment 209548

Ooookay, this guy was a $49 eBay special Dimensions are: 2110 Long, 600 Deep, 1335 High.
We'll be knocking out the shelf and cutting out sections that go into the side areas, and putting extra locks on the two glass doors. I don't think we should seal them, as we'll still need to access those areas. We have only really just begun the planning stage for this one really, I imagine that each end will have a taller "tree" for climbing, a hide and water in the middle section and maybe leave/build a shelf in one of the ends with a cooler hide? Hmmm, so much to think about.
The question marks remain with us over the floor / second heat source....
This will also be to house a Bredli.
Any ideas would be welcome!!!

Thanks for your time!!!

Bit of a bargain there, looking forward to seeing the finished product, all the best with it ;)
Thanks Smithers!
It's quite exciting the idea of putting it all together yourself!!!

Okee Dokee, Here's how its looking now....

Going to try to re-post these, I can see 'em ok, but it seems no-one else can!

Stimmie seems pretty chuffed so far.... he's doing all kinds of exploring :D
Sorry about picture quality, the magic of iPhone only takes us so far.....
We got a ceramic heat lamp up the top of the "mezzanine level", and we made a heat mat with mdf, heat cord and a tile which is under the astro turf and his hide on the ground floor. Upstairs is 28 - 30, drops down to about 20ish at night, and downstairs is a pretty constant 24. He seems pretty happy in there most of the time, and seems to be enjoying the extra space so far. I hope he's enjoying it!

Last edited:
I can't see most links on my iPad right now, but can see the original enclosure picture. As for heating, I would put the heater just under the shelf so that no heat is wasted out the top. The snake will like to bask on the shelf, so put you thermostat probe there. The snake can cool off up higher or down on the floor of the enclosure. I have done this in several enclosures and find it the most efficient for heat retention. If you want to be very energy efficient, make your own heat panel out of a heat cord under the shelf. It is dead easy and cheap as chips to make and run.As far as waterproofing the floor goes, put in your litter guard first. Make sure the wood is sealed. Then use wood gap filler all around the bottom and for several centimeters up the sides to allow for a splash zone. When that is good and dry, finish with a polyurethane or similar. I found a spray-on one at Bunnings which was great, because I didn't need a brush and it got into every little corner and crevice. You need a couple of coats.

Ah crap @ attachments!!! Grr! I wonder why they didn't work? Sorry guys I'll have to have another stab at it tomorrow!<BR>And Snakeluvver, agree totally!! That's kinda what we thought too!
Hmmm weird, I can see the pics just fine...
Lordy I hope this works this time......
ATTACH=CONFIG]undefined[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 87
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 97
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 80